Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting on to Masters courses with a low 2:1

Options
  • 19-05-2009 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

When applying for Masters courses I see a lot give requirements of a higher 2:1, Im guessing this means 67% and above?
    Just wondering how it is for graduates with something in the low to mid-60's, I know they'll tend to fill the places based on the highest results available from the pool of applicants but what are people's experiences of getting on to a Master's course with a 2:1 in the range of 60-65%?

I guess if you can let us know which course it was that would be handy too as some have more competition than others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cunniny3

In what area do you want to do a Masters? Business? History? Physics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I've never seen a requirement for a 'high' 2:1, only a 2:1 or 'higher', but then I'm in Arts :D

What's deemed as a high 2:1 is somewhat relative. 65 is a none too shabby result in most people's books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

cunniny3 wrote: »
    In what area do you want to do a Masters? Business? History? Physics?

I'm looking at two separate routes- either something in International Relations ( my undergrad is in politics ) or going down the finance/business route(I'll most likely take this route if I get an good offer)
    I kinda cocked up last year which is probably going to drag my result down to around 62-3% at best.
    So Im just a bit worried that it may not be good enough for some of the courses Im applying for (TCD, UCD, QUB, etc) especially as there seems to be a rise in Masters applicants this year due to the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A 2:1 is a 2:1, no matter what. Unless there are other factors, such as a high number of applicants, I would be surprised if the college worried about just how near the margin a mark was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

RATM wrote: »
    I'm looking at two separate routes- either something in International Relations ( my undergrad is in politics ) or going down the finance/business route(I'll most likely take this route if I get an good offer)
    I kinda cocked up last year which is probably going to drag my result down to around 62-3% at best.
    So Im just a bit worried that it may not be good enough for some of the courses Im applying for (TCD, UCD, QUB, etc) especially as there seems to be a rise in Masters applicants this year due to the recession.

I'm on the MA I. Politics pathway at QUB right now (just my thesis to go!) and the entry requirements for anything in the PISP school is a 2:1 minimum (i.e. a 2:1 or higher). Once you're in the zone it doesn't matter if it's a 61 or a 69. They were undersubscribed on the majority of pathways in the School last year and even with the recession a 63 wouldn't preclude you from getting in. There is increased competition from high achievers this year because of the big increases to the bursaries, but it's not just a numbers game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    A 2:1 is a 2:1, no matter what. Unless there are other factors, such as a high number of applicants, I would be surprised if the college worried about just how near the margin a mark was.
    pow wow wrote: »
    I'm on the MA I. Politics pathway at QUB right now (just my thesis to go!) and the entry requirements for anything in the PISP school is a 2:1 minimum (i.e. a 2:1 or higher). Once you're in the zone it doesn't matter if it's a 61 or a 69. They were underdescribed on the majority of pathways in the School last year and even with the recession a 63 wouldn't preclude you from getting in. There is increased competition from high achievers this year because of the big increases to the bursaries, but it's not just a numbers game.

Thanks lads, you've put my mind at bit at ease. I was just a bit worried about having a low 2.1 but it seems you guys reckon once you have a 2.1 everyone is treated more or less on an equal standing. I suppose it may matter for course that have high competition level like a Msc in Finance at TCD ( which I think requires GMATs in any case ).
    Anyway I'd better get back to the slog to make sure I get the dam 2.1!
    Thanks for your help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Higher just means honours. Some courses stipulate 2.1 but accept 2.2 depending on number of applicants, other criteria like work experience or, if you meet with the head of the course and impress with your knowledge/desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Some do specify a high 2:1, and I'd guess that's about 67 up, yep. But it depends on what else you're bringing to the table - e.g. work experience, references, high marks in the parts of your undergrad course that are particularly relevant to the masters, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I've seen a couple of courses that required high 2.1s, it normally meant you needed a 2.1 (hons) or a GPA above 3.25/3.5. It really depends on the college though, e-mail them about it and you should get a straight forward answer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The IR in DCU seems to be competitive to get into but work/life experience counts for a lot also.

I know friends of mine with 2.2s doing accounting masters here so you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

claire h wrote: »
    Some do specify a high 2:1, and I'd guess that's about 67 up, yep.

I've never seen this before in my life, what course/college was this?

"high" or "higher" 2.1 basically just means it's a 2.1 in a higher (level 8) degree, rather than an ordinary (level 7) degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

With any 2.1 and the fact that your undergrad is in politics I think you'd get into the MA IR in most places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

jape wrote: »
    I've never seen this before in my life, what course/college was this?

"high" or "higher" 2.1 basically just means it's a 2.1 in a higher (level 8) degree, rather than an ordinary (level 7) degree.

Cambridge, Oxford, Trinity.

If somewhere asks for an honours degree and says a 'high 2.1', they mean a high 2.1. I've never seen 'high 2.1' to mean 'a 2.1 in an honours degree', have in that case seen things like 'a good upper second in an honours degree'.

Can you actually go and do a masters directly from a level 7 degree, btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

It depends, I got a 2:2 and am doing a masters that had a requirement for a higher 2:1, though I had three years relavent work experience aswell.

Advertisement