Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Meteor repairs are infuriating. Sent a phone for repair (Nokia e51, camera not working). It duly arrived back a week later in exactly the same state as before. They "engineer's report" said they replaced an internal part and made "3 mechanical repairs". But actually they reset the software and did nothing! They didn't even test the bloody camera before they sent it back.

Guy in the shop, who is admittedly not at fault, gave me the bull "It's not us, it's nokia" and sent it off again. Reading this, I don't have much faith in them doing anything second time around.

I know most people who have problems with their phones don't know what they're doing, and a software reset will fix it. But it is obviously their policy to just do this and send them back out without even bothering to test them, which makes me feel like I'm being treated like an idiot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

eightyfish wrote: »
    Guy in the shop, who is admittedly not at fault, gave me the bull "It's not us, it's nokia" and sent it off again.
    Meteor use an external company to do their repairs. It's not "bull"
    I know most people who have problems with their phones don't know what they're doing, and a software reset will fix it. But it is obviously their policy to just do this and send them back out without even bothering to test them, which makes me feel like I'm being treated like an idiot!

It's a very big jump from your phone not being fixed to it being policy not to repair phones. wait until it comes back, try it out in the store and if it's still not fixed, ask for a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Meteor use an external company to do their repairs. It's not "bull"

Fair enough. But it's their responsibility to get it fixed, even if they use and external company. Saying that it's not their fault is just passing the buck.
    It's a very big jump from your phone not being fixed to it being policy not to repair phones. wait until it comes back, try it out in the store and if it's still not fixed, ask for a replacement

Also fair enough. It's just annoying that the repair people didn't even bother to test the phone once. The second I turned it on and selected camera, the same fault was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You are entitled to have the first repair be permanent and so when this comes back still unfixed tell them where to go with the three returns policy they seem to have invented.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You are entitled to have the first repair be permanent and so when this comes back still unfixed tell them where to go with the three returns policy they seem to have invented.

MC

All the operators seem to have this policy, and it's a complete pain. Not only do you have to have it sent for repair 3 times, but it must be a confirmed fault, and the same one each time before they'll replace.

Since you have given them a chance to fix it, and they failed to do that, I'd be looking for a refund or replacement. To hell with their policy, it's not legally binding to have a policy that contradicts your statutory rights. See Q5 here.

jor el wrote: »
    All the operators seem to have this policy, and it's a complete pain. Not only do you have to have it sent for repair 3 times, but it must be a confirmed fault, and the same one each time before they'll replace.

They all have this policy except O2 (unless they've got rid of their swap out service?). I have enforced it because I didn't have a choice but everything I've seen suggests that it's illegal because everything I've seen quite clearly states that the first repair must be permanent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They all have this policy except O2 (unless they've got rid of their swap out service?). I have enforced it because I didn't have a choice but everything I've seen suggests that it's illegal because everything I've seen quite clearly states that the first repair must be permanent
    O2 are phasing out the SOS (if they haven't already) so it's back to the 3 strikes sh!te. :(

jor el wrote: »
    Since you have given them a chance to fix it, and they failed to do that, I'd be looking for a refund or replacement. To hell with their policy, it's not legally binding to have a policy that contradicts your statutory rights. See Q5 here.

I wonder if the second repair doesn't work, and I bring in a print of this, maybe that would convince them to swap it for a working phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I wonder if the second repair doesn't work, and I bring in a print of this, maybe that would convince them to swap it for a working phone.
    you should insist on a refund or replacement if it comes back broken again as they clearly have failed to repair even after being given two opportunities at it.

(i say insist because asking gets you nowhere in phone shops except for giving them a chance to bring in their three returns nonsense)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Good luck.

Meteor and their repair contractor are noting short of criminal. I had a phone that was causing problems, sent ti for repair and got a report of water damage back. This report contained a photo of said damage.

With the certain knowledge of the phone never getting wet i disputed this. I ended up opening the phone myself to inspect the damage and surprise surprise they had provided me with a picture of a different phone. Despite this prof they refused to recheck the phone.

This resulted in the commencement of legal action, which I won. I then made the effort of returning the phone to nokia where the fault was confirmed to be software, then did a reinstall, and the phone worked perfectly for another year before i changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

maglite wrote: »
    Meteor and their repair contractor are noting short of criminal.

I think meteor use Sigma for repairs

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Intend to get very annoyed if it comes back broken. Thing is, it depends on who you get and how you handle it. Years ago I worked in a well known electronics store in Dublin. People who got loudly frustrated or slightly aggressive were asked to leave the shop even if their complaints were justified. Even if some customers remained calm and explained themselves clearly, certain managers who felt like being pricks for the day still refused to listen. I remember feeling frustrated for the customers.

I hope to be proved wrong and to get back a fixed phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks for the replies.

Intend to get very annoyed if it comes back broken. Thing is, it depends on who you get and how you handle it. Years ago I worked in a well known electronics store in Dublin. People who got loudly frustrated or slightly aggressive were asked to leave the shop even if their complaints were justified. Even if some customers remained calm and explained themselves clearly, certain managers who felt like being pricks for the day still refused to listen. I remember feeling frustrated for the customers.

I hope to be proved wrong and to get back a fixed phone!
    i know someone who worked in a hardware store and he said his boss would fight any returns for whatever reason even though in most cases the reps would change/replace the items as soon as they were told about faulty ones, at no cost to the store. yet this ignorant man let the faulty goods he was forced to take back pile up in the back of the shop for months until they were thrown out leaving himself with a loss!

you will need to fight to get your rights with shopkepers like this who would rather take a loss than let a customer believe they have statutory rights!

Just an update on this. I've not received the phone back yet, but I have emailed meteor asking them to confirm that their three-repairs policy (as in Irish Times Pricewatch), including a link to the consumer website saying that the first repair should be permanent. I've asked them three times. Each time they ignore the question and send back a cut-and-paste text about their returns but not mentioning this policy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just an update on this. I've not received the phone back yet, but I have emailed meteor asking them to confirm that their three-repairs policy (as in Irish Times Pricewatch), including a link to the consumer website saying that the first repair should be permanent. I've asked them three times. Each time they ignore the question and send back a cut-and-paste text about their returns but not mentioning this policy.

Write a letter to them asking them this and send the letter via register mail
    your at nothing with e-mail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

People who got loudly frustrated or slightly aggressive were asked to leave the shop even if their complaints were justified.
    Retail staff just like everyone else have a right not to be threatened or abused, I've had people removed from the store from getting aggressive, I'd no qualms about it and would do it again if need be, that said I fully agree that consumers do have rights and should be afforded a certain level of service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gillo wrote: »
    Retail staff just like everyone else have a right not to be threatened or abused, I've had people removed from the store from getting aggressive, I'd no qualms about it and would do it again if need be, that said I fully agree that consumers do have rights and should be afforded a certain level of service.

Agreed, if you making a complaint you can still make a extremely strong complaint by being civil and logical when you deal with it.

Being irate means alot of the time people just won't want to deal with you and I wouldn't blame them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The CEO is Larry Smith, might be as well to address that letter to him. I've found that going straight to the top is the best thing to do when you're running in circles with customer service.

Absolutely. I said "slightly aggressive" but I may not have chosen my words correctly. Some people are good at staying calm when they get frustrated, not raising their voice and not looking annoyed etc. Most people, however, are not. When the already annoyed customer has someone looking blankly at them, not actually answering them, and refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem, said customer mostly gets frustrated. They might say the same thing again, but more franticly. It's difficult to keep the "Can I have an exchange." - "No. That's not our policy." - "but it's not working." - "That's not our policy" thing going for ever without changing tone. What I'm saying is that certain managers in the store I worked in would take advantage of this and refused to continue the conversation.

Blatant aggressive behaviour or abuse of staff is abhorrent.

For the record, the phone came back fixed the second time. That saved a lot of hassle.

(Meteor still ignored all emails though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

First time I was threatened I switched off the store lights and as I approached the door with the keys (quite obviously to lock it) I asked the little sh1te "how do you want to do this then?")......I think word got around because my job has been a doddle for years.....and I am pretty sure my penis has grown another couple of inches too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

In Poland and Czech and probably other eastern european countries, if you come back with a faulty good...even the next day you are told to get lost.
    Over here you can buy clothes wear them on a night out (leaving the tags on them) and than get a refund the next day. Crazy if you ask me! In Poland you dont stand a chance of this.

I don't understand why clothes stores have such a layed back returns policy.

I work in the mobile industry and I agree with everyone here that its against your rights having your phone sent off 3 times. Unfortunatly the people behind the counters don't write the rules, so getting annoyed with them only causes problems for you. If I have nice customers in store and are nice about it than I would get it over ridden so that they get a replacement after the 2nd time. People who think being rude and awkward works are digging themselves a hole.

Good news: Was at a meeting last week,they are currently reviewing this so it may change in the near future. More than likely from 3 to 2 repairs...progress all the same though ;)

Good luck with getting your phone sorted and remember just be nice, trust me it gets you further.

Exactly! As my dad always said once you raise your voice or curse you have already lost the arguement whether or not your point is stronger.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Agreed, if you making a complaint you can still make a extremely strong complaint by being civil and logical when you deal with it.

Being irate means alot of the time people just won't want to deal with you and I wouldn't blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Blue_Wolf see my post above, a repair if offered MUST be PERMANENT so therefore the three times rule is ILLEGAL no matter what a company policy is.

MC

Blue_Wolf see my post above, a repair if offered MUST be PERMANENT so therefore the three times rule is ILLEGAL no matter what a company policy is.

MC

That's what the NCA seems to suggest but the idea of the policy being 100% always illegal doesn't really fit with the fact that the policy is followed by pretty much every phone shop in the country. I find it hard to believe that these multinational corporations and their teams of lawyers didn't check with anyone before implementing an illegal policy which they make no secret of :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

MC

I'm in Belgium so what is the EU law.

Wife bought SonyEricsson camera phone,
    worked for 3 weeks,
    died,
    took battery out,
    put it back worked,
    2 days later died ie nothing would revive it,
    took it to shop,
    it was sent off for repair,
    in the end ie 3 weeks later given a new same model phone,
    phone acting up after 2 weeks,
    screen went bright blank,
    had to take battery out again,
    I think this is not normal, what are we entitled to?

Thanks JD

Hi MC hope all is well with you. I did say and quote " I agree with everyone here that its against your rights having your phone sent off 3 times". So I agree with you buddy. I don't know why the situation is the way it is but it has been like that for over 5years. O2 were the only ones to do a swap out service but now they have changed that and are now doing the same as Vodafone and Meteor.

Odd how over the 5 years they were never challenged legally except for individuals which really only benefits themselves.

MC

Advertisement