Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adaptability

• 19-05-2009 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

I have a Canon eos 400D (Digital Rebel) body and would like to be able to use Nikon lenses with it. I have a Nikkor 55-200 f/4-5.6G IF -ED which is very smooth to use.

I understand that an adapter has limitations and that it will be necessary to work in Manual mode and not use auto-focus.

Which is the most reliable adapter to buy, please?

Also, from what I have read, it seems to be easier to fit Nikon lenses to Canon bodies, rather than the other way round.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Some information here

I think you may be out of luck as the lens you have is a "G" lens, which does not have an Aperture Ring. If you can use it at all it would be only with the Aperture wide open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Nikkor lenses can be adapted for use with the EOS mount because the distance between the lens mount and the focal plane is smaller than in Nikon cameras. This smaller distance means the Canon mount can accommodate an Nikon mount adapter while maintaining infinity focus ability.

You can buy Nikon F to EOS mount adapters for G lenses. Apparently this one is quite good, although I don't know how well they'll work on a 450D and I doubt it's worth the money as the Nikon lens you have isn't particularly expensive and probably isn't worth further investment.

If you'd like an inexpensive but similar (or better) lens to the Nikkor, I recommend Canon's EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS lens. Using a lens intended for use with Canon's mount also means you can avail of autofocus and automatic aperture control as well as the image stabilisation offered by this model.

Edit: The mount adapter I linked to above allows manual aperture control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Getting a Nikon Body or sell the lens & buy a Canon one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

My husband has a Nikon system, so I thought I might be able to use the Nikkor lenses on my Canon.

Thanks for the clear answers.

The obvious thing to do is to borrow his camera...

Advertisement