Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOLE

Options
  • 18-05-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey everyone,

Im just fininshed my degree and im finding it very hard to get a job. I was just wondering what everyones plan is, are people finding they are in the same boat as me... I have no money coming in and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to draw the dole?? If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it...

:):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Can't claim anything for 13 weeks as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Brimmy wrote: »
    Can't claim anything for 13 weeks as far as I know.

This is true, but according to county council candidate in my area who worked in the county council for 10 years, if you put yourself on the housing list in the county council (everyone above the age of 18 is entitled to a house, no joke this is serious), you get the job seekers allowance immediately, no 13 week wait!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ive started two business ventures. Possibly tap up that dole office myself at some stage.

Grimes wrote: »
    Ive started two business ventures. Possibly tap up that dole office myself at some stage.

I should report you for that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

janabelle wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Im just fininshed my degree and im finding it very hard to get a job. I was just wondering what everyones plan is, are people finding they are in the same boat as me... I have no money coming in and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to draw the dole?? If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it...

:):):):)
    You've given up on the first business day after the end of exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

it'll be tough to find a job alright. maybe chill out for a while eh. bet your tired from studyin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

conbob wrote: »
    it'll be tough to find a job alright. maybe chill out for a while eh. bet your tired from studyin :)

Or maybe get up off your arse and look. The exams ended at most 2 weeks ago for this person i presume. There are still jobs, you just gotta be very proactive and work to get them. I finished wednesday and started work in a bank on monday

started work in a bank on monday

Arts Degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Arts Degree?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Arts Degree?

yes

• Advertisement

yes

See you there

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sivousplait

El Siglo wrote: »
    This is true, but according to county council candidate in my area who worked in the county council for 10 years, if you put yourself on the housing list in the county council (everyone above the age of 18 is entitled to a house, no joke this is serious), you get the job seekers allowance immediately, no 13 week wait!;)

tell me more please...can u be entitled to the job seekers allowance if you're still in college? im only jus finishd first yr..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sivousplait

Or maybe get up off your arse and look. The exams ended at most 2 weeks ago for this person i presume. There are still jobs, you just gotta be very proactive and work to get them. I finished wednesday and started work in a bank on monday

exams only ended on saturday mate so dont be so harsh. it's tough to find a job. think of the amount of graduates in relation to the amount of jobs available. not every1 is gonna get 1. and plus a lot of places will be looking for the degree to assist in the job rather than jus gettin sum part time job that'll last ya for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

tell me more please...can u be entitled to the job seekers allowance if you're still in college? im only jus finishd first yr..

If you're not dropping out of college, there'll be no dole for you. You're still going through the education system so you're not eligible. I've heard from people lying and saying that they've finished college, but I don't know how true that is. A friend who went to claim had to get a letter from UCD saying he was finished his degree.
    it's tough to find a job. think of the amount of graduates in relation to the amount of jobs available. not every1 is gonna get 1. and plus a lot of places will be looking for the degree to assist in the job rather than jus gettin sum part time job that'll last ya for the summer.

In fairness you've really gotta try to get a job before you can say there's none out there. I know there is about five to eight sales assistant jobs going in Dundrum town centre. Also there are a lot of companies that hire students for summer work. I'd say it is harder to get jobs, but they're still there.
    janabelle wrote:
    I have no money coming in and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to draw the dole?? If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it...

I don't know all the details, but if you're out of work you could apply for the dole, and if you're in work by the time the dole cheques start coming through, you can still claim for the weeks you weren't working. I know you definitely need to bring proof that you've applied for jobs; best thing to do is apply for some on jobs.ie and print out confirmation emails you get sent. Admin in UCD will also give you a letter which says you've finished your final year in college and are waiting for your results.

You've gotten so mean since we've finished college :(

There are jobs out there sure but they're harder to get considering the volume of people applying for each individual job now. Personally I've sent off about 60 plus CVs to positions all of which I'm more than qualified for and not a single one has called me back....so that being said how would one go about using our toilet paper degrees to get a Bank job? ;)

You've gotten so mean since we've finished college :(

There are jobs out there sure but they're harder to get considering the volume of people applying for each individual job now. Personally I've sent off about 60 plus CVs to positions all of which I'm more than qualified for and not a single one has called me back....so that being said how would one go about using our toilet paper degrees to get a Bank job? ;)

Here's who people are blaming for the lack of jobs...
    Pretty messed up so it is!

No, if you are in third level you can't claim job-seekers, so you're stuck till you're finished your degree. Think about it, if every student was entitled to the dole would there be an point in going to college?

No, if you are in third level you can't claim job-seekers, so you're stuck till you're finished your degree. Think about it, if every student was entitled to the dole would there be an point in going to college?
    yes, to get a job that paid more than the dole. Infact, there would be no point in not going to college.

What was you line of thinking?

yes, to get a job that paid more than the dole. Infact, there would be no point in not going to college.

What was you line of thinking?

It was a lazy response to the question, I don't have the energy to give a fully grounded reason, although there are a number of reasons why student's don't receive the dole, I just couldn't be bothered going into them.;)

Any further questions can really be dealt with here.

Also, not to be a total knob:
    What was your line of thinking?
    :p

I think that increased your knobness really ;)

• Advertisement

I think that increased your knobness really ;)

I'd be inclined to agree with you there!:pac: I think it's withdrawal symptoms or something, studying for about 3 weeks on the trot and then nothing, really messes the head up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

one was the archaeology shop
    whats the other? (fair play)

It was a lazy response to the question, I don't have the energy to give a fully grounded reason, although there are a number of reasons why student's don't receive the dole, I just couldn't be bothered going into them.;)

Any further questions can really be dealt with here.

Also, not to be a total knob:

:p
    The lazy thing to do would actually have been the right thing to do - if you have nothing to add, just say nothing.

An even better thing would be to find out why students cant claim the dole and inform the OP. FYI one cannot claim the dole unless, inter alia, one is available for full time employment. Thus students do not qualify. It has nothing to do with motivating people to attend college.

Making up a reason makes you seem foolish, and (which is the only reason I care) adds to confusion and misinformation.

You seem even more foolish when the reason you come up with isnt even vaguely logical.

You're really just digging a hole sticking to your guns when someone calls shenanigans.

And you should be hit over the head with that shovel when you start correcting insignificant grammatical errors :pac:

And you should be hit over the head with that shovel when you start correcting insignificant grammatical errors :pac:
    You seem even more foolish when the reason you come up with isnt even vaguely logical.

Isn't ;)
    Couldn't resist :)

The lazy thing to do would actually have been the right thing to do - if you have nothing to add, just say nothing.

An even better thing would be to find out why students cant claim the dole and inform the OP. FYI one cannot claim the dole unless, inter alia, one is available for full time employment. Thus students do not qualify. It has nothing to do with motivating people to attend college.

Making up a reason makes you seem foolish, and (which is the only reason I care) adds to confusion and misinformation.

You're really just digging a hole sticking to your guns when someone calls shenanigans.

I don't care, f*ck sake I was just telling the other poster that as a registered undergrad you're not entitled to the dole, you don't have to flip out when my explanation is insufficient and misinformed etc... It's a public forum, not Questions and Answers, we're not in college here so relax a bit. I retract my statements if they offend or misinform, I will stick to my point: if you're a registered undergrad or postgrad, no job seekers allowance, if not, go right ahead and claim, can we agree on that or is that misinformation? I was joking with the gramatical errors however, that seems dependent on your sense of humour or the lack thereof. Relax, take a deep breath, let's not get into a huff about things.

Anyway back to the point, one of the reasons why students can't claim the job seekers allowance is that you are in full-time education, and are not actively seeking work (full-time as far as I know), as you are in education attending lectures etc... thus you cannot claim for an allowance that is dependent on you actively looking for and being available for work, and so you can't really be available for work if you're in full-time education, thus no allowance. Now is this an alright reason, or is this illogical and incorrect? Now can we put the matter behind us and stick to the topic in question, is that okay, are we done with the bitching?

I don't care, f*ck sake I was just telling the other poster that as a registered undergrad you're not entitled to the dole you don't have to flip out when my explanation is insufficient and misinformed etc... It's a public forum, not Questions and Answers, we're not in college here

Flip out? :confused:*

For someone so adept at spotting typos you're not very talented at identifying tones :pac:.
    I retract my statements if they offend or misinform, I will stick to my point: if you're a registered undergrad or postgrad, no job seekers allowance, if not, go right ahead and claim, can we agree on that or is that misinformation?
    I think you missed the point completely...
    I was joking with the gramatical errors however, that seems dependent on your sense of humour or the lack thereof.

:rolleyes:**

Anyway back to the point, one of the reasons why students can't claim the job seekers allowance is that you are in full-time education, and are not actively seeking work (full-time as far as I know), as you are in education attending lectures etc... thus you cannot claim for an allowance that is dependent on you actively looking for and being available for work, and so you can't really be available for work if you're in full-time education, thus no allowance. Now is this an alright reason, or is this illogical and incorrect?

:eek:
    You are a good troll, or...
    Either way, there's only one way to respond ;)

* I think using smilies throughout this post might make things easier for you

** Its funny, I had a hunch you weren't very good at picking up on tones, that's why I put a smilie at the end of the last post :pac: You see, I wasn't actually threatening you, it was a "joke". One could say that you've made a "mountain out of a molehill". This is a figure of speech (stop me if I'm going to fast). I'm not actually suggesting you've made an actual mountain.

*** Oh, and the other grammatical joke, spotted and appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Way to go completely off topic there lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why can't you claim for 13 weeks after you finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

because that makes you look for a job for those 13 weeks (or should anyway)

• Advertisement

one was the archaeology shop
    whats the other? (fair play)

No not the archaeology shop. That was a good idea until archaeology died completely i this country.

Advertisement