Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laying qualpex underground in muck

Options
  • 18-05-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Is it ok to lay qualpex piping directly in muck together with brass compression fittings? The reason being I want to extend a hosepipe connection to the other end of the garden for occasional use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

bibibobo wrote: »
    Is it ok to lay qualpex piping directly in muck together with brass compression fittings? The reason being I want to extend a hosepipe connection to the other end of the garden for occasional use?

It should be fine, Black polythene is more suited to outdoor use though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It will be fine loads do it all the time. Its not regulation though but will be fine. To play it safe just fit an isolation valve just after where it connects to the house then come winter open the tap and close the isolation valve. This will stop water in the line freezing and causing the line to bust out doors. If your using pex keep the joints to a min as this is usually where the lines bust. Buy the pex in lengths and not off cuts from a roll as the lengths are easier to use. As a final note you can wrap the pipe in insulation just to keep it clean but make sure you empty the line every winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If he puts it a foot underground (say) will that not make it a lot less likely to freeze, at least along the underground part?

As it happens, we have an extension to the cold water system which runs outside the house, underground. It's in qual-pex. Haven't had a freezing problem with it (although maybe we just haven't had a cold enough winter yet). I'm sure it's not perfect, but it works fine.

Advertisement