Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please

Options
  • 18-05-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I am a noob when it comes to websites but i decided to give a template site a go. I have changed all the text and layout to suit on the first page. When i downloaded the template it contained an index file that i have changed to suit Now i want to work on the about us page. But i only have an index file and no about us file .. What do i do ????
    Sorry if this is a stupid question :confused:

Comments

You will have to create an about page.

So for every web page on your site, there will be a file representing it visable in the directory holding them.

They will have to be named appropriately for the code to find them, ie, index.html, which you have already created, and next aboutus.html, etc.

What are you using to create the website? ie, notepad, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭iconnect

NoDrama wrote: »
    You will have to create an about page.

So for every web page on your site, there will be a file representing it visable in the directory holding them.

They will have to be named appropriately for the code to find them, ie, index.html, which you have already created, and next aboutus.html, etc.

What are you using to create the website? ie, notepad, etc.

Thanks No drama
    I am using Evrsoft First page as an editor. So let me get this right. If i use the index page as a template and make the desired changes and save as aboutus.html and place it in the same folder as the index.html that page should display when uploaded. Do i not have to link the about us oage on the web to the file by some sort of code also

No worries iconnect,

First I am no webmaster, though I have made a couple of websites, assignments for college and personal ones.

I could be going against all Nielson Principles, so if any webmasters see this sorry.

What I do iconnect, is ya create a folder which will hold the contents of your site, the xxxx.html files and relevant files such as jpegs, etc.

In your index and whateverother files, in this case theres only 2, home and about us, they are assigned by the href attribute, which specifies the link's destination, example as below

<a href="yourwebsitenamefolder/index.html">Home</font></a>
    <a href="..yourwebsitenamefolder/about.html">About Us</a>

This site will give you an insight to all html and its delights
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_a_href.asp

Again I am no web developer, studying computer management, so I hope the above is off some benefit.

Regards.

NoDrama

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

iconnect wrote: »
    Do i not have to link the about us oage on the web to the file by some sort of code also
    You will have to add a link to the About Us page.
    The template should have some suggested links - copy them and change the text.

Advertisement