Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF failed to disclose thousands in donations

Options
  • 18-05-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if there was already a thread on this (there really should be) but I didn't see one so...

Full details: http://www.irishexaminer.com/home/ff-failed-to-disclose-thousands-in-donations-92038.html

The biggest problem here for FF (i.e. the one they cannot squirm out of) is that Durkan New Homes gave them two donations in 2006 and 2007 which exceeded the legal limit for donations from a single company. The limit is €6,348.69. FF accepted donations of €7,426 in 2006 and €15,658 in 2007. This is absolutely unacceptable and I'm surprised there is not more hullabaloo on this forum about it already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Fianna Fáil involved in dodgy donations with a building company? :eek: I'm shocked, this has to be a historical precedent-

Oh, wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Fianna Fáil involved in dodgy donations with a building company? :eek: I'm shocked, this has to be a historical precedent

Up until now it has tended to be individual Fianna Fáil TDs and Councillors rather than the party itself. This is far more serious since it is clear proof of a deeper rot than a bunch of individuals within the party taking backhanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

who could believe such a thing of a fine party trying to save the country in these hard times . . . . . . . corrupt b****ds the lot of em and that is what i enjoy telling them when they arrive on the door step !

nesf wrote: »
    Up until now it has tended to be individual Fianna Fáil TDs and Councillors rather than the party itself. This is far more serious since it is clear proof of a deeper rot than a bunch of individuals within the party taking backhanders.

I find it hard to believe that such individual TDs / Councillors could be involved in such deals without the Party hierarchy being aware of it. As far as I'm concerned it all reflects on the party, and Fianna Fáil = corruption. This merely proves the point further.

I find it hard to believe that such individual TDs / Councillors could be involved in such deals without the Party hierarchy being aware of it.

Ah but there's never been any proof of such. Whatever about your suspicions this is (to my recollection) the first recent bit of evidence that the Party hierarchy have been doing anything illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ah but there's never been any proof of such. Whatever about your suspicions this is (to my recollection) the first recent bit of evidence that the Party hierarchy have been doing anything illegal.

You mean this is the first actual PROOF ? Does that mean that this is could be the straw that broke the camel's back after all the bull**** re Bertie's finances, etc, etc, where the standard FF answer was "well, it looks bad and the people involved can't explain it to anyone's satisfaction and will even change their story 4 or 5 times, but there's no proof of wrongdoing"...

What, I wonder, will all the usual FF blinkered apologists be left with to say for themselves on THIS thread ?

True I suppose, in which case it is highly significant. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. One more "Did you know" to use on the doorsteps over the next three weeks... ;)

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You mean this is the first actual PROOF ? Does that mean that this is could be the straw that broke the camel's back after all the bull**** re Bertie's finances, etc, etc, where the standard FF answer was "well, it looks bad and the people involved can't explain it to anyone's satisfaction and will even change their story 4 or 5 times, but there's no proof of wrongdoing"...

No, you misinterpret me (and badly worded on my part), I'm talking about wrongdoing at party level not individual level. Bertie's finances, were just that, there was no proof of a broader FF conspiracy then or indication that others in the party were aware of what he was upto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

No, you misinterpret me (and badly worded on my part), I'm talking about wrongdoing at party level not individual level. Bertie's finances, were just that, there was no proof of a broader FF conspiracy then or indication that others in the party were aware of what he was upto.

Initially, yes, but there also seemed to be no desire by "others in the party" to get to the truth of the matter.

So while you're correct in what you say re the initial issue, the rest of the party WAS implicated by supporting Bertie while he twisted and turned with one unbelieveable story after another.

And that DOES reflect badly on the party as a whole.

Also, wasn't there a question mark as to how Celia Larkin was given a loan of €30,000 from party funds : http://www.independent.ie/national-news/celia-faces-tax-probe-on-pound30000-house-loan-1301196.html

Aside from all that, though - at least there's PROOF now.

Question is, how will the electorate react ? They've overlooked all of the dodgy shenannigans to date - will they again ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And that DOES reflect badly on the party as a whole.

I agree, it isn't something as stupid as this though which is the party doing something blatantly illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Sure, we already knew what was happening down the Galway Tent, and people STILL voted them in last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The biggest problem here for FF (i.e. the one they cannot squirm out of) is that Durkan New Homes gave them two donations in 2006 and 2007 which exceeded the legal limit for donations from a single company. The limit is €6,348.69. FF accepted donations of €7,426 in 2006 and €15,658 in 2007.
    I’ve been looking for another source for this story but all I can find is a report in the Herald. Anybody find any more evidence?!? I’ll certainly be putting it to Maurice Ahern if he calls to my door.

Advertisement