Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next weeks Raw (25th) to be Cancelled?

• 18-05-2009 11:07pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

May 18, 2009
    WWE VS. NBA
    STAMFORD, Conn., May 18, 2009 – World Wrestling Entertainment®’s live, internationally televised broadcast, WWE Monday Night RAW®, (USA Network, 9:00 PM ET) to take place at the Pepsi Center in Denver next Monday, May 25th is in jeopardy of being cancelled by the Denver Nuggets. The WWE and Denver Nuggets are currently at an impasse in resolving a scheduling debacle by the team and the Pepsi Center. A sell-out crowd is expected to attend the WWE show at the same time the Denver Nuggets are slated to square off against the Los Angeles Lakers for Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals. WWE has held the May 25th date with the Pepsi Center since August 15, 2008.

http://corporate.wwe.com/news/2009/2009_05_18.jsp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Not a chance that it'll be cancelled. They'll find somewhere to hold it, although it will be a lot of work to sort it out. The other arena in Denver isn't big enough to hold all the people who've bought tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

they could have a WWE/NBA show. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

depending on the time of day the basketball is on,could it be possible to have both or is the wwe setup too big ? i know that in some arena's over there that have ice hockey and basketball in them,sometimes they have both sports on the same day ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

floor change im talking about

it says on youtube that it takes 15 hours so i guess it wont happen on same day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

They could also record it sunday, a week without Michael Cole:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

What a brilliant tactic. The ol' "refuse the customers so they'll demand to see it". Worked with Cartman when he took over the theme park in South Park. This gem never fails, much like the Chewbacca defense. Somewhere, Vince is smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

chips1234 wrote: »
    floor change im talking about

it says on youtube that it takes 15 hours so i guess it wont happen on same day

I once went to an NHL and NBA game in the same arena 7 hours apart, you wouldn't even know it was the same building, impressive really

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

The Denver Nuggets have no right to be there if there is a solid contract in place and they had no foresight to pre book the date for a potential play off. They should have to find another venue.

Its a simple solution.

Have the NBA game on earlier on the day.

To the best of my knowledge it wont be nationally televised in america live.
    They have some sort of highlights show.

Raw is internationally broadcast and they have all the tv channels to contend with.

And the WWE set up takes hours apparently to get right with lightings and sound taking up the most amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

C-B-G wrote: »
    Its a simple solution.

I'd be almost certain it will be broadcast across America, it's basically part of the NBA semi-final, not just some unimportant regular season game.

Suppose maybe the Lakers could trade one of their home games with the Nuggets, though they've probably already sold the tickets for all of them.

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd be almost certain it will be broadcast across America, it's basically part of the NBA semi-final, not just some unimportant regular season game.

oh...
    I heard someone say playoffs and assumed it that was it.

I guess you could put the same model on it.

In the sense that WWE is a worldwide brand, and even though NBA is also, its not as globally televised and internationally accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Its a simple solution.

Raw is internationally broadcast and they have all the tv channels to contend with.

And the WWE set up takes hours apparently to get right with lightings and sound taking up the most amount.

The NBA game is far bigger than Raw and they own the stadium

Also that 15 hour changeover is from Ice Hockey to Basketball, so I'm fairly sure it wouldn't take anywhere near as long to change from Basketball to Wrestling with the layers over the ice already put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The NBA game is far bigger than Raw and they own the stadium

the city own the arena not the nuggets they are just long-term tenants in the building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the city own the arena not the nuggets they are just long-term tenants in the building

Meltzer said that the franchise owner owned the stadium. Anyway, if they're tenants and they sublet it they can renaig

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Meltzer said that the franchise owner owned the stadium.

That's true, you can google it if you want

Regardless of who owns it or not the fact is the contract was signed by Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke so if (and thats a big if) raw gets cancelled he will be liable for breaking the contract with WWE and he'll also be liable for the contract WWE has with USA Network i.e to put on a RAW show every Monday.

He'll be screwed in both holes....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Memnoch99

Interesting sceanario. Either way the stadium/owners/whoever have screwed themselves. Their basketball team wont be making the playofffs every year whereas WWE would probably be there more frequently. Cant see WWE being very keen to use the arena after this so Staduim loses out. Is this WWE have been taking shots at the Denver Nuggets on Raw and on Judgement day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd say Vince is lapping up all the publicity this gets.

• Advertisement

f4wonline.com reported last night that they'd most likely either tape Raw from where they've got their Saturday house show planned, or try to use the arena that Smackdown's using that week for a live show

The update now is that they've tried booking over 100 hotel rooms in Colorado Springs, where Smackdown is being taped. So that looks like their solution. The arena is 70 miles from the original location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That solves it so I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Wouldn't be surprised to see next weeks Raw get a ratings boost on the back of all this free publicity. Expect to see John Cena wearing a Lakers jersey. :p

now WWE.com is sayin madison sqaure garden and Los Angeles's Staples Center have both offered to host next weeks raw. this is gettin more interesting ny the second!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

L.A. it is then...

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/articles/9683696/rawmovestola?cid=2009EP-00
    Monday's Raw moves to L.A.'s STAPLES Center
    Written: May 20, 2009

Due to the double-booking debacle in Denver, this week's edition of Monday Night Raw has been moved to Los Angeles' STAPLES Center.

STAMFORD, Conn. – World Wrestling Entertainment has made arrangements, given innumerable logistical challenges and obstacles, to move its internationally televised broadcast, WWE Monday Night Raw, to Los Angeles' STAPLES Center. The live televised event, which was scheduled to take place at the Pepsi Center in Denver this Monday, May 25th, will take place at the STAPLES Center at 5:30 p.m. PT.

Tickets for Monday Night Raw in Los Angeles will become available tonight at 8 p.m. PT.

WWE was forced to seek alternative arrangements due to the Pepsi Center’s double-booking of May 25th for both WWE Monday Night Raw and Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals. The event will now take place live from the home of the Denver Nuggets' opponents, the Los Angeles Lakers.

Denver fans wishing to receive a refund for their tickets to the originally scheduled Pepsi Center event must return tickets to the original point of purchase.

Check back with WWE.com for additional details and more, as they become available.

The event will now take place live from the home of the Denver Nuggets' opponents, the Los Angeles Lakers.

Nice little stab there :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Denver fans wishing to receive a refund for their tickets to the originally scheduled Pepsi Center event must return tickets to the original point of purchase

Another dig, in other words,
    WWE take no responsibility for this, we won't be back anytime soon, blame the nuggets.

Couldn't they have just not sold out the show for the Basketball and only let a few hundred people in?

Then that way They could have the WWE titantron set up on one side of the arena and parts of the ring around the court (the lighting rig, etc. is attached to the roof, so it wouldnt affect basketball). That way, the instant the basketball ends, the WWE crew could fling down some mats and begin working on the ring/barriers. They could use the stage without the ramp for the show.

Doesn't seem like that big of an issue really.

EDIT:

Anyone else notice that when Coach interviews Vince, vince reckons your man should be arrested for impersonating a good business man and says he shouldn't have booked a "World Wrestling Federation" event there that night. Odd that Vince would still call it that.

Anyone else notice that when Coach interviews Vince, vince reckons your man should be arrested for impersonating a good business man and says he shouldn't have booked a "World Wrestling Federation" event there that night. Odd that Vince would still call it that.

Ha, thats strange.

Got a link to anything of that?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

"Live on Raw from Los Angeles' STAPLES Center, WWE presents its answer to the Lakers vs. the Denver Nuggets. WWE Champion Randy Orton, Legacy, The Miz & Big Show face U.S. Champion MVP, Batista, John Cena, Jerry Lawler & a fifth "player," said WWE in a statement on its website.

JP Liz wrote: »
    "Live on Raw from Los Angeles' STAPLES Center, WWE presents its answer to the Lakers vs. the Denver Nuggets. WWE Champion Randy Orton, Legacy, The Miz & Big Show face U.S. Champion MVP, Batista, John Cena, Jerry Lawler & a fifth "player," said WWE in a statement on its website.

:D

Publicity city. I'd say Vince is quite happy with how this whole debacle has turned out.

I bet he is, also having Madison Sq. Garden AND the Staples Center offering up their services must be an ego booster.

I'd say at some point on monday someone will have to make a reference to it all in a poke-fun kinda way.

My money is on The Miz or Santino. :p

I bet he is, also having Madison Sq. Garden AND the Staples Center offering up their services must be an ego booster.

I'd say at some point on monday someone will have to make a reference to it all in a poke-fun kinda way.

My money is on The Miz or Santino. :p

They'll probably theme their entire show on it.

Ah the joys of free publicity.... Vince is lapping this up.

• Advertisement

You have to feel so sorry for the fans who bought the tickets to the show only to have all this happen.

You have to feel so sorry for the fans who bought the tickets to the show only to have all this happen.

Too right, would be far less likely in Europe, WWE would probably have to pay back travel expenses people had booked etc. I'm planning a trip to America sometime next year with a random Raw thrown in, would be very annoyed if it were then cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Any idea if Vince\WWE would try and sue for loss of earnings or have them pay for renting out the Lakers stadium, extra millage, air time, hotels etc?

dancor wrote: »
    Any idea if Vince\WWE would try and sue for loss of earnings or have them pay for renting out the Lakers stadium, extra millage, air time, hotels etc?

It's very likely.

Simple breach of contract. They will try and get some sort of compensation i'm sure.

How much they look for and how much they get will depend somewhat on what kind of refunds they end up having to give.

• Advertisement

They almost certainly will. Vince is a stubborn man but also it will Put WWE in the media spotlight with a court case like that.

I know a lot of people go on about vince and the way he is, but WWE is still a company that has shareholders.

And if i was putting money into a company and something like that happened i know that i would want a bit of retribution, regardless if i was stubborn or not.

And Big Skye, im not píssing on your post, but this sort of thing will go beyond vinces attitude. But yeah, it will get them a hell of a lot of publicity.

Like when was the last time he made such an appearence on ESPN?

Benoit immediately comes to mind, before that i woudnt have a clue.

I know a lot of people go on about vince and the way he is, but WWE is still a company that has shareholders.

And if i was putting money into a company and something like that happened i know that i would want a bit of retribution, regardless if i was stubborn or not.

And Big Skye, im not píssing on your post, but this sort of thing will go beyond vinces attitude. But yeah, it will get them a hell of a lot of publicity.

Like when was the last time he made such an appearence on ESPN?

Benoit immediately comes to mind, before that i woudnt have a clue.

I totally agree with you. His stubbornness abviously is not the only reason he wont let this go, far from it. Its a mix of things including what you mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I think they should accept the invite from the Staples Centre. Then they could go LA, hold the show at the home of the Lakers and every wrestler could come to the ring wearing Lakers' jerseys and Cole could announce it on live every time LA scored a point! Now, this would only work if the Lakers beat the Nuggets, but my limited NBA knowledge suggests they would. It's exactly the childish sort of action that would get back at Denver's Nuggets and get loads of media attention at the same time.

What time is the NBA game at?

They are taping the Raw show early, so are they going to announce when anyone scores?

Alá when the monday night wars were on and WCW would announce the winners of the raw matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

They are taping the Raw show early, so are they going to announce when anyone scores?

Alá when the monday night wars were on and WCW would announce the winners of the raw matches?

yeah but that backfired on wcw totally, as a huge chunk of their viewers switched over to see mick foley winning the world title when eric announced it, if wwe were to keep giving score updates people may be more interested in the game coz that way they could get real entertainment!

I expect the Titantron will have Lakers' graphics all over it. I know this whole thing is getting some publicity and all, but does anyone else think it makes WWE look like a really childish outfit altogether?

Most companies would have switched over to a different arena that offered space and ask that the arena they were originally booked in cover any costs that could have been otherwise avoided. WWE have to make a big song and dance about it. Makes them look really weak too, when they announce that "we're having our show there one way or the other" and then shortly after announce "we got kicked out, so we're going to their opponents hometown to make fun of them".

Also, seen as the Lakers' arena is empty, why didn't they just have the basketball in that arena?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Also, seen as the Lakers' arena is empty, why didn't they just have the basketball in that arena?
    Presumably because the other crowd would lose the advantage of playing in their home stadium, in front of their own fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

Now, that I would watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

It's cos of home field advantage. The Nuggets won the right to have homefield advantage in the first game. It's all about the psychological advantage given by the crowd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement