Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC2 The problem with working women documentary

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:22am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see this?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Havent seen it, but sounds awfully sexist already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Aw dang. I didn't hear about it. Would be interested to watch it. Or maybe I wouldn't. If only I could make my mind up. I presume it's going on about how the childers are out of control coz mammy is out working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How can we have seen it when it's not scheduled to be on until this evening at 9pm ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00knrnq
    n the second of two provocative programmes, we look at pay, asking why there is still a pay gap several decades after the Equal Pay Act. Presenters Sophie Raworth and Justin Rowlatt want to find out why the average pay gap is 17 per cent. And it is not just professional curiosity; as parents of girls, the pair really want to know.

On their journey Sophie and Justin meet professionals, mums and academics, and do some of their own tests, asking whether it is just sexism at play or if there are more complex reasons. Could it be that women are actually choosing to earn less? And they find some shocking facts: in the US thin women earn more than fat women; girls who go to single-sex schools go on to earn more; and hundreds of thousands of women in the UK are illegally being paid less than their male counterparts.

The programme also features specially commissioned surveys that throw new light on the debate. There are plenty of arguments along the way, but Sophie and Justin do manage to reach a conclusion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

WindSock wrote: »
    Aw dang. I didn't hear about it. Would be interested to watch it. Or maybe I wouldn't. If only I could make my mind up. I presume it's going on about how the childers are out of control coz mammy is out working.

No, yesterday's programme (it's on bbc iplayer @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kq69s) was about women and work and how they combined working and having children (or not as the case may be).

Tonights programme is looking at the issue of equal pay for women, the title is actually the trouble with working women, not the problem with working women.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thaedydal wrote: »
    How can we have seen it when it's not scheduled to be on until this evening at 9pm ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00knrnq

It's a two part documentary, first one was last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I saw part of it. It was focusing on all facets of the subject really. Experts and commentators from both sides of the argument. To be honest from the piece of it I saw I think it was way too wide ranging to give any real insight.

Advertisement