Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling with Harvey?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 10:48pm

Hey guys and girls,

Just wondering what the crack is with Harvey Norman's these days where pricing is concerned.I got aleaflet in the door the other day and the slogan on every page is "Harvey Norman: Where pricing is Negotiable!", but in the catalogue, only a select number of products have "negotiable" written under their prices.

I want to get a laptop, but I wouldn't mind saving a few € if i could. The laptop is €477 i think (i think it's already been reduced) and is a Toshiba Laptop. Should I chance my arm and risk looking like a fool? Am i likely to accomplish anything?

Also, is haggling only a viable option when paying with cash? I'd like to pay with credit card (handier for me) but any time i've ever haggled on anything before, i always paid with cash (i didn't have a credit card back then).

Just looking for some thoughts before i approach them tomorrow (or before they approach me and ask me "do ye need any help?" and when i say "No, I'm just looking" they still stand there looking at me... I really should stop wearing that balaclava into their stores.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

....... Should I chance my arm and risk looking like a fool? .....
    yes you should and no you wont look like a fool. The shop will probably be empty anyway. Offer €318.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the laptop is 477 euro

say you only have 400 euro in your pocket,take it or leave it
    they wont know if its cash or credit card

or a better option i think

act the fool about the laptop and ask for some help about the laptop,ask the name of the employee and handshake
    then ask stuff about the laptop,then when its nearly done,ask about the price and say all you have is 400 euro in your pocket

you couldnt do a deal

G'wan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you're not embarrassed by your first offer then it's too high.
    Well I read that in Accomadation forum so this is slighty different.

Aren't they pulling out of Ireland? Even more reason to bargain.
    Haggle hard :)

Maybe you won't get money off. But with a laptop they are loads of different extras you might want, maybe something small like printer ink as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Headshot wrote: »
    the laptop is 477 euro

say you only have 400 euro in your pocket,take it or leave it
    they wont know if its cash or credit card
    Here's what I guess will happen

Haggler: Here Look, I've only 400 in my pocket, Take it or leave it
    Harvey norman Sales monkey: Hmm, The door is about 50m away behind you, I would recommend getting off that high horse of yours too, the door's clearance is only 15ft
    Haggler: Well this is crap customer service, I'm never shopping here again and im going to Joe Duffy!

Moral of the story is, the negotiable part means only up to 10% or so at managers discretion, most you'd likely get would be 430.

I won't mention how I'm paying, But I'll say it to one of the sales girls/guys that I can just as easily get it on eBay for €430 (that's a blatant lie, of course), and wouldn't pay much more than that. If they say they can't drop the price, then I'll waffle on about their warranty, confusing them and buying it without them realising i made a show of myself.

If however, they offer anything lower than the price on the shelf, i'll pay no more than €440 for it.

I think €318 would be going too low and I'd probably be laughed at.

I've mooched about the net for reviews on the laptop, etc. (its a Toshiba Satellite L300-1DN) and as far as i can tell, though it's a pretty good laptop for what i'll use it for, it's been discontinued by Toshiba. Dunno if that could help me or not.

Thanks an awful lot for the advice and replies so far everyone. Really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

When my mate was buying a laptop he negotiated the price a little, then picked up the ink he needed for his printer and say's throw in this as well (at no extra cost). They say no you dont buy. They will hardly drop a sale over ink!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Wouldnt you be better off going to a small local computer shop where they will try their best to give you a bargain? I know one guy in Celbridge that always has some good stuff.

Wouldnt you be better off going to a small local computer shop where they will try their best to give you a bargain? I know one guy in Celbridge that always has some good stuff.

I can see where you're coming from, but they have a pretty decent price on this laptop as it is, and they're pretty handy for me to get to. On top of that, I can't think of any smaller computer shop in the town (Drogheda) worth cecking out that won't try and sell me a top-of-the-range laptop that I don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

[/B]Moral of the story is, the negotiable part means only up to 10% or so at managers discretion, most you'd likely get would be 430.
    My mate works in Harveys as a salesman. They get commision based on a % of the PROFIT of the sale. It is not up to the manager, they can discount what they want. The big problem is that many items are sold as loss leaders, i.e. very little or no profit, hoping people will buy accessories too. Now I do not believe this is really the case, I expect they tell the salespeople there is very little profit so their commision is far less.

Another mate wanted to get a TV an for a €900 TV the guy working there could only get a €9 staff discount. The sales guys are not impressed with all this, most people are coming in obviously to get a good deal so go for stuff on offer with little or no potential commission.

So the potential discounts depend on item to item, and how desparate a sales man is for commission. e.g. if the profit on a TV is €100, then I could discount it €95 and make feck all on the sale, if I so wished.

In other threads people were saying "they did not want my money and let me walk out", they might have had to sell at a loss to match other stores prices. Also if only making €2 commission it might not be worth his while processing the sale when he could be chasing other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

I can see where you're coming from, but they have a pretty decent price on this laptop as it is, and they're pretty handy for me to get to. On top of that, I can't think of any smaller computer shop in the town (Drogheda) worth cecking out that won't try and sell me a top-of-the-range laptop that I don't need.

just three other places to buy laptops in drogheda for you.

The Laptop Shop is in the Laurence centre,
    expert store (Michael briscoes) out by motorway,
    Mahers Chemist can get some laptops in.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

rubadub wrote: »
    My mate works in Harveys as a salesman. They get commision based on a % of the PROFIT of the sale. It is not up to the manager, they can discount what they want. The big problem is that many items are sold as loss leaders, i.e. very little or no profit, hoping people will buy accessories too. Now I do not believe this is really the case, I expect they tell the salespeople there is very little profit so their commision is far less.

Another mate wanted to get a TV an for a €900 TV the guy working there could only get a €9 staff discount. The sales guys are not impressed with all this, most people are coming in obviously to get a good deal so go for stuff on offer with little or no potential commission.

So the potential discounts depend on item to item, and how desparate a sales man is for commission. e.g. if the profit on a TV is €100, then I could discount it €95 and make feck all on the sale, if I so wished.

In other threads people were saying "they did not want my money and let me walk out", they might have had to sell at a loss to match other stores prices. Also if only making €2 commission it might not be worth his while processing the sale when he could be chasing other customers.
    they are also getting paid at least minimum wage at the end of the week they should be grateful to be working in these difficult times and stop worrying about the commission they may make!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they are also getting paid at least minimum wage at the end of the week they should be grateful to be working in these difficult times and stop worrying about the commission they may make!

typical comment from someone who really does not understand the situation.

Yes the rep is probably earning min wage + commission, and yes he should be happy to have a job .. but as with all sales jobs if you are not selling and not meeting targets you won't have a job for long.

I reckon the Tosh notebook in question has a standard trade price of about €430 incl Vat. Harvey might have a couple of quid more to play with based on volume orders.

That means that at a price advertised of €477, less a cost of €430, give a margin of €47, of which 21.5% is VAT. Giving a gross profit of about €39.

Now, out of this €39 euro, Harvey has to pay the basic salary of the rep, commission, rent, heating, lighting, other staff and a volley of other fixed and variable costs.

See where I am coming from?

BTW, I am involved in business to business sales within the IT industry and understand these things, but unfortunatly a very large amount of the consumers can't see beyond the notion that retailler are coining it in with massive margins to play with.

Your best best would be to look for some inks thrown in, these have a fairly high profit margin, an ink selling for €40 may cost Havey's €20 and if they threw that in, you look like you are getting €40 worth of free stuff, while in reality the retailer is just knocking €20 off the price of the the notebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I was in Harvey Norman's looking at a TV a while back. It was 799 but it was too late to apply for finance. Asked the sales guy if I could get it at that price the next day, "No bother" he said. Back in the next day and it was priced at 999, he just got on the computer and marked it down to 799. Unfortunately I didn't get finance, but it seems they can change to price to whatever they please.

Also, haggling is always worth a shot, however don't be fooled, for example, into getting a 90 quid HDMI cable for "only" 50 quid, it's still a ripoff and there will be other similarly overpriced accessories around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

My boyfriend got a TV on Saturday and got it down from €500 to €450, Harvey Norman seem to have no problem with knocking off a few euro. Went in to Currys before that and not a chance. Not exactly the nicest of staff either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

rameire wrote: »
    just three other places to buy laptops in drogheda for you.

The Laptop Shop is in the Laurence centre,
    expert store (Michael briscoes) out by motorway,
    Mahers Chemist can get some laptops in.

Didn't know there was a laptop shop in Drogheda, mind you I've been in the Laurance Center all of two times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we haggled them from €570 to €375 for a mattress

you should definitely do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

whippet wrote: »
    typical comment from someone who really does not understand the situation.

Yes the rep is probably earning min wage + commission, and yes he should be happy to have a job .. but as with all sales jobs if you are not selling and not meeting targets you won't have a job for long.

if they are not up to the task they should find work more suited to their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

if they are not up to the task they should find work more suited to their abilities.

I think you are failing to grasp what I am saying.

Sales people are employed to make money for the company they are working for. This is guaged by profit margins, to encourage sales people to sell more they get commission as a % of the profit. If they didn't, two guys could be working side by side, one busting his ass and selling twenty units a week, they other lad wandering around and selling five a week. Obviously the guy selling more should earn more and the best most effective method of deciding who earns more is via a commission structure.

You might argue that a sales person on commission will alway try and make as much margin as possible, making it difficult to negotiate the price.

But as time will always show, good sales guys will always try and find the happy medium between volume of sales and % margins.

for example, it would be better to sell 6 units with €200 margin on each than two units with €500 margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

A ridiculously obvious comment to make. Do you feel better after posting it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

whippet wrote: »
    I think you are failing to grasp what I am saying.
    I think he's just trying to wind you up! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 drog5920

ive made a few comments about harvey norman now. first up i dont like the guy, he seems like an ignorant fool, secondly, i hate their advertising but i have been reborn in the harvey way thanks to the lads in the computer dept in drogheda. i got a laptop o their flexirent, hire purchase, fantastic. i run a small business, got my tax relief plus my lease relief with handing over a cent in cash but anyway the sales guys. they seem to be open. they have the craic but know their stuff. e.g i went in and the young local lad i always deal with approched me and said "jesus ya mustnt be able to get enough of this place" little things like that, they talk to me like im their mate rather then a customer. all i was looking to buy was a monitor, had my heart on a 17" inch hanns g at 199€. the young lad was straight up and honest and said "i could give ya this or i can give you the 22" for 20€ cheaper", he jst explained that the 17" was aged stock. also my mate haggled €280 off one of the new samsung LCD tvs.

like say whatever yis want about harvey but his staff are 2nd to none and like a guy further up said, they can drop prices at their own discretion, so its worth even been nice to these guys instead of bein a tough customer, theyll look after you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I went into HN yesterday to get photos developed. While I was there I saw they were selling a really nice monitor for 130. The sales guy knew I was interested in this but was surprised me was that he wouldn't let it go at any other price than the written; then he started going on about how they have to sell this item at below cost price which is total rubbish.

Anyway because he refused to offer me any discount or any help I walked out of the shop.

Greedy bastards is what they are :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

swingking wrote: »
    I went into HN yesterday to get photos developed. While I was there I saw they were selling a really nice monitor for 130. The sales guy knew I was interested in this but was surprised me was that he wouldn't let it go at any other price than the written; then he started going on about how they have to sell this item at below cost price which is total rubbish.

Anyway because he refused to offer me any discount or any help I walked out of the shop.

Greedy bastards is what they are :mad:

Has it occurred to you that this item was already as low as it could go? €130 for a monitor... doesn't sound like it gets lower than that.

Unreasonable greedy bastard is what you are :rolleyes:

I just made this post in a different thread about looking for laptop. I rang Power City, Harvey and D.I.D to see would out-do each other for the best price. It's actually more relevant to this thread than to the one i posted it in :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60363805&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

There's some crap in this thread...

HN can knock euro's off their prices because nearly everything is over priced to begin with!

Example - last summer. Was buying a Samsung TV, it was 1549 in HN, and that was advertised with at 15% discount. ie. it was 1549 after the discount.

Same TV was in DID for 1350. In the end, i bought it up north for 1100 in currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I bought all our bedroo furniture from them, they came down aby 15% plus free delivery.

Always found the staff a cut above other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 APMom

Yes they are overpriced except for their photo printing which they do immediately. I go in quite frequently to get photos done and yesterday I wanted laminating pouches and was trying to figure out which ones would be better value - the manager came over and asked me was i ok and I said yes just buying these (€21.99) when he called over another guy and said give these for €18, that's a lot more than the 10% I knew they'd bargain on. I've also haggled on a dishwasher and washing maching and haggle on photo prices when I've loads to do after a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As much as I hate there ads and there so called sales. Ive bought alot from harvey norman and they always turned out as the best deal. I bought a ps3 and a 50" sammy plasma before all at great prices. They will always knock a nice bit of what your interested too and very helpful and knowledgable staff (well whoever ive ever dealt with).

APMom wrote: »
    Yes they are overpriced except for their photo printing which they do immediately. I go in quite frequently to get photos done and yesterday I wanted laminating pouches and was trying to figure out which ones would be better value - the manager came over and asked me was i ok and I said yes just buying these (€21.99) when he called over another guy and said give these for €18, that's a lot more than the 10% I knew they'd bargain on. I've also haggled on a dishwasher and washing maching and haggle on photo prices when I've loads to do after a holiday.

I'm in the stationary trade and the profit margins on laminating pouches is so high you wouldnt believe it. If I sold a pack for €20 im talking atleast a 200% profit I'd make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 drog5920

think i had my 1st bad experience with harvey yesterday. went in nd looked for the guy i usually deal with, he wasnt in so i went to another guy. think he was eastern european. i bought a printer off them about 2 weeks ago but i wasnt sure if i had the usb cable or not so the guy wrote on my receipt that the belkin cable wud be half price for me. anyway went i n yesterday and this other guy was having none of it. i asked if i could see the manager he said "i am the manager" which i know for a fact he isnt. gonna shoot up today to see if my usual guy is there, if not i dont think ill be dealing with mr. harvey anymore. unfortunate because i like to be able to talk to a sales guy like i talk to my mates, evrywhere else they just seem like lickarse nonothings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

John_Mc wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that this item was already as low as it could go? €130 for a monitor... doesn't sound like it gets lower than that.

Unreasonable greedy bastard is what you are :rolleyes:

reported. There's no need to get personal.

Advertisement