Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVA suits in new movie - possible spoiler

Options
  • 18-05-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

hi,

does anyone know if the suits that Kirk, Sulu and Olsen wear when diving from the shuttlecraft to the drill are specifically made for that type of mission or if they are Starfleet "spacewalk" suits?

also, was Kirk wearing a Life Sciences version of the suit?
    I know Olsen had red, and I'm pretty sure Sulu was command gold.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd have assumed they were designed specifically for low altitude (high altitude? Whatever altitude) jumps or whatever .... like what Torres did in Voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

but in the realm of the TREKVERSE is there any reason why they could not be "space suits"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

but in the realm of the TREKVERSE is there any reason why they could not be "space suits"?

Well I'm not sure if they had this technology yet, but in First Contact and the series space suits had grav boots that locked onto the hull of a ship, the EVA suits from Star Trek seemed to lack that ability.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Random wrote: »
    I'd have assumed they were designed specifically for low altitude (high altitude? Whatever altitude) jumps or whatever .... like what Torres did in Voyager.
    HALO Jump, High Altitude Low Opening jump

They didnt seem to have grav boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,351 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We actually have or are close to doing the same thing today, from satellite orbit. It was in a popsci magazine a couple years ago. fascinating stuff. Just a cost issue really.

The only bit I dont buy into was the retracting chutes. But I suppose. Whatever. Theyve got a good bit of time on us to develop cool ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW As I'm sure you all know an orbital skydiving scene was filmed for the opening of Generations.

Its obviously unfinished but IMHO they were right to leave it out cos it looks crap.

Advertisement