Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoker over 20 years and giving up on mon 25th may

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have been smoking since the age of about 12 and quite literally every day since.I now smoke about 40 per day and absolutely love them but know I have to give up as I cant run up the stairs anymore without wheezing and coughing. So giving up on Mon and really terrified, dont know what to expect....any miracle tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Aysha wrote: »
    I have been smoking since the age of about 12 and quite literally every day since.I now smoke about 40 per day and absolutely love them but know I have to give up as I cant run up the stairs anymore without wheezing and coughing. So giving up on Mon and really terrified, dont know what to expect....any miracle tips?

Allan Carr's "The EasyWay to quit smoking" is about as miraculous as it gets. Doesn't matter how many you've smoked or for how long (indeed the longer the better) It's falling-off-a-log-easy - but you do have to read it slowly and deliberately (smoking your way all the way through the book - so you don't have to quit Monday). It's a slim volume and it's easy reading nature might let you think you can zip through it in an afternoon

And you do have to follow the easy peasy instructions

No willpower/gum/withdrawal symptoms (worth a damn)/weight gain required. And if you're reckoning otherwise en route then you're probably not reading slowly and deliberately enough. Or you're not following the easy peasy instructions.

Good hunting//

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

So giving up on Mon and really terrified, dont know what to expect....any miracle tips?

I smoked for over 14 years. I gave up five weeks ago and am doing grand. At this stage I hardly think of a fag, and if I do, it's only a thought and I tell myself I no longer do that.

What worked for me:
    Reading Allen Carr.
    Deciding I just won't be smoking anymore.

I was also terrified, didn't know what to expect.
    Looking back I actually found it easier than I ever thought possible.

Here's what you need to know:
    Day 2 and 3 are the worst. The urge to smoke is strong. These are the two days where you need to tell yourself that you just won't be smoking. That the nicotine is leaving your body and hence the urge to replace it is strong and horrible. You have to tell yourself it's only two days and once they are over, so is the worst of it.
    Day 4 is an awful lot better.
    By day 5 you will no longer get those horrible, prolonged urges.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

The first few days are the worst by a mile, but it's definitely doable. Make sure you keep active, manual chores and/or excercise are a great way to help keep your mind off the urges. Drink plenty of water and stay strong! Good luck, you won't regret it.

Forgot to add, exercise and keep busy for every second of the first 3 days.
    I painted 3 coats on my hall, stairs and landing. :)

I'm 37 and was a smoker for over 20, like yourself.

I stopped smoking 2nd week in Jan.

Like what you said the weezing and coughing, etc, becomes unbearable.

I tried patches, champix, etc and in the end I just stopped.

I was a heavy smoker, I go to bed with a clean ashtray and smoke through the night (sometimes in my sleep), a bad habit inherited from working unsocial hours at sea.

Your taking the first step and thats wanting to stop, and well done.

The allan carr book is great read through the first few days and really helps.

Give your self a lot of praise.

Best of luck and remain positive..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I smoked for 35 years.
    4 months quit now and no regrets.

What worked for me was Allen Carr, a little willpower, something to occupy my hands and a plan to get through to hour 72 when I knew the withdrawal would end

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Aysha

Thanks for all the tips, I have to be brutally honest just came in from work and feeling, shag this, im not going to give up but genuinely, after reading the tips etc... I think Im back on track.I have crap willpower but I suppose will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for all the tips, I have to be brutally honest just came in from work and feeling, shag this, im not going to give up but genuinely, after reading the tips etc... I think Im back on track.I have crap willpower but I suppose will just have to wait and see.

All of the above posters (me included) have mentioned Allen Carr. Allen Carr's method eradicates the need for willpower - which is why it's called "The easyway to quit smoking". The willpower method, on the other hand, is "The hardest way to quit smoking".

Buy the book and read it (whilst smoking to your hearts content) according to the advice given and you'll escape the smoking trap.

Hi Antisceptic,
    I have acually read the book, it was about 5 years ago and read it thinking there was a big secret to quitting hidden in the pages.I read and read and didnt find it. You see Im one of those who looks for every excuse to keep smoking, Im giving up Monday and dont want to but I will.

Im giving up Monday and dont want to but I will.

You'll not get far with that attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You'll not get far with that attitude.

its certainly not a great help!

I gave up over 2 years ago after smoking for about 15 years. I had given up a numbe rof times before but always gone back.

The last time was very different as I really just felt that I didn't want to smoke anymore. Just dig in and get over first week or so; its amazing how quickly you will suddenly realise "I didn't even think about a cigarette today"

Two more days to go and Its only 8.30 in the morning and Ive already smoked 5 cigs and found myself thinking, it will be so good to feel free of this so feeling positive.

Hi Antisceptic,
    I have acually read the book, it was about 5 years ago and read it thinking there was a big secret to quitting hidden in the pages. I read and read and didnt find it. You see Im one of those who looks for every excuse to keep smoking, Im giving up Monday and dont want to but I will.

I remember my mam taking us kids down to the Dodder river one summer to fish for pinkines (a tiny fish). We arrived in a heap of jam jars and nets tied to bamboo sticks and looked into the water. "There they are" my mother cried excitedly. We all looked in but couldn't see a thing. "Where mam?" we asked.

"There, right there in front of your nose" she urged, pointing her finger down at the water. We couldn't see anything. Until something clicked and we stopped looking at the reflection on the surface of the water but shifted our sight to look past the reflection and into the water - where all the fish were.

The Big Secret with Allen Carrs book is the simple truth about smoking. Try the book again - with a view to letting the truth about smoking filter into your mind. Because if he dismantles all the mythical reasons behind the notion that you get anything from smoking then the walls of the prison cell that currently confine you will evaporate. There's no fanfare of trumpets - you simply walk away because there is nothing to restrain you any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I don't have any tips, but I just thought I'd say congratulations for giving up. Its always nice to see someone giving the dirty things up.

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 olympia1

I am smoking too - unfortunately!
    I wish you good luck

Advertisement