Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental for 18yo??

Options
  • 18-05-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi anyone know where i could go about renting a car from lisbon airport. Im 18 and dont have just less than a years driving so it could be tricky to find?? Ive tried a few places but minimum age seems to be 19.Any ideas?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

dont think ya have a hope...i was looking into car rental a year or two ago when i was planning a holiday and i had no luck. i was twenty then...most i think said i had to be 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ottostreet wrote: »
    dont think ya have a hope...i was looking into car rental a year or two ago when i was planning a holiday and i had no luck. i was twenty then...most i think said i had to be 23.

Yeah that's what i found when i was looking online, although i think there are people who'll insure younger though. But at 18 with less than a years driving i'd say you have little or no hope. Do you have your full license OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

You can indeed rent as an 18 yo, but they will load the rate. HEres a search site that lists lots of different providers for Lisbon. I searched with age = 18.

https://www.arguscarhire.com/argusBook.html?clientID=26649&temp=hybrid1&countryID=PT&pickupID=2640&returnID=2640&pickupName=Lisbon%20-%20Airport&returnName=lisbon%20-%20airport&pickupDate=14&pickupMonth=5&pickupYear=2009&returnDate=17&returnMonth=5&returnYear=2009&pickupHour=10&pickupMinute=0&returnHour=10&returnMinute=0&age=18&currencyID=EUR&carGroupID=0&residence=Ireland&residenceID=IE#book

If you click 'rate details' you'll see:

Drivers Age

22 to 99 Years

Young Drivers Age: Minimum 18 Years Charge 7 EUR per Day Includes 20% Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I couldn't find anywhere in Spain, better luck in portugal maybe.. Germany was no bother.
    Nice spot on the site argus, but if it's an affiliate site it's useless as they normally don't bother checking with the individual agency on actual age, leaving you in trouble if you arrive at the airport and no car...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

cianclarke wrote: »
    I couldn't find anywhere in Spain, better luck in portugal maybe.. Germany was no bother.
    Nice spot on the site argus, but if it's an affiliate site it's useless as they normally don't bother checking with the individual agency on actual age, leaving you in trouble if you arrive at the airport and no car...

its can be touch and go at the desk alright, but as far as I know (from working in the industry while in college years ago) those broker sites all get the terms and even the opening hours loaded from each and every supplier.
    otherwise I suppose we could search for cars in knock airport for pick-up at 4am, and still get results; so I'm guessing there is some smarts going on in the background to ensure those terms are right for each result.

try search with age = 45 and see if it returns more options, that should give more confidence in the results I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭The-Ry-Man06

cheers lads, ye i had found the argus site and i dont reli mind the load as im only goin for a week and really need the car. A friend of mine (apparently) rang argus car rentals and they said you need a years driving experience but as someone pointed out to me i could argue that ive been driving for a year and a half but 7 months on a provisional as i got my full licence 8 months ago?? think it would work? i have my doubts theyd go for it.:p

Advertisement