Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband question

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Originally Posted by _Sidhe_ View Post
    I know that internet forums are all about opinions, but that doesn't mean that baseless acusations shouldn't be questioned.
    baseless - without a basis in reason or fact

Poster after poster on boards has complained of poor experience with UPC.

The Irish Times article I quoted earlier named them as the most complained about company in 2008 (not just isp mind you) and in the article a senior upc person acknowledged a problem. Now when a senior person in any company acknowledges a problem thats usually a major admission.

So the company themselves acknowlege a problem and you wont?:rolleyes:
    Originally Posted by _Sidhe_

Yes, UPC could have tried to fix all of the Customer Service problems.
    But if they had, there's no way that they would have been able to be ready to roll out 120mb Broadband by next year.

And why not? Surely they are two very different 'things'? What exactly has improving customer service got to do with rolling out 120mb bb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

_Sidhe_ wrote:
    But it seems that all you have to do is mention the words UPC to get certain posters in here badmouthing the Tech support.
    And as soon as you disagree with them, you either work for the company, or it's all a big conspiracy.

nuxxx wrote: »
    Do you work for UPC or have a friend/relation that does? You`ll really taking this to heart

'nuff said.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Irish Contact Center And Shared Services Awards 2008

Best Training Programme

Winner: UPC

Best Technical Support Center/Helpdesk

Runner up: UPC

Best Use Of Technology

Winner UPC

So there you go Dub.

5 minutes of googling found me that, just like you.
    Or maybe I was talking about how yet again Dub refused to address any points that he couldn't answer.
    Such as How I listed 5 awards, and he only countered 2 of them.
    The most important one that he conveniently forgot, being UPC Technical Support finishing runner up in the Irish Contact Center And Shared Media Awards.

Yes Dub.
    Fail to address a posters valid points again.
    Just return with a "witty" response

Hope that works out well for you.

But going back to Dub.
    Are you going to answer my question yet?
    You want to go all Mulder and Scully on the Digital media awards (not to mention ask for the judges life stories, shoe sizes, and what they had for dinner!), grand.
    In a way I can see your point.
    Even if nothing untowards happened.
    It does look a bit dodgy.
    So, I'll ask you again.

Irish Contact Centre And Shared Services Awards 2008

The technical support that you were asked about in the first place, came second.

Now.
    Let me guess.
    The CEO of UPC is actually going out with the CCMA heads mother.:rolleyes:

So......Dub.
    I can ask again if you want?

Or will I just "do a Dub45" and try and be witty.
    Definition wrote:
    Noun 1. avoidance - deliberately avoiding; keeping away from or preventing from happening
    shunning, turning away, dodging

jor el wrote:
    No, if it's a genuine experience by the poster.

One customers experience doesn't make their oppinion fact.
    100 customers experience doesn't.
    1,000 customers doesn't.

jor el wrote:
    You call it biased and misleading. I call it a truthful and honest experience. It's only biased or misleading, if the users experience leading them to make that statement were falsified or exaggerated.

So saying the other ISP's couldn't be any worse if they tried, isn't exagerating?
    I think you should borrow Dub 45's dictionary.
    jor el wrote:
    I had a bad experience with BT Ireland, twice, and both times they called it a once off incident, even though it was the exact same thing both times, and it was the same thing that many others had experienced. I wrote a letter to the CEO where I compared the actions of his company to that of gangsters, by trying to extort money out of me using false debts and threats of legal action. Is it biased or misleading of me to let as many people know of the possible pitfalls of becoming a BT Ireland customer? I don't think so, and I've warned many people of my experience, and will continue doing so in the future.

And you are fully within your rights to do so.
    But you always preface it with aknowledgment that it's your experience.
    And if you were seemingly posting in every second BT thread, then it would be bordering on ridiculous and obsesive.
    Especially when you constantly post the expression "I always say people always expect way too much from their ISP's" in threads on most other ISP providers (again refference Dub here.)
    jor el wrote:
    My opinion of BT Ireland's customer care would be similar to the quote you gave about UPC above, as a result of my lengthy experience with them.

But does that mean that BT are the worst customer service ever?
    No, it means in your oppinion they are.
    And if someone asks me of my genuine oppinion on Eircom, I'll give it, but clearly preface it with the fact that this is my oppinion, and I know plenty of people who've had no problems.
    But in this thread, the question was about UPC.
    UPC have good and bad points.
    Cheaper.
    Faster.
    New Speeds coming out.
    etc...

But Dub chose, for whatever reasons he has, to fixate on the bad things.
    As he always does.
    It gives an unballanced and skewed view to the original poster.
    jor el wrote:
    The Three thread over on the Midband forum is full of complaints about being asked to do the same thing over and over, and about the language barrier of explaining your problems to someone who isn't a native English speaker. I have also seen complaints about pretty much all the ISPs, in which people have not accepted all those things you listed here. This is not exclusive to UPC complainers, so don't make out that it is.

But if UPC are "the worst" and you're asked why they're the worst, and the only reasons you can give are the exact same problems that the other ISP's have, can you not see how this is holding the other ISP's to a different standard?

BT/Eircom/UPC/3 etc all have the same problems by your own admission but....... "I really dont think any of the others could be quite as bad as UPC no matter how hard they tried".....this is what gets posted.

jor el wrote:
    There are pros and cons with all ISPs, be it support, price, availability, speed issues, etc, and anyone asking about any ISP should be informed of them. If your experience was positive, say so, if it was negative, say that too.

Look up two posts.
    This is what happens (I've only posted here a little over a month, and it's the fourth time I think), when you say anything good about UPC.

jor el wrote:
    No, and you've put your argument forward for all to see and make up their own minds.

I've been trying to, but the person I've "disagreeing with" seems to have missed all of my posts somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But if UPC are "the worst" and you're asked why they're the worst, and the only reasons you can give are the exact same problems that the other ISP's have, can you not see how this is holding the other ISP's to a different standard?

BT/Eircom/UPC/3 etc all have the same problems by your own admission but....... "I really dont think any of the others could be quite as bad as UPC no matter how hard they tried".....this is what gets posted.

Users experience will vary, if you're asked an opinion, then you give one. If you're opinion is (right or wrong) that UPC have the worst customer service, then why not say that?

I've actually lost the point of where this is going now, so I'm not posting anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good god, I've not seen a thread go around in circles this much since the discussions about roundabouts on the motor forum*.

Lads give it a rest beating a dead horse, this discussion is over.

*May not have happened

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement