Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Raft Foundation and groundswork?

• 19-05-2009 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Im meeting a few contractors this week for pricing my raft foundation for the house and shed. I was just wondering has anyone got any price lately so i could have a general idea of what is the going rate in these recessional times?
    Also, i could organise to construct the raft myself due to my background and if that was the case, has anyone any tips on what you should look out for?
    thanks all,
    poochie:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 donal1981

It depends on a few variables (Eg size of rafts, is there different levels, underlying soil & rock on the site) But I found the price between 4000 & 6500 when i was pricing around in galway -- always go with someone recommended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

just after doing my raft for a square house of 120 square meters and garage of 66 all the same level and did not waste any money but a lot more then expected
    stone 5500
    materials eg timder and radon etc 1300
    hire of machinery 750
    steel 1500
    concrete 4750
    ladour did it my self

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Hi Poochie,

I put in my raft in East Galway a couple of weeks ago.

House is 178m2 + garage 44m2

3" down stone + CL804 €4421
    Vibrating roller €218
    Concrete €6813
    Steel €1400
    Labour €4800
    Prices include vat

Make sure to put in as many ducts as you can fit in ie esb ducts to garrage, electric gates, septec tank. External air ducts to stoves. Heating ducts for insulated flow and return from boiler in garage. watch your levels.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 liam300tm

+ include cost of raft design.

I forgot to add

Track machine and driver €1500
    Radon Barrier €198

I did the steel schedule myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭poochie2009

Hey all,
    Thanks very much for all the help.iv priced around in my area in north galway and the best iv got is a local guy who will do all the work for 3500.he comes with a good reputation and sound as well.also,he has his own machine,roller,timbers and he will tie the steel..
    good advice about the ducts..went through what services i want to facilitate over the weekend..
    Better drop that letter to the council today to let them know im starting plus my 30 euro for what i dont know when they want 500 quid later on...
    hate galway co co for fees like that!!

Hi Poochie2009,

Sounds like a great price. A guy called into me and offered to do my raft for €2600. I ran him because he couldnt give me any references. Glad I did. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

Is their much of a price difference for a Raft foundation on Bog or on Rock,
    I am looking at a story and a half with size of 2400 square foot, their appears to be a lot of Rock under the surface, but wont know until it is dug out.....

Anyone got ideas or References?
    Cork Area........

I was told by a surveyor it would cost near 20k - 30k, that was without him looking at it and as much info as I have given ye guys.

Regards and thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Anyone like to estimate how much less would strip foundations have cost for the above houses? I need to soon decide which to go with as planning permission was approved this morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I worked out a costing relating to a rectangular 140 sq.m floor house comparing strip versus raft construction.
    In that particular case, once it went over 3 courses of block underground, a raft became the cheaper option.
    Generally I feel if you have good ground where 2 to 3 courses of block only to floor level, a strip will be cheaper. Dont underestimate the hassle in doing a strip foundation if doing the house by direct labour.....

Raft: Get site cleared and filled. Get raft esigned. Radon barrier etc installed, Get contractor to do raft start to finish

Strip: Clear site. set out house for dig. Dig out footings. Concrete footings. set out for blockwork, get blocklayer and associated materials & water. Backfill and prepare for subfloor. Radon barrier & sump, insulation, pour floor. There is a bit more running around to do it this way when going direct labour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Is it true to say a raft will;

1) Be less likely to show cracks in the walls as the floor won't settle differently to the walls

2) Allow easy insulation of the cold-bridges between floors and walls

3) Suit cavity block wall construction

I know these questions have been answered on other posts but I'm still confused...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Angel2009

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone would have any idea how much a raft foundation would cost for a house 48foot by 29foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HobNob

we recently put in a raft, but it was put in under footings,
    so we have a raft then three course of blocks and it's backfilled
    like a strip foundation. That's the way the engineer designed it.
    handy for placing pipes and stuff afterwards.

Just for the raft, the materials came to 20k
    and I paid 7K labour, that includes clearing site as well
    house is roughly 13M By 9M with an extra sun room on one side.

this also included a 7M by 5M garage.

Loads of steel, stone and 100 Cubic Meters of 40N concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

Hi All,
    Looking for a recommendation of a contractor to put in 172m2 raft foundation on a flat level site in north co. dublin. Raft designed by C.eng and steel schedule done. Need someone decent - anyone have a recommendation. PM's welcomed and much appreciated.

Cheers
    :confused:

Advertisement