Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerlingus Apparent Sale

• 19-05-2009 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Apparently Aerlingus are doing a Summer Sale on flights to USA and you can save money. I had looked previously and the previous price was cheaper than the current sale price. :confused:
    www.aerlingus.com.
    might be of service to someone.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I looked last night for those €199 flights to New York and I found them alright......in SEPTEMBER! Some summer promotion that is. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Another phantom sale.
    Their prices to the US in June,July and August are ridiculously high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

daytob wrote: »
    Apparently Aerlingus are doing a Summer Sale on flights to USA and you can save money. I had looked previously and the previous price was cheaper than the current sale price. :confused:

Unfortunately that is not unusual with Aer Lingus. It happened with their last couple of sales as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I looked last night for those €199 flights to New York and I found them alright......in SEPTEMBER! Some summer promotion that is. :(

I found them and return flights total 360 euro..

I am flying to New York with Aer Lingus on the 3rd of June for a week and the flights were €360 when I booked them in April.

Not much of a sale indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Murt10

Total con & rip off.

They insist on you buying a return flight to avail of this "offer"

Depart Dublin to Boston 4 Aug 2009.
    Fare E319 - "Special Discount" E50 + taxes E56 = E325

Return Boston to Dublin 20 Aug 2008
    Fare E289 - "Special Discount" E50 + taxes E17 = E256

Total cost = E581

Book the trips seperately and avoid the discount

Depart Dublin to Boston 4 Aug 2009.
    Fare E319 + taxes E56 = E375

Depart Boston to Dublin 20 Aug 2008
    Fare $229 + taxes $21 = $250
    250.00 USD = 183.184 EUR (per xe.com) = E184

Total Cost = E559

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Total joke of a sale:

I looked at a flight for a certain date and time three days ago.

Same flight cost €102 more today in their sale than it did on Sunday. Oh and thats only one way. I'm sure the return flight has rocketed too.

CHANCERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

are ryanair and aer lingus sales ever actually sales??dont get me wrong some of there prices are cheap initially but anytime i get an email from either when i check the flights nothin has changed ie there the price they have been(or dearer) for weeks/months across the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Ebookers.ie is good for cheap US flights where there's no direct route from Ireland. Their system looks for connecting flights internally in the US while other systems seem to look for (more expensive) connections in Europe (via Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, etc.). Booked a flight to Washington recently via Ebookers for €380 return from Dublin - looking on other comparison sites and on airlines' own sites (Air France, Aer Lingus, etc.) gave me €492 at the very best, and more often €530+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I think someone should look into these aerlingus sales. From what I've seen since last year, everytime they have a sale the flights seem to be more expensive than they where before the sale. I bought flights to San Francisco last year, €1200 return. There was no promotion on when I booked these. They'd 3 sales before I left. The cheapest in one of the sales was €1600 and in another sale they where €2400!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

I'd love to See Matt Cooper covering this. He seemed to receive a lot of complaints from parents around school book prices. Maybe he could spend the same diligence on these bogus fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

TJM wrote: »
    Ebookers.ie is good for cheap US flights where there's no direct route from Ireland. Their system looks for connecting flights internally in the US while other systems seem to look for (more expensive) connections in Europe (via Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, etc.). Booked a flight to Washington recently via Ebookers for €380 return from Dublin - looking on other comparison sites and on airlines' own sites (Air France, Aer Lingus, etc.) gave me €492 at the very best, and more often €530+.

+1

I have done a lot of research into flights to the US and yeah Ebookers are the cheapest i have found so far. Im looking to go to Vegas - its closer to €400 on ebookers while on Aerlingus Sale its 788.

Rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Is it true that they log your ip number if you are just looking and when you come back to buy, they NAIL YOU???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

expedia is good value if you are booking accommodation with the flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Right, I know people are saying the current aer lingus sale is a rip off but does anyone think there prices will go down after the sale. I'm looking to fly to Boston for 2 weeks on 5th September as I have holidays book for those dates. The flights were €300 a few weeks back but now there are €450. Will they get any cheaper or would I better off booking em now? I've looked at other airlines but nothing that cheap either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Is it true that they log your ip number if you are just looking and when you come back to buy, they NAIL YOU???

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Regulationsor should I say the lack of here in Ireland is the problem,..I thought the full price was to be shown up front not 3 or 4 steps later on in the booking process which is what actually happens, we heard on the news last week that some airlines have been put on some kind of EU rating list regarding these regulations.."it's a old game played slow" local & EU laws whilst giving the impression they are looking out for the consumer always leave loop hole's for the benefit of these airlines,...last time I looked easyjet seemed upfront & stright,.. I think they should be called EU suggestions or aspirations not regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

They are a disgrace ! air fungus are always at this type of thing !

Try
    www.cheaptickets.com

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Seamonster

I get these emails / mail-outs entitled "Summer Sales" where they have links in the body of the email saying "Barcelona €29" but when you click on the link you just get directed to the home page and no matter how much you search, nowhere on the site can you find Barcelona at that price. So, it's a blatant lie basically, surely that must be against the law?

I also had this situation once when flying to Berlin and I was buying my tickets on the site, I chose dates etc. and when I went to purchase they asked me to "Choose seat".....I wasn't to fussed about sitting next to my mates (The fact that they seperate groups of people is sickening anyway) so I decided not to choose my seat - but the feckers wouldn't process my payment until I chose my seat! And it cost €8 or something! So, basically, what they were saying was "If you want to choose to sit beside your mate, it's costs more. If you decide not to "choose" a seat, your not allowed to fly with us"

FECKERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

There is a write up in 2days Independant on how people in Ireland are being charged more.
    Hope i can post the link if not, mods please change.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/airline-slated-over-twotier-fares-1775732.html

AER Lingus charges passengers flying out of Ireland far more than those flying into the country from the same destinations, the Irish Independent can reveal.
    A study of fares reveals that Irish passengers are paying above the odds in all but two of the routes surveyed.
    A comparison of fares for flights departing from Dublin for weekend breaks in Frankfurt, Nice, Paris, Barcelona and Naples found it would cost more to fly return from Dublin in all but two cases. The comparison was based on the lowest available fare for flights departing and returning on the same dates.
    The most blatant price difference was for passengers travelling from Dublin to Nice, in which passengers departing Dublin were being charged a total return fare of €332.69 yesterday afternoon, while passengers flying to Dublin from Nice were being charged €197.69.
    The biggest price difference for trips to the US was for Boston-bound passengers, who are being charged €224.52 more for their return fare than Dublin-bound passengers from Boston, followed by €200.14 more for passengers travelling from Dublin to Chicago.
    Cheaper
    Only two fares from Dublin were cheaper. They were Dublin to Paris for a total fare of €179.05, compared to €199.05 to fly from Paris to Dublin, and Dublin to Barcelona for €218.12, compared to Barcelona to Dublin for €298.12. Both routes are serviced by their rivals Ryanair, which may explain the competitive prices.
    Enda Corneille, director of corporate affairs for Aer Lingus, said that while there may be some slight variations in fares between departure points, there shouldn't be wide variations. "The rack rate should be the same."
    However, he said there was currently a sale on flights to Dublin from many European cities which could account for the difference in fares.
    But Dermot Jewell of the Consumers Association of Ireland said it was outrageous that passengers were being charged above the odds.
    "From whatever side of the world you're travelling from, it should be fair," he said. "I think it's unforgivable at any time but especially now, when you should be rewarding those still willing to travel."

bet the goverment do feck all about this as well:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

i found flights for 160 euro to ny the other day in the sale, but today when i went to book they had doubled in price! im so damn mad the sale is still on like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

I was looking today at booking tickets to Amsterdam. Went online, has a look around. Managed to get a €0.00 flight on the way over and low and behold a €0.00 flight on the way back. Woo hoo, its my lucky day I thought to myself. Normally you get screwed with a €29.99 flight at least one way. So on i went to check out expecting to pay at least a minimal fee in taxes and charges, im not stupid after all. Total price comes to 68.98. This is not a free flight - this is a very full price ticket. I know we should be all used to getting fcuked over by airlines at this stage but it still doesnt' make any easier. Its really bloody annoying. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I was looking today at booking tickets to Amsterdam. Went online, has a look around. Managed to get a €0.00 flight on the way over and low and behold a €0.00 flight on the way back. Woo hoo, its my lucky day I thought to myself. Normally you get screwed with a €29.99 flight at least one way. So on i went to check out expecting to pay at least a minimal fee in taxes and charges, im not stupid after all. Total price comes to 68.98. This is not a free flight - this is a very full price ticket. I know we should be all used to getting fcuked over by airlines at this stage but it still doesnt' make any easier. Its really bloody annoying. :mad:

That is still ok. Normally Amsterdam flights with Aer Lingus work out at E120.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

Then they should advertise that price. They should say look - we are giving you €51.02 off our normal price on tickets. You normally pay €120 and now we are giving you this bargin price of €68.98.

Instead they treat you like an idiot and say here have two free flights. But they are not free - they cost money. If a shop was to advertise or sell this way there would be uproar.

I'm almost sorry to say this but at least Ryanair are up front about their charges. A flight to london cost me €10 one way. €20 return and then €10 credit card charge. Total price €40!! No hidden charges.

Advertisement