Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

42" Full HD Philips in Tesco

• 19-05-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I "think" this is the one I saw in Tesco Maynooth on Friday.
    It was cheaper than the UK site too and I am sure it was about €700 but since I could not afford to buy it, I did not pay too much attention but it was 42" I believe and it had the freeview built in just like this one.
    Looked like it too so its probably the same.
    OK so the digital tuner is not much good over here yet but its handy to have and for a Philips and full hd I thought it was a good deal.

If I see it again I will confirm the price.
    If it has been posted before (did not see it) then sorry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Just a note for anyone interested - Freeview is really no use in this country, it just means that it has at least an MPEG 2 digital tuner, which is enough to get the Freeview channels in the UK. What you need to check for is that it has an MPEG 4 digital tuner. That's what RTE will be broadcasting in when it goes digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭PCDub

Seen the same tv in Tesco dundrum for 649, was sorely tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Saruman wrote: »
    I "think" this is the one I saw in Tesco Maynooth on Friday.....

....If I see it again I will confirm the price.
    If it has been posted before (did not see it) then sorry.

Yes, that's the one. It's so tempting for €649

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

€649 then is the real price then, I was sure it was under €700 :D
    Very tempting, like I said the freeview built in is not much good over here but its a big full hd TV for cheap from a world class brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭brightkane

if u are using sky or nthell it doesnt matter about the MPEG4 is that right or wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Right as the black box supplies the signal to the tv and not the tuner.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

I bought one of them for 999€ bout a year ago

great tele

kicking myself now, tho on other hand my old tv broke and i needed a new one for hd videos (via wdtv) and xbox live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Anyone use this model with a 360/PS3? Reviews on avforums.co.uk seem
    a tad iffy about how well it handles gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Anyone use this model with a 360/PS3? Reviews on avforums.co.uk seem
    a tad iffy about how well it handles gaming.

Philips LCD TVs are notorious for their input lag, hence the many comments on AVForums regarding their poor gaming performance. Its due in large part to the image processing going on before the image is displayed.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Philips LCD TVs are notorious for their input lag, hence the many comments on AVForums regarding their poor gaming performance. Its due in large part to the image processing going on before the image is displayed.

dunno this model i have absolutely no issues with

ive been playing halo3 almost daily now via hdmi connection and watched planet earth and few other films in 1080p with absolutely no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I have yet to see a decent picture off this TV (42PFL5603D) in any of the stores. I was interested in it when it came out (shortly after xmas I think for €999). It may be better if I had it at home, could be a setup thing?

However, the next model (42PFL7603D) up gives a far surperior image imo and it has the MPeg4 decoder although the cheapest I have seen it is €1099.

ionix5891 wrote: »
    dunno this model i have absolutely no issues with

ive been playing halo3 almost daily now via hdmi connection and watched planet earth and few other films in 1080p with absolutely no issues

While input lag is not an issue for some people, it is a factor that a lot of gamers take heed of when comparing LCD TVs. In addition, rhythm based games, sports games and FPS are the main genres that are affected by input lag, for obvious reasons, so you're lucky enough to not notice any issue when playing Halo 3.

MaxFlower wrote: »
    I have yet to see a decent picture off this TV (42PFL5603D) in any of the stores. I was interested in it when it came out (shortly after xmas I think for €999). It may be better if I had it at home, could be a setup thing?

However, the next model (42PFL7603D) up gives a far surperior image imo and it has the MPeg4 decoder although the cheapest I have seen it is €1099.

was the console, blue ray, media player or whatever connected via HDMI?

also when you switch it on first time theres install wizard that lets so optimize various settings (color, brightness, contrast etc) to your taste

i just checked around the back of the tv it is 42PFL603D/10 not sure what this tesco number is, seems to be few slash whatever ones...

anyways this won best of CES2008 and alot of positive reviews

the product pages (once again im not sure the exact tesco model)

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_42PFL5603D_27_US_CONSUMER/LCD-TV+42PFL5603D-10

i only heard about this RTE mpeg4 thing now, not sure if i care :P i honestly forgot last time i watched them and whether an integrated tuner is worth so much extra

this works with my xbox, blue ray player, wdtv and wii so happy days :)
    shocked that prices went down so much

While input lag is not an issue for some people, it is a factor that a lot of gamers take heed of when comparing LCD TVs. In addition, rhythm based games, sports games and FPS are the main genres that are affected by input lag, for obvious reasons, so you're lucky enough to not notice any issue when playing Halo 3.

says 5ms in manual, i got to brigadier in halo so something must be right :D be a general now if only my stupid ntl connection gets funny at times (no i dont suck :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Can anyone confirm the exact model number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I imagine tesco buys stuff like this in fair old bulk, so its almost certainly the one in this link

Pretty good for 650E if you ask me. As ever though, better is available for a little more

Zonda999 wrote: »

Pretty good for 650E if you ask me. As ever though, better is available for a little more

like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

zAbbo wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the exact model number?

Philips 42PFL5603D/10

like?

Where would i start:)

For under 900E all in, this takes some beating. You'll be waiting for it though!

I guess a couple of hundred extra might not be everyones definition of a little more but i guess its all about how much you think is worth it for a decent telly!

For under 900E all in, this takes some beating. You'll be waiting for it though!

I guess a couple of hundred extra might not be everyones definition of a little more but i guess its all about how much you think is worth it for a decent telly!

I have a 24" samsung in front of me so i have nothing against them as they sure do make bright panels

but is the above linked one "better"? im having hard time finding much info (even on their own site) on the tv you linked

lets see, here is what i could find

42PFL5603D vs LE40B651
    ~650 vs ~900euro ?
    42" vs 40"
    1080p vs 1080p
    4x hdmi vs 4x hdmi
    contrast; 29000:1 vs 120000:1 Dynamic Contrast
    brightness; 500 cd/m2 vs ??
    refresh: 60hz vs 100Hz

A little bit more, is something almost 40% more? and requires a trip to Belfast...

No offence, but if you're going to make throwaway comments, you could attempt to justify them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No trip to Belfast required, they ship it to you if you need that service and will get you anything on the UK website shipped in to them too. That is the full price, mention boards.ie and you get a discount. The Samsung is a 100Hz Panel, that in itself is worth the difference.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Lads buy Irish, buy Panasonic.
    We have a room full of Tv's here everything from sony to samsung and the panasonic beats them all bar the pioneer.
    Deepest blacks and practically bullet proof

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Caruso

Actually, Richer Sounds will not deliver the Samsung B650, or any other item designated "in-store only". See this recent enquiry from Kidsam on the Richer Sounds forum re. delivery. Excellent price if you don't mind the trip to Belfast. Otherwise, like me, you'll have to pay a good 10% more. Fantastic telly, but we're a long way from €650 at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

slemons wrote: »
    Lads buy Irish, buy Panasonic.
    Aren't Panasonic Japanese? Or do they have a plant here? At least Philips are European...

Or are you referring to Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

brightkane wrote: »
    if u are using sky or nthell it doesnt matter about the MPEG4 is that right or wrong?

Correct.
    It doesn't matter.
    You will get the digital RTE from Sky or NTL

but remember MPEG4 is free , Sky and NTL are not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Aren't Panasonic Japanese? Or do they have a plant here? At least Philips are European...

Or are you referring to Tesco?
    Any panasonic plasma Tv with 3 hdmi ports was designed in Limerick.

I have a 24" samsung in front of me so i have nothing against them as they sure do make bright panels

but is the above linked one "better"? im having hard time finding much info (even on their own site) on the tv you linked

lets see, here is what i could find

42PFL5603D vs LE40B651
    ~650 vs ~900euro ?
    42" vs 40"
    1080p vs 1080p
    4x hdmi vs 4x hdmi
    contrast; 29000:1 vs 120000:1 Dynamic Contrast
    brightness; 500 cd/m2 vs ??
    refresh: 60hz vs 100Hz

Fair enough but actual final image quality comes down to a lot more than just raw figures. Go to a site like avforums.com and more or less anyone will tell you that a 40B650 would be in completely different league to the philips. Heres a review of the samsung. It along with its equivalently priced sony would at the moment be considered the best non LED backlit LCD tvs available for under a grand
    A little bit more, is something almost 40% more? and requires a trip to Belfast...

No offence, but if you're going to make throwaway comments, you could attempt to justify them.

It was late! i didnt fell like compiling a list! BTW, i did mention you'd be waiting for it.

Anyways,i've come up with another option

This looks very good value at about 630€ delivered. Lg's 2009 plasma range is considered to be good for the money and i think for most people, this plasma would be much better for normal TV watching than the philips. Not only does it have 100Hz, it also has a 600Hz sub field driver like this years Panasonic plasmas. Also plasmas are generally better for SD content anyway. Also, this one claims a TNT HD tuner which should mean that it will pick up Irish DTT

Caruso wrote: »
    Actually, Richer Sounds will not deliver the Samsung B650, or any other item designated "in-store only". See this recent enquiry from Kidsam on the Richer Sounds forum re. delivery. Excellent price if you don't mind the trip to Belfast. Otherwise, like me, you'll have to pay a good 10% more. Fantastic telly, but we're a long way from €650 at this point.

Like all tvs with Richer sounds though, this one will become available for delivery before too long. True we are a bit form 650€ alright but as always with TVs, there will alwaya be something better available for more money
    Pal wrote: »
    Correct.
    It doesn't matter.
    You will get the digital RTE from Sky or NTL

but remember MPEG4 is free , Sky and NTL are not

I really do think it would be worth getting an mpeg4 compatible tv at this stage. Even if you've already got sky or whatever, if you wanted to move the TV to another room or something, it is always nice to know you'll be able to get the four terrestrial channels in perfect digital quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I really do think it would be worth getting an mpeg4 compatible tv at this stage. Even if you've already got sky or whatever, if you wanted to move the TV to another room or something, it is always nice to know you'll be able to get the four terrestrial channels in perfect digital quality

theres a hell of a lot of caveats to this - you need to be in a digital enabled area, you may need a roof aerial; if you do have a roof aerial then you can already get the 4 channels on analogue and this probably won't be switched off for another 6 years; there's only ever likely to be 4 channels on DTT; if you already have a dish you'd be a lot better off buying a freesat receiver for less than €100 and running an extra line from your dish; you'll probably be able to buy an external DTT receiver for less than €100 when the service is launched anyway.

In summary, MPEG4 is a red herring, and not worth spending 100s of euro extra on just to get an integrated tuner.

loyatemu wrote: »
    theres a hell of a lot of caveats to this - you need to be in a digital enabled area, you may need a roof aerial; if you do have a roof aerial then you can already get the 4 channels on analogue and this probably won't be switched off for another 6 years; there's only ever likely to be 4 channels on DTT; if you already have a dish you'd be a lot better off buying a freesat receiver for less than €100 and running an extra line from your dish; you'll probably be able to buy an external DTT receiver for less than €100 when the service is launched anyway.

In summary, MPEG4 is a red herring, and not worth spending 100s of euro extra on just to get an integrated tuner.

You're probably right will but most TVs being launched from now on seem to have an mpeg4 tuner anyway. Speakin of analogue, with a big tv you'd want to be gettin a digital signal. A lot of people even at this stage would be able to get DTT even with a cheap indoor aerial

Your damn right about freesat, At the moment the best way of getting the best in free television is to get a freesat PVR and a DTT tv. Its disappointing but it looks like you'll never be able to get RTE free via satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

was the console, blue ray, media player or whatever connected via HDMI?

No idea to be honest. I just compared whatever was showing between the two models (always the same image of course).

If I could get it home and try it out with a no quibble returns guarantee, I would go for it as it is a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just to note you can turn all image possessing off for gaming inputs and you get no lag.

I have the 47" 9703 and I get no lag on Xbox 360. (at least you can turn it off on my model)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Has anyone actually seen these in the stores this week? It's a tad academic us debating the picture quality if they're out of stock. Dundrum had none earlier and said it was not a current offer.

god's toy wrote: »
    Just to note you can turn all image possessing off for gaming inputs and you get no lag.

I have the 47" 9703 and I get no lag on Xbox 360. (at least you can turn it off on my model)

I understand that, but you shouldn't have to when a lot of other manufacturers' models are able to offer video processing with low input lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

loads in the drogheda store, has been for weeks...defo a bargain if you ask me..full HD at that price, couldnt go wrong for your average user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Two in ClareHall;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

I have a store model put aside till Saturday at Tescos Galway. There's a mark or two on the screen which I hope can come off! The picture wasn't bad, but I thing the feed was poor so that didn't help. I was also thinking of ordering a Samsung LE40B650 for 999. The spec is great on the Sammy compared to the Philips. Hard to decide as the technology is changing day - to - day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

very good price on this set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Any update on this? Anyone buy one? Places i've checked don't seem to have them and didn't even seem to know what I was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

loads in the drogheda 24hr store..got one, looks well, same one in harvey normans €899...loadza connections on it +1usb slot....defo worth getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Any update on this? Anyone buy one? Places i've checked don't seem to have them and didn't even seem to know what I was talking about.
    Artane castle have some left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭manufan16

none left in clearwater or clare hall. ended up going to drogheda who had 2 left.
    seems worth it so far, no noticable lag on gaming and sky non hd looks good too.

Advertisement