Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Army looking to rent premises in Letterkenny.

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

Now that Lifford and Rockhill barracks have been closed, the Ministry of Defence in a moment of extreme stupidity has advertised looking to rent somewhere in Letterkenny for training of the RDF etc etc.

Eh, Willie O'Dea, hellooooooo

You have two big buildings in Lifford and Letterkenny lying empty.

Mr. Face, meet Mr. Palm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Lifford is out of the question, and it doesn't make sense to keep using Rockhill for the sake of one company in the RDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Why would Lifford be 'out of the question?'

Outside the area of the company in question, for one.

I'm assuming the company you refer to is the RDF (24th Batt. if my memory is correct). Does that not cover the whole county?

A battalion is made up of companies, up until Oct 2005, 24th Bn covered Donegal, divided into 4 companies, with each assigned an area of the county. When the RDF was reorganised in 2005, 24th Bn was amalgamated with 19thBn into 58th Bn, covering Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim. B company covers Letterkenny and areas to the west and north of it, Lifford is covered by A company. It makes sense to locate B Coy in Letterkenny.

Rockhill house is an aging manor house, the cost of maintenance, heating etc wouldn't be worth it for the sake of a handful of staff there everyday, with RDF training once a week and the odd weekend.

Sorry if i came across a bit short at first there, just worried about saying something i shouldnt on the internet.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that pmg.

The heating is still running in Rockhill in an effort to preserve the building. I thought it would have made sense to use a room or two there along with the grounds rather than renting somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In the absence of a military barracks it now begs the question as to what range of training can take place. Foot drill can be carried out in any car park.

Good point, didnt think of that, Smashey. Its a fantastic building, would look brilliant if a bit of work was put into it. What do you think will happen with it?

Thats whats currently happening at the minute but as far as i know it was always just a temporary solution. I'm sure they have their reasons though.

Advertisement