Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to move to US to work...H1B visa best option?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Howdy folks,

I really want to move to the US to work for several years, basically for a change, adventure, get out of doom and gloom Ireland etc., whilst at same time building up the CV abroad.

I have been doing some research and getting a job with an employer willing to sponsor me for a H1B visa seems the most viable option.

Is this the best option, and if so what is the best approach? Do I just apply like crazy to any relevant job on monster.com and hope I get some responses from employers willing to go down the H1B route for me?

Or do I go with one of the many H1B agencies out there e.g. www.H1base.com? They take a fee and say they put you directly in contact with H1B willing employers, thus saving u time wasted appying to employers who have no interest with international applicants who need a visa to work for them

I have a Business/IT degree + Masters + 5 yrs exp in IT, audit and banking along with a US recognised professional accredition. I also did a 6 month internship in the US back when I was in uni...so I'm hoping this may help?

Any info on the above, or any other routes would be appreciated!!

Thnx
    H
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

hurler80 wrote: »
    Howdy folks,

I really want to move to the US to work for several years, basically for a change, adventure, get out of doom and gloom Ireland etc., whilst at same time building up the CV abroad.

I have been doing some research and getting a job with an employer willing to sponsor me for a H1B visa seems the most viable option.

Is this the best option, and if so what is the best approach? Do I just apply like crazy to any relevant job on monster.com and hope I get some responses from employers willing to go down the H1B route for me?

Or do I go with one of the many H1B agencies out there e.g. www.H1base.com? They take a fee and say they put you directly in contact with H1B willing employers, thus saving u time wasted appying to employers who have no interest with international applicants who need a visa to work for them

I have a Business/IT degree + Masters + 5 yrs exp in IT, audit and banking along with a US recognised professional accredition. I also did a 6 month internship in the US back when I was in uni...so I'm hoping this may help?

Any info on the above, or any other routes would be appreciated!!

Thnx
    H

personally I'd go down the Monster.com route.
    Identify where you might want to live and work, Boston and Silicone Valley are the major IT hubs, NY and Chicago are major finance hubs for example.

get your cv or 'resume' as they call it in the States in good shape and sent it out to anything that interested you.

I really don't trust these agencies, how are you to know they are putting as much effort in as you expect for what you are paying for.

And there is no problem sending a CV to a company not interested in H1Bs, it's not costing you or them anything and if they ignore it.

You seem very qualified and even though there is a recession you tick all the required boxes if jobs are available

best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

I agree with Benedict, go down the Monster route. You never know if a company could all of a sudden change their mind and start recruiting from abroad. Also companies may not be using recruitment agencies in this tight climate as a way of saving money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 windingwheel

hi, i'm in the same position as yourself.. maybe a little less experienced! have my BA and my MA and 2 years working as an administrator so also qualify for the H2B visa. it's very difficult to find lists of potential sponsors - how have you found lists of businesses that would sponsor someone like ourselves.

i'm finding the whole process pretty daunting myself!

Advertisement