Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a Gigabit Wireless N router with possible USB port?

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    anyone have any recommendation for a wireless N router with 4 gigabit ports and a possible USB port to attach a desktop usb harddrive?

I have been looking at the Linksys WRT610N (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=364934) and seen a mail today from komplett for the D-link DIR655 (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331590) on offer at half the price of the linksys.
    i have a belkin wireless G at the mo and can't fault the belkin but wouldn't mind moving up a notch as the laptop has Wireless N in it.
    have a 1TB external USB harddrive but never get to do regular backups and if the USB access was on the router i could easily set a schedule.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Buffalo are just after releasing the WZR-HP-G300NH in the US and should be out here soon.It has a USB port for USB drives and has a built in bit torrent client, all gigabit.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7582

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

cheers Some_Person; that gives me another option. the D-link looks good cos of the price and its signal quality seems to be good on the reviews. decisions, decisions!

The signal should be good on the Buffalo router too if not better since it has 3 built in amplifiers and 2 flip up antennas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

thekooman wrote: »
    cheers Some_Person; that gives me another option. the D-link looks good cos of the price and its signal quality seems to be good on the reviews. decisions, decisions!

i bought that router second hand about 6 months ago for a that price which i thought was a sweet deal. i have no complaints with the device. i have 3 notebooks, a desktop, xbox 360 and a 500gb ethernet NAS attached to it and i have to say it's up to the task

my only issue is that the USB port isn't working, i was gonna use it for a printer (ah i just share the printer through the desktop which isn't so bad), such are the joys of buying second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

theteal wrote: »
    my only issue is that the USB port isn't working, i was gonna use it for a printer (ah i just share the printer through the desktop which isn't so bad), such are the joys of buying second hand

did you upgrade to the latest version of the firmware for it? seems the shareport was crap at the beginning but the new firmware has improved it.

or maybe it was just plain broken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

thekooman wrote: »
    did you upgrade to the latest version of the firmware for it? seems the shareport was crap at the beginning but the new firmware has improved it.

or maybe it was just plain broken!

ha ha yeah, i spent a couple of hours one day updating firmware and trying to get the shareport software working, no joy. i then just plugged a usb memory stick into it just to test activity and viola, no power in the port, tis fooked! like i said though, it's not a big issue for me and i would recommend the router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I would be sure to buy a dual band router, ie one that operates in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz ranges.

You will get much better throughput if you are in an urban envirnoment and it will work better if your clients are using Intel chipsets (who have a preference for 5GHz).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jr_spurs

Buffalo are just after releasing the WZR-HP-G300NH in the US and should be out here soon.It has a USB port for USB drives and has a built in bit torrent client, all gigabit.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7582

Hi Some_Person

Do you know when these will be over here? i.e. elara/dabs etc.. Are you thinking about getting one? I wonder how much they will be. The price on that site seems excellent for whats in that thing. A bit torrent client, NAS drive capabilities, GIGBIT ports and also the ability to connect to it directly from a PS3 via a DLNA compatible TWONKY server. If you could get all that for 100-120 quid then that would be amazing. Youd save that money alone by not having to turn on your PC for the media server.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Belkin also have a wireless N router with USB port for around €70 online. Its meant to be a chunky piece of kit, but gets excellent reviews for its real world throughput.

Broadbandbuyer have the price of the WZR-HP-G300NH in sterling, I was thinking of getting it but might not for a while since I already have the WHR-G300N (slightly weaker version of the WZR-HP-G300NH).Dunno about the release date, broadbandbuyer still say call for latest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement