Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CDWOW! Blu-Rays £9.99 Delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Hmmm, they say "everything in stock and ready to ship" which is in marked contrast to last time I guess! Vowed I'd never buy from them again after the last debacle.

Stuff still cheaper elsewhere; use http://www.cheapbluraymovies.co.uk/ to source (who incidently call this the worst sale ever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Their stuff is (surprisingly) cheaper on the .ie site.

As an example, Ice Age and Ice Age 2 are £9.99 each, but on .ie they're €10.99.

The "May Madness" link on .ie seems to be all over the place though, so best thing to do is use the .com link above to find what you want in the sale, then search for it on the .ie site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Vouchers can be used aswell. Look on the right hand side of the page for a picture of a bear with "check out our express signup ", set up a new account and they'll give you a €2 voucher.

And....
    You can go through bethrifty.ie and claim 3% back.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Will they actually deliver the items though, I waited a month for a bond blu ray and I got was excuse after excuse emails and that was marked as being in stock.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Sorry, but not even Bluray for €5 would tempt me back to CDWOW.

"In stock" and "Ready to ship" means, "..if we can get them cheap enough from whatever supplier we are using this week.......then we might send you one......despite charging your credit card/paypal the split second you pressed the pay button'

Be prepared for the possibility of waiting weeks.

Lots of site are selling Bluray movies at similar prices, depending on what you're after.

+1 Nail on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

fdevine wrote: »
    Sorry, but not even Bluray for €5 would tempt me back to CDWOW.

"In stock" and "Ready to ship" means, "..if we can get them cheap enough from whatever supplier we are using this week.......then we might send you one......despite charging your credit card/paypal the split second you pressed the pay button'

Be prepared for the possibility of waiting weeks.

Lots of site are selling Bluray movies at similar prices, depending on what you're after.

+1
    After last time sent them a mail complaining - got a sad excuse.
    Have since unsubscribed - as I do not like getting misleading mails or adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I was disappointed to find out that CDWOW charge postage for delivery of books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If I recall correctly, there was a massive blunder on their part regarding pricing of blu-rays as per the prices of their DVD equivalents. Presumably availability could have been similarly mistaken as well. If this was the case they probably did what they could to honour your purchases with the stock they had. Obviously the mistake was their own fault, but it was a mistake, and one that a lot of people on this site took advantage of. Tough s**t if it didn't pay off for you. It was not a sale that was advertised that they failed to honour, or some scam to get your money. I think it's unreasonable to expect these offers not to be honored.

Now I realise it was not just one time their service was less than great. I have had problems with CDWOW in the past (their delivery is typically quite slow), but they've always helped me out - resending lost items, refunds etc. And there was one or two instances of an item being out of stock after I ordered it, but I've had the same problem with play.com and HMV over the years. If you want guaranteed timely delivery, go to a brick-and-mortar shop. But these prices are good, and this is Bargain Alerts after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

jeez cdwow again, i would never buy another item from that company as they are a joke.

ps; dear cd wow i hope you get swallowed up by the recession and never come back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, there was a massive blunder on their part regarding pricing of blu-rays as per the prices of their DVD equivalents.

I'm afraid you don't recall correctly :) From CD-WOW:

"This was a great bargain which led to an extraordinary demand. Regrettably, this demand exhausted all stock very quickly and has resulted in us being unable to fulfill you order.

These sales and promotions are launched with a significant stock holding at the discounted price and are offered on a strictly first come, first served basis. However, once all discounted stock has been allocated to customer orders, normal pricing resumes and excess orders are cancelled."

That certainly implies it was a legitimate sale, doesn't it?

It may *actually* have been a huge mistake. The DVD and blu-ray prices weren't mixed up, btw.

If they had *said* it was a mistake it would have been grand.
    If they had said subject to availabilty it would have been grand.
    If all the stuff we ordered hadn't been listed "in stock" it would have be grand.
    If they hadn't charged us all straightaway, getting the benefit of our cash for a few days, it would have been grand.
    If they hadn't cancelled our orders at the sale price but had the items listed as in stock at higher prices it would have been grand.

In my case I bought after that sale. In this day and age with technology available its inexcusable to sell stock you do not have access to IMHO

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, there was a massive blunder on their part regarding pricing of blu-rays as per the prices of their DVD equivalents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Nearly every forum in the UK and Ireland says the same thing about CDWOW.
    And it's usually ABORT ABORT ABORT.

Shiite company.

nephster wrote: »

"This was a great bargain which led to an extraordinary demand. Regrettably, this demand exhausted all stock very quickly and has resulted in us being unable to fulfill you order.

These sales and promotions are launched with a significant stock holding at the discounted price and are offered on a strictly first come, first served basis. However, once all discounted stock has been allocated to customer orders, normal pricing resumes and excess orders are cancelled."

It may *actually* have been a huge mistake. The DVD and blu-ray prices weren't mixed up, btw.

If all the stuff we ordered hadn't been listed "in stock" it would have be grand.
    If they hadn't charged us all straightaway, getting the benefit of our cash for a few days, it would have been grand.
    If they hadn't cancelled our orders at the sale price but had the items listed as in stock at higher prices it would have been grand.

What he said.

@ Sappy404 : Know the facts before jumping on the "tough s**t" bandwagon.

Similar if not the same titles on sendit.com cheaper.

http://www.sendit.com/sendit/sendit/blu-ray/offers/blu-ray-for-under-10-gbp.list?switchcurrency=GBP

As regards CDWOW; one cock-up is a mistake, two cock-ups is stupid, any more than that and it's bordering on incompetence. CDWOW have made a habit of cock-ups and all the "we're sorry, here's a €1 voucher" emails do nothing to excuse them.

I too have unsubscribed and will never use them again. Simples ;)

Apologies, I was mistaken. In fairness though, that sounds like a poor cover up for a massive blunder. I don't think they actually promoted it, it was a load of titles in their bargain basement that shouldn't have been in there as opposed to an advertised sale, so it still looks like a mistake to me, even if they referred to it as a sale/promotion in their apology. I'd say that instead of admitting to a pricing mistake (which they'd be liable for), they covered their arses by saying you weren't getting your item due to availability.
    The DVD and blu-ray prices weren't mixed up, btw.

Fair enough, I hold my hands up on that. That's what was mentioned on the Bargain Alert for the sale.

Their Terms and Conditions categorically state that all items listed on the site are subject to availability. Again, they covered their arses with their T&Cs instead of admitting to a cock-up that they'd have been liable for.

Again, T&Cs say anything listed is subject to availability. It raises the question of why they have an "In Stock" status in the first place though.
    Obvioulsy a policy of theirs, but clearly an unfair one. I'm sure your credit card was refunded in full though?

Again, they said the items weren't available as opposed to admitting to a more likely mistake in pricing/availability. But you're right, it's quite unfair.

So basically all we can say for sure is there's a possibility that you won't get what you order. The price is still right though, and you'll get your money back if anything goes out of stock.

Sorry OP. All most of us can say for sure is don't buy from CDWOW.

Chances are you can get what you want as cheap or cheaper elsewhere and have it delivered reasonably quickly.

play, sendit, bangcd, sanity, movietyme, thehut, even hmv will get my business before cdwow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

fdevine wrote: »
    Sorry OP. All most of us can say for sure is don't buy from CDWOW.

Chances are you can get what you want as cheap or cheaper elsewhere and have it delivered reasonably quickly.

play, sendit, bangcd, sanity, movietyme, thehut, even hmv will get my business before cdwow.

Agreed.
    I Choose The Hut, PLay (UK) and inetvideo & movietyme.
    Although Movietyme have absolute **** delivery to Ireland.

Soarer wrote: »
    @ Sappy404 : Know the facts before jumping on the "tough s**t" bandwagon.

I'm afraid "Tough S**t" applies to anyone who ignored the dozens of posts saying that the offers were obviously a mistake and that they'd more than likely not be honoured, but still expected to get their Blu-Rays and kicked up a fuss when they didn't. Caveat Emptor and all that. Now I can appreciate people warning the same in this instance as well, but the circumstances are different.

In the end, the worst that can happen is the item you buy is out of stock and you get your money back. But that's less likely to be the case this time around since it's a properly-promoted sale and not a seized-upon mistake on CDWOW's part.

• Advertisement

It has got nothing to do with the fact that this so-called deal is "properly promoted".

My first instance of trouble with CDWOW was before Christmas. No sale, no promotion, just an 'IN STOCK' item that clearly was not in stock. Nor was it evidently in stock at any of their suppliers because after 5 weeks it still had not dispatched.

I cancelled and asked for a refund. Four weeks later, in mid-January, I got a refund.

In this day and age it is not unreasonable to expect a site like CDWOW to have a real time stock checker. Having a blanket 'IN STOCK' on all items regardless of stock levels is a joke.

Accepting an order for an out of stock item that was clearly showing as in stock AND taking immediate payment for said item is not acceptable. Nor is it acceptable to carry on the charade for a week, before explaining the difficulty in obtaining supplies. It should also not be beyond the realms of technology to process an immediate refund on a cancelled order.

Fair enough. I've had bad experiences with them myself, but only on the rare occasion and I've bought plenty from them.

Bottom line: 11 quid for Blu-Ray is fairly cheap, the selection is not bad, and while the delivery isn't up to play.com standards, you're still likely to get what you buy. Although I'm sure the sheer number of comments on their service in this thread has put everyone off at this stage. It's still a good sale though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

dubmick wrote: »
    I was disappointed to find out that CDWOW charge postage for delivery of books

I was too - went to buy a book and noticed the delivery charge. Went to another site and got the same book, for the same price with free delivery.

Sent a mail to CD Wow telling them they had lost a sale and got a response that they need to insure the books when sending!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

bcirl03, what was the other site?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it just me or is almost everything in this "sale" €20+ (on both .ie and .com)?

I went to the first link the OP provided as I was getting the same 'SALE' prices.

Link shows a number of Blurays at st£9.99 on .com or €10.99 on .ie

As shown in one of my links some if not all the st£9.99 ones are cheaper on sendit.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Thanks, that makes sense now, I'd just gone to the site and tried following the links on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

dubmick wrote: »
    bcirl03, what was the other site?

Sendit.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I had 3x 4 euro vouchers from a while back and even though I swore I'd never use CDWOW again I ordered 3 Blu-rays (E10.99 each minus voucher, so E6.99 each) and they have all been dispatched :D. 2 James Bond films and Silent Hill. Not bad for 21 euro!

• Advertisement
Advertisement