Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog shedding a lot of hair...help!!

Options
  • 18-05-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We got a rescue dog about three months ago and we absolutely love him. All is going well, he's a black labrador and is about 2 years old and is very well behaved. Over the last 2/3 weeks though he has begun to shed a lot of hair, so much so that the kitchen resembles a barbershop at least twice a day. When we groom/brush him he sheds an unbelievable amount of hair. Is there anything we can do about this, or is it just because we are entering the summer months that this has started to happen, that it is a seasonal moult?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Broad

Great to hear he is doing so well with you! He is lucky to have found a great home where he gets on so well with the people in it. This is probably his early summer moult, losing hair before the (hopefully!) warm weather to come. He has two types of hair, the glossy outer layer and an undercoat which is quite fine. Trust me I know the feeling of wading through dog hair, I have four as big or bigger than yours and I'm afraid to say they lose hair all year round, it is like tumble weed on wooden floors and adds a whole new tone to carpets :) Hopefully he will stop moulting so heavily in a couple of weeks when his undercoat thins out.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭383Ger

Thanks Broad...we suspected that alright...off to the shops now for the extra bin bags;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

http://www.thebigbigpetshop.ie/product.asp?P_ID=11032

i can't reccomend this tool enough... i own two short coated dogs and its a must in my house at moulting time! 5mins a day and you'll be surprised at how much hair comes off!

There are cheapers versions of this tool out there also !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I have two greyhounds (very short coats) and I use a soft rubber horse curry comb to groom them. They shed a surprisingly enormous amount, but they absolutely love being groomed which helps. The curry comb massages them at the same time, and they push each other out of the way to get to the brush first. It pulls out alot of hair and easy to remove it afterwards.
    Its similar to the Zoom-groom, which is also great, but any horsie shops will sell the curry combs for less than a zoom-groom I would imagine.

Advertisement