Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

germany for the summer

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

i am planning on going to germany with one of the lads for the whole summer next year before the leaving to improve my chances of getting an a and i have always wanted to go to a different country, anyways, will i be able to pick up the language in three months? has anyone else ever tried this, how did you cope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I think that's a very good idea. Given that the two of you talk in german with each other as well. At least as much as possible.
    Do you plan to do a language school as well and maybe stay with a family? That will give you a better idea of how it would be like to live there as well. If you stay say in a hostel people will more likely talk in english. And reading german newspapers will help as well. I'd say three month should really help to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Definitely a good idea. It's always helpful to go to the country in question when learning a language.
    I'm German myself, so learning German is done and dusted, but I can see with my OH that his German improves whenever he's surrounded by Germans, be that here in Ireland or in Germany, because he HAS to, effectively, speak German.
    So, go for it!
    Where were you thinking of heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

my german teacher recommends that we stay down south maybe in munich or just outside, because the people are friendlier but im not too sure have you an opinions?

also i would like to stay with a family, my teacher is trying to organise it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

So that's why every irish person goes to Bavaria ;)
    Well in a way he is right, people in south Germany are easier to connect to but I wouldn't call them friendlier. I am from Hamburg myself and we are certainly more shortspoken in the beginning but that doesn't last forever. And I think our sense of humour matches better with the irish.

Which part of Germany would you fancy? Why not go there and find out why it attracts you?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Hmm. I like the south (am from there myself), but not necessarily Bavaria :eek: (they're the Corkonians of Germany, if that makes sense :p)

That said, really, I don't think it matters that much where you go. you can have good and bad experiences wherever you go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

xia wrote: »
    So that's why every irish person goes to Bavaria ;)
    Well in a way he is right, people in south Germany are easier to connect to but I wouldn't call them friendlier. I am from Hamburg myself and we are certainly more shortspoken in the beginning but that doesn't last forever. And I think our sense of humour matches better with the irish.

Which part of Germany would you fancy? Why not go there and find out why it attracts you?
    Hmm. I like the south (am from there myself), but not necessarily Bavaria :eek: (they're the Corkonians of Germany, if that makes sense :p)

That said, really, I don't think it matters that much where you go. you can have good and bad experiences wherever you go!

i am sure wherever i go i will be well recieved and the people will be really nice. my teacher is trying to set us up with work in a beer garden. she said she earned £100 a day and she will get us unoccupied student accommodation so it will be very cheap. have either of you and preference on the work place and accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 celtic_muffin

haha, I compare it to the Cork, too when I try to explain the special status of Bavaria!
    They are nice people but be aware (as the Cork people) they have a really strong accent (which even I am not able to understand) but Munich might not be that bad, as it is a big city. It is quite expensive when it comes to renting though but if you get free accomodation, that's great.
    The clearer German (also called Hochdeutsch) is spoken in the West/Middle. Hannover is supposed to have the clearest German but it's not a nice city, so don't go there ;)

Have fun in Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

i was just around north germany recently only driving through but we stayed in duisburg and it was the biggest dump i have ever come across . i wouldn't like to think that the rest of germany is the same as i always thought i would like germany , so hopefully we just picked a bad city

p.s. i would not exactly be sure if most of the people there are german it looks like it has been overrun with non nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

haha, I compare it to the Cork, too when I try to explain the special status of Bavaria!

Haha, that's exactly how I explain Cork to Germans.
    z.B.
    Person from Berlin: "Why do other Irish people make fun of where you are from?"
    Me: "What do you think of people from Bayern?"
    Person from Berlin: "Ah...."

Advertisement