Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Build from scratch or upgrade as it breaks?

• 19-05-2009 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on starting to build my own stick controller.

Should I buy a stock fightstick now and then just get upgrade parts for it as it breaks?

was thinking about getting the Madcatz TE

Or can I source parts and build a better stick from scratch for cheaper?

Anyone have experience upgrading and building from scratch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A Madcatz TE wouldn't need to be upgraded unless something breaks (very unlikely).
    And it's all Sanwa, so it's pretty top-of-the-range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You shouldn't need to upgrade/replace parts on the TE for a long while unless there's some production error I didn't hear about like the SE's washer issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    A Madcatz TE wouldn't need to be upgraded unless something breaks (very unlikely)

Would I save much by building an equal stick myself though? Or is it priced pretty fairly?

The electronic parts (stick, buttons, PCB, wiring, quick disconnects) will run you about €90-95 alone.
    And don't forget tools needed for making the case, soldering iron, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Would I save much by building an equal stick myself though? Or is it priced pretty fairly?

I think you would defo save money by building yourself but it depends on whether or not you have the woodworking skills/time/patience/enthusiasm. Also, its not as easy to build your own xbox stick (since the xbox controller has some serious encryption). You would have to buy an xbox controller and rip out the pcb. For the ps3 it would be much easier since you can buy ready-made pcbs that are ps3 compatible (i.e. cthulhu).

High quality sanwa buttons are only about 2 euro each, a good stick is around 15 euro. Other parts like microswitches etc are cheap too. A pcb is around 40 euro. You could easily make an arcade quality stick for less than 100 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

animaX wrote: »
    High quality sanwa buttons are only about 2 euro each, a good stick is around 15 euro. Other parts like microswitches etc are cheap too. A pcb is around 40 euro. You could easily make an arcade quality stick for less than 100 euro.

Don't have to worry about the encryption as I play SFIV on the PS3 and will probably move over to the PC once it gets released.

I also have all the electronic tools needed for this and am fairly good with wood working.

I really don't know what I should be looking for though in building it and how to choose between the various components (reminds me of when I built my first PC :confused:)

I know in the PC building&upgrades forum you could ask for recommended PC builds which I used to help out with. Could someone give me a recommended stick build?

Say from this site:
    http://www.arcadeshop.de/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

The best site for info is shoryuken.com, check out the tech talk subforum.

Also, slagcoin is a great site for guides on the actual building process. The best parts are sanwa/seimetsu so if you get those you can't go too far wrong.

As for a pcb, you could try a cthulhu board or if you have an old six-axis lying around there is a solderless axis-dapter

Normal stick build:
    6-8 Sanwa OBSF-30 (I'd use 7 myself, 4 top + 3 bottom)
    3 Sanwa OBSF-24
    Sanwa JLF-H joystick harness (or Seimitsu equivalent)
    Sanwa JLF joystick

PCBs: (source: This thread)
    Cthulhu/MC Ctulhu
    OR
    SixAxis + AXISdapter

Alternative components:
    Seimitsu PS-14 buttons (slightly stiffer than Sanwa)
    Seimitsu LS-56 joystick (comes with harness)
    Myoungshin Fanta stick (Korean, check this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

KO Kikis advice is sound :cool:

You might want to check out slag coin as well. <Link>

Advertisement