Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling with Harvey?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

drog5920 wrote: »
    ive made a few comments about harvey norman now. first up i dont like the guy, he seems like an ignorant fool, !

FYI the name 'Harvey Norman' is derived from the surnames of the two men who set up the company in New Zealand/Australia :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

swingking wrote: »
    reported. There's no need to get personal.
    :rolleyes: stop wasting peoples time...
    swingking wrote: »
    Greedy bastards is what they are :mad:
    My mate works there, stop insulting him :rolleyes:

Dampsquid wrote: »
    There's some crap in this thread...

HN can knock euro's off their prices because nearly everything is over priced to begin with.
    You have obviously not read the thread, I already explained how the commission structure is set up in HN. People are going in asking salespeople for discounts, often stuff cannot be discounted at all. This thread is about haggling in HN. Also I know the furniture has bigger markups so is far more likely to be able to be discounted by salespeople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

John_Mc wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that this item was already as low as it could go? €130 for a monitor... doesn't sound like it gets lower than that.
    Unreasonable greedy bastard is what you are :rolleyes:

http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

Have a look at the price for 19" Hansg monitors...

Go please Harvey, please go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 drog5920

where is marxx computers located? wud love to see his shop!!

http://www.marxcomputers.ie/ haha look at their laptops, did, harvey, powercity, and currys are hammering this guy. also they are all old model acers, ya cudve at least used komplett or elara as an example

• Advertisement

by the way, went in to harveys yesterday. told d guy wat happened with the cable. he charged me a euro for it :D was talkin to him about people ringing up and does he get a lot of em. he said dat they can get annoying because he price checks all d written prices and makes his laptops cheaper then the rest, then people ring him and say they saw such and such a laptop for x amount, can he beet it. if he says yeah, the person goes off and rings the other crowd saying harvey will do it for this much, they ring him back then saying that powercity or briscoe is doin it for this till eventually its no worth his while. like i know personally i wouldnt entertain someone looking to get €150 - €200 off a €600 laptop, when theres only €20 or €30 profit on it at the full price.

drog5920 wrote: »
    by the way, went in to harveys yesterday. told d guy wat happened with the cable. he charged me a euro for it :D was talkin to him about people ringing up and does he get a lot of em. he said dat they can get annoying because he price checks all d written prices and makes his laptops cheaper then the rest, then people ring him and say they saw such and such a laptop for x amount, can he beet it. if he says yeah, the person goes off and rings the other crowd saying harvey will do it for this much, they ring him back then saying that powercity or briscoe is doin it for this till eventually its no worth his while. like i know personally i wouldnt entertain someone looking to get €150 - €200 off a €600 laptop, when theres only €20 or €30 profit on it at the full price.

If there's only €20 or €30 profit to be made at it's full price, then how come shops will knock off over €100 without complaining?

If DID can sell a laptop for €500, then I don't see why Harvey can't sell the same one for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

There's only a certain amount that they can knock off, it varies from sales consultant. For example. On a tv that's priced at 500euro the owner says no less than 450euro. If you get the full 500euro than the 50euro is your commission. So the sales person has 50euro to play around with. Jim may give 40euro off where as Bill only 30euro as they want to make some commission for themselves. It's not worth them giving it for 450 as they don't get commission for the sale.

That's how it was working 3 years ago, it may have changed now.

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    There's only a certain amount that they can knock off, it varies from sales consultant. For example. On a tv that's priced at 500euro the owner says no less than 450euro. If you get the full 500euro than the 50euro is your commission. So the sales person has 50euro to play around with. Jim may give 40euro off where as Bill only 30euro as they want to make some commission for themselves. It's not worth them giving it for 450 as they don't get commission for the sale.

That's how it was working 3 years ago, it may have changed now.

Surely it's better to sell a TV and make no commission than not sell a TV at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

If DID can sell a laptop for €500, then I don't see why Harvey can't sell the same one for the same price.
    Beacuse they have different cost structures/bought the laptops at different base prices.
    If there's only €20 or €30 profit to be made at it's full price, then how come shops will knock off over €100 without complaining?
    There's very little money if any to be made on low end laptops a lot of them are actually sold for a loss.
    Surely it's better to sell a TV and make no commission than not sell a TV at all?
    :eek: How is it better?

• Advertisement

:eek: How is it better?

Because although you may not be making any money off the sale directly into your own pocket as a sales assistant, you're still making a sale which will look good to management and overall be better for you in the long term.

At the end of the day, isn't it better to lose €50 than €500.

i see D.I.D had their truck in the drogheda park today saying theyd bbeet harvey anfd currys, went into harveys, they have dids website up on their computers showin the price theyre selling em at, what dya know harvey is cheaper by at least 20 on all of em. the guy told me how their commis works too, its a percentage of sales rather the profit so if thats the case tnhen the salesman can drop price regardless of profit. but must say dids truck is great advertisement for harvey and currys.. very surprised they dont target powercity, theyre cheaper then anywhere, only reason i shop with harvey is the lads know wat theyre talkin bout rather then jst vreading from a page

Also seen DID's truck today, too. I'm sure it wouldn't take any more than just approaching a DID salesperson and telling them Harveys are doing x product cheaper, and I'm sure they'd match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Because although you may not be making any money off the sale directly into your own pocket as a sales assistant, you're still making a sale which will look good to management and overall be better for you in the long term.
    Usually no comission on a sale means no margin for the company. Selling at zero comission unless there is some other benefit is demoralising and a waste of your time.

If the commission is going to go straight into the pocket of your sales assistant to encourage him to sell more, then the company wouldn't see it anyway.

If a €500 tv leaves a sales assistant with 10% commision (€50) then the company can obviously afford to sell it for less as the most they'll generate from the sale is €450, regardless of whether or not the sales assistant pockets anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

If the commission is going to go straight into the pocket of your sales assistant to encourage him to sell more, then the company wouldn't see it anyway.

If a €500 tv leaves a sales assistant with 10% commision (€50) then the company can obviously afford to sell it for less as the most they'll generate from the sale is €450, regardless of whether or not the sales assistant pockets anything.

i think youll really find that the commission is probably based on teh profit margin of the product and not the whole price of the product so for your example the comission would be €5

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

my helpfull mate in harveys told me theyre commision used to be 5% of the profit they made. its now 0.0075% of their sales which is what 7.50 for evry grand. he also said they have no issues beeting prices that they have been encouraged to basically gain marketshare. i dont know how people can say theyre rip off merchants been honest, like their mark price is cheaper then did's and they encourage ya to haggle. i dont like dids approach with their truck though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Look at the pricing of their Monster cables - that put me off any purchase in there...

Either Harvey Normen think that we are all mugs (trying to sell us "0% carbon cables" for €80) or they were getting rode by Monster, but have a feeling that the former is more true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Look at the pricing of their Monster cables - that put me off any purchase in there...

Either Harvey Normen think that we are all mugs (trying to sell us "0% carbon cables" for €80) or they were getting rode by Monster, but have a feeling that the former is more true...
    It's actually the latter. Take a look at the prices of their cables on amazon. As much as $120 in some cases. There's been many articles, the world over, criticising monster cables as nothing more than a rip off with completely untrue marketing claims.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kensington wrote: »
    It's actually the latter. Take a look at the prices of their cables on amazon. As much as $120 in some cases. There's been many articles, the world over, criticising monster cables as nothing more than a rip off with completely untrue marketing claims.
    But with monster cables I don't have to shake out the stuck bits every month to clear the sound!

:D

• Advertisement

Yeah I think Dixons/Currys tried to sell me one of their HDMI leads for €100 before. I ended up getting one in Power City for about €15. Never had any trouble.

got a belkin one for €12 in harveys, cnt complain seen them for the same price evrywher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Commision on stuff is very low, When we were on commision i never put much thought into it, it was nice to see you had a bit extra dosh, but to be honest, it wasnt alot.

Places that dont work off commision are alot easier to talk to, they arent trying to sell you something stupid you dont need. But you can still try and get a good price on everything.
    HN are usually overpriced anyway, thats why they can afford to discount items, your still not saving much. Shop around after haggling. get them to write down the final price so you dont have to do it again.

Advertisement