Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This part of fuse box very warm! Plus: whats this?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

This part of the fuse box is very warm (transformer??) to the touch. Should it be like this? (see picture).

Secondly, what is this thing? (see second picture). Its up on the wall in the hall! Started buzzing about half an hour ago. Driving me nuts! Property is a new apartment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Erm, second thing is the doorbell unit it seems! Disconnected it and heard the bell. People were around canvassing, doorbell was stuck on. Was getting very hot. There was a bit of a burning smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

that thing is the bell for the front door ringer

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Erm, second thing is the doorbell unit it seems! Disconnected it and heard the bell. People were around canvassing, doorbell was stuck on. Was getting very hot. There was a bit of a burning smell.

The first pic is your bell transformer, and if your door bell was stuck on for a while this part will most definatly get quite hot to touch, once the door bell is now unstuck it should cool down.

Thanks for the replys fellas! Both were getting warm. If the bell was stuck on long enough, is there a fire risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Yes

• Advertisement

Thanks eoghan. Suspicious of it now. What if you were out all day or away on holiday even, and this happened? Bell transformer has cooled down but its still slightly warm. Is this normal?

Might disconnect it altogether and get a traditional door knocker. It might be safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there should be no issue with the transformer in the door, Eoghan is right it could be a risk, but it has a CE mark and I assume that it needs some sort of thermal cut out.

Maybe what you need is a good quality bell push, they are not that expensive, sometimes they are just mounted on uneven surfaces causing them to stick, simple enough to address, replace or refit on an even surface.

If you are really that concerned about it, get a battery operated one, the batteries will run out if its left on --- a primitive cutoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Stoner wrote: »
    there should be no issue with the transformer in the door, Eoghan is right it could be a risk, but it has a CE mark and I assume that it needs some sort of thermal cut out.

Maybe what you need is a good quality bell push, they are not that expensive, sometimes they are just mounted on uneven surfaces causing them to stick, simple enough to address, replace or refit on an even surface.

If you are really that concerned about it, get a battery operated one, the batteries will run out if its left on --- a primitive cutoff.

Most decent brands of transformers have termal cutouts and the brand you have is decent enough, Stoner is most likly correct in what he is saying about the bell push, replace it and I am sure your problem will be solved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think the bell transformer is designed to be short circuited for prolong periods without damage.

I think it is to do with the way the core ahs air gaps.

A while since I studdied this so open to correction

Advertisement