Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords / Weapons Martial Art Training around sandyford?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi guys, tried searching the forum for this and couldn't find anything so apologies if there's already a thread.

I've been doing karate for a while and would like to do some weapons training, we were supposed to get an expert in to do a seminar but it never happened.
    Since then I've been thinking about it.
    I've no idea what it would be called but something involving samurai swords or something like that would be a good start.

I'm based in sandyford but have a car so as long as it's not too far away.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

asharkman wrote: »
    Hi guys, tried searching the forum for this and couldn't find anything so apologies if there's already a thread.

I've been doing karate for a while and would like to do some weapons training, we were supposed to get an expert in to do a seminar but it never happened.
    Since then I've been thinking about it.
    I've no idea what it would be called but something involving samurai swords or something like that would be a good start.

I'm based in sandyford but have a car so as long as it's not too far away.

Thanks for any help!

Hi asharkman

You could try Kendo, not real swords however, beginners course starting in Raheny this coming sunday

https://www.muyukankendo.com/DUblin_Kendo_News.html

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

These boys and girls are pure sword:
    http://www.haidong-gumdo.ie/
    Nothing around Sandyford though.

These guys have a place in Bray:
    http://www.iaido.ie/

Also try any of the escrima/kali/arnis folk for sword and knife work or have a go at Olympic Fencing for a different perspective !

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

For combatitive Japanese sword - not sportified or made into "zen" movement - then bujinkan is worth checking out. Because the sword is used in conjunction with unarmed and other weapons, don't expect 100% sword at any class. In my dojo at least, I teach sword basics maybe 1 hour out of 4.

www.bujinkan.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

There are so many different types, hopefully over the next month or so i'll be able to try a few and see which one i like best.

Thanks for the replies guys!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It depends upon what you wish to accomplish. If you want to master a Japanese sword ryu, just like any other MA, it will take years of continuous practice under the guidance of a qualified swordmaster. Mastery cannot be obtained from vids, books, seminars, or from instructors who have not trained for years under a qualified swordmaster themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

See i'm not sure exactly what i want.
    I've done karate for a few years now getting better at that,
    learning all the kata's and moves etc... so that's going well.
    I'd like to broaden my horizons.

Every thing you say is true alright, but it doesn't really help my quest to find somewhere to train using a sword or weapon. I'm looking for a qualified swordsmasters class. Do you know where I can find one?

It depends upon what you wish to accomplish. If you want to master a Japanese sword ryu, just like any other MA, it will take years of continuous practice under the guidance of a qualified swordmaster. Mastery cannot be obtained from vids, books, seminars, or from instructors who have not trained for years under a qualified swordmaster themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do you know where I can find one?
    Unfortunately I've been across the pond attending university for over 3 years, and didn't start my training in Iaijutsu until after I was Stateside. You might want to send pearsquasher a PM to see if he knows of any swordmasters within driving distance for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

A late PM sent to the O.P....

Advertisement