Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a secondhand Upright piano

Options
  • 18-05-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm considering buying a secondhand upright piano, but have only ever played a keyboard and have no idea how to check it over properly.

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who would look over & advise on cost of repairs needed tuning etc. and carry out if bought.

Who would I employ to do this and how much would it cost?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Phone Jack O'Byrne, he's a long-established piano tuner and technician and he's looked after my various pianos for over ten years. I'd trust what he says. He's in the Golden Pages, but offhand I think his phone number is 8374215 (he's based in Dublin northside but is generally willing to travel a reasonable distance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Phone Jack O'Byrne, he's a long-established piano tuner and technician and he's looked after my various pianos for over ten years. I'd trust what he says. He's in the Golden Pages, but offhand I think his phone number is 8374215 (he's based in Dublin northside but is generally willing to travel a reasonable distance).

It's funny you should mention Jack. I met him for the first time, very briefly some years ago, tuning a piano in a school. In that short space of time I could tell that he really knew what he was doing. I think he is excellent. I would never use anyone else. I always recommend him to my students. Heavens knows what he must think of some of those pianos :rolleyes:!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Thanks Doshea3, will do

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

No problem!

Yeah, Jack is the man. He's a proper old-fashioned tuner too. I asked him once how does he tune and he says, "I don't know. Some fellas do all this temperament business but I just tune the piano." And he tunes it better than I've ever heard elsewhere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jack O Byrne

Doshea3 wrote: »

Thank you for the kind words, please note my telephone number was displayed incorrectly. My correct telephone number is 01 8474215.
    Regards
    Jack O' Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 eimsok

Hi there, I hope you are all well. My sister lives in Lucan and has a McCullough Piggot bought piano. The brand is Rogerseungblut and it is brown and upright. She has a second piano and is looking to give this one away at no cost to someone who is willing to transport it. It is in very good condition. If you know of anyone who might be interested I would really appreciate if you could pass this onto them. You can contact me on 086 866 9698. Many thanks, Eimear

Advertisement