Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlestations Pacific

• 18-05-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

Battlestations Midway was one of those games I kick myself for not getting. THe multiplayer demo on xbox live was an absolute blast to play, though really confusing due to the lack of manual or tutorial.

THe demo for the sequel has been up for a while and the game came out this weekend.

I'm planning on getting it this thursday when my paycheck comes in (*sigh*) until then I have the single player demo to keep me distracted.

The reviews so far make it sound promising, what has my eye the most though is the multiplayer. This island capture mode sounds brilliant, very remeniscent of Battlezone/Battlezone 2 on the PC. There is a skimish version of it on the demo, which again like the midway demo is confusing as hell at first as there is no tutorial or manual. But I got the basic gist of it now.

Anyway review from gamespot

Anyone else picked this up or planning to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I get paid on thursdays too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

downloaded and played it there and its actually pretty good.. much better than the 1st one I played that demo and found it boring!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Picked it up on Friday.. Liking it so far. There no long tutorial as in Midway, so for first time Battlestation players it might all be a bit overwhelming.

The tactical map is much easier to use, as is repairing your ship. Ive only played through a few of the single player missions so far.. too scared to go online as I havent got my head around the tactics of it yet.

The graphics on the whole are better, but there is a bit of screen tearing (and apparently slowdown, tho I havent noticed any yet) when you dive or climb in the planes.

Definitely be up for some "friendly" games online if anyones interested..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I played the demo a bit more last night and I must say if Island Capture mode is as much fun online as it is in skirmish then it is on to a winner in the online department that will be as much fun as the conquest mode in the original battlefield 1942.

The skirmish only allowed 1 player vs com, but the full game will allow 8 players online/com which should make it alot more fun.

At the moment I see only two problems.

1. with 1v1 the com tends to focus on a specific field of combat (ships, planes, subs) and ignores everything else, making it very easy to kill him by focusing on the opposite spectrum. Most of the time though he seems to spam cruisers which leads to problem 2.

2. The middle base that can be captured allows that player to build a battleship, which against the AI who builds nothing but cruisers is a winning blow as a battleship can sink 4-5 cruisers without a problem.

I found that gamestop have it for sale at 49.99 (HMV at 58.99) so I might grab it today rather then wait til thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

anyone still playing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sadly while its multiplayer was alot of fun as premise and the basic set up is sound.

Its resupply system is f*cked with no real punishment for loosing big expensive units, so even when you have your battleship sunk you can spawn a replacement instantly

Also it was very prone to spam matches where people just spammed b-17's and bombed your home base to **** and back.

Finally its online support was pretty dreadful, no party up options and bare minimum lobbies.

still have a soft spot for it now and then.

Advertisement