Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get broadband! - HELP!

Options
  • 18-05-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! I really, really, REALLY you can help me. I've been trying to get broadband for the last 7-8 months.

I live in Newmills, Donegal which is about 5 mins away from town (Letterkenny). I've tried with a few companies (Eircom, SMART and Broadband Ireland). SMART have told us that we should be able to get broadband but they can't process my order unless Eircom give the go ahead and Eircom claim that our line isn't good enough to get broadband.

Now, that is completely untrue because my neighbour who is only 50 meters down the road has it and has quite a good speed (which we told them but they still denied us of getting it) so clearly, Eircom are messing around.

So after lots of persistence with them, a friend of my dad's friend is a local Eircom engineer who put us through to one of the head engineers here. So, my brother talked to him and he said that we should be able to get broadband no problem and then he said that we should request a copper DSL test to which we're not meant to know about as customers apparently but we did anyway and they of course said that we shouldn't know about that and shut us off.

So after months and months of trying, can anyone here give me a slither of hope of finding a way to get it?

I know there is Dial up but I'm looking to play on XB Live so I would need broadband.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Hey lads! I really, really, REALLY you can help me. I've been trying to get broadband for the last 7-8 months.

I live in Newmills, Donegal which is about 5 mins away from town (Letterkenny). I've tried with a few companies (Eircom, SMART and Broadband Ireland). SMART have told us that we should be able to get broadband but they can't process my order unless Eircom give the go ahead and Eircom claim that our line isn't good enough to get broadband.

Now, that is completely untrue because my neighbour who is only 50 meters down the road has it and has quite a good speed (which we told them but they still denied us of getting it) so clearly, Eircom are messing around.

So after lots of persistence with them, a friend of my dad's friend is a local Eircom engineer who put us through to one of the head engineers here. So, my brother talked to him and he said that we should be able to get broadband no problem and then he said that we should request a copper DSL test to which we're not meant to know about as customers apparently but we did anyway and they of course said that we shouldn't know about that and shut us off.

So after months and months of trying, can anyone here give me a slither of hope of finding a way to get it?

I know there is Dial up but I'm looking to play on XB Live so I would need broadband.

Consider raising the issue with Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

why didn't the eircom guy just do the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I dunno. I don't think he can do it. Comreg said that they can't do anything as Eircom are only obligated to give a phone line so broadband isn't part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Apparently there are only a certain number of slots in exchanges. My gf has a flat in a built up area and was told the same thing. They eventually fess'd up to the slot thing and she got one within a few weeks. Might not be as quick in more remote areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

having the exact same problem with eircom due to these slot things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Leprekaun wrote: »

If your line is on a Pairgian, then that would rule out you getting broadband, even though your neighbour has it. Your line could also have something wrong with it, or it could be something in your house that's interfering with the test. There's no easy way to know.

What are your dial up speeds like?

If you can get in touch with the engineer again, try and find out what reason your line is failing for, and why he said you should have no problem. If the exchange is full, then you'll just have to wait for them to install new equipment, which could take a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You will not get anywhere with semi-state eircom, just give up and move on, you are wasting your time.

There are planty of people onm here that will be able to give you detailed reasons as to why your neigbour can get BB and you can not.....again this would just waste your time by making you think eircom could do something to rectify the problem.

My advice would be to beg your neighbour to let you piggy back off their connection. Share the cost of the connection and you pay for the wireless equipment at yopur house and their house.

It is really not all that hard to set up either.

Problem solved if your neighbour agrees.

Or..................if your neighbour is 100 meters or less just run some Cat5 external cable from their house......you could even like some cheeky people I know use eircoms poles to carry the cable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i was thinkin of doing the piggyback thing aswell godskitchen ...the neighbour is the dreaded mother in law but shes more than willing to help out...what would i need to get for the wireless option? and is it expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

op

1) make sure your phone is with eircom
    2) ring eircom and order a new phone with new account number (usually €120 but free till the end of may)
    3) in 2 weeks time you will have 2 phone numbers you can get bb on the new one, but don't order it, instead- cancel the old phone line and move the number accross
    4) wait somewhere between a week and 5 weeks, and order a 1mb line, you can ask to upgrade to 3mb later

it sounds complicated but its just 3 phone calls, and might take 2-6 weeks, but i have done this about 7 times in the last month and it worked 5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nice post mukki, good call (if you'll pardon the pun!). :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement