Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Roundabout on old tuam Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

this I'd like to see too. I can't seem to grasp how it improves flow but if you did want to get onto the motorway it improves it. bit chaotic tbh :P

It will just look like a standard four exit roundabout with the fourth exit going straight into the pharmaplatz site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alke

I've seen 2 crashs at that junction and another further up at the elan/collins garage juntion. They need to do somthing on that road.

alke wrote: »
    I've seen 2 crashs at that junction and another further up at the elan/collins garage juntion. They need to do somthing on that road.

What, since the roadworks started or before? From what I understand, the road is being rebuilt all the way to the Athlone springs hotel junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Super Valu Junction is the one that needs a roundabout badly. And a footpath. And lights for the km or so between there and Elan. Madness building all the development out that area (River Village, Bealnamulla etc) without any night-time walking access.

Hard enough to fill the houses out there without the pre-requisite of a car for most.

I dont think that any work will be carried out any further west than the Elan factory TBH. As soon as the inter-urban junctions are out of sight, the rest can swivel (government policy :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

eh before, I didn't realise they had started on that junction yet, I thought they were just doing the one over the bridge from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Is this new roundabout going at the junction to bring you back onto the east-bound lane of the DC? Or is there somewhere else its going?

Is this new roundabout going at the junction to bring you back onto the east-bound lane of the DC? Or is there somewhere else its going?
    Yes it's the easthound exit/entry for the M6, the other leg will go into pharmaplatz.

has anyone ever driven from bealnamulla to town at night? there are no streetlights, people out walking on the verge, then as you get to collins garage there is a floodlight pointing straight at you. it's blinding, they should be told to dip it or something. you wouldn't see someone crossing the road because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FUBARED

It will just look like a standard four exit roundabout with the fourth exit going straight into the pharmaplatz site.

Nope. Think the roundabout in question in the article will be at the junction of River village entrance and the old Tuam Rd. Massive development planned for the fields on the left where the house burned down. Also includes part of a new road planned from this junction back around to the roscommon road.

See the following link :

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/planning/AthloneLAP/A4-08%20Local%20Linkage%20Options%20Final.jpg

If you look at where the new proposed roads meet up with the old and new tuam roads and imagine another exit into River Village then this is the site of your proposed 5/4 exit roundabout.

Check out this also:

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?File_number=09102&LASiteID=0

• Advertisement

FUBARED wrote: »
    Nope. Think the roundabout in question in the article will be at the junction of River village entrance and the old Tuam Rd. Massive development planned for the fields on the left where the house burned down. Also includes part of a new road planned from this junction back around to the roscommon road.

See the following link :

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/planning/AthloneLAP/A4-08%20Local%20Linkage%20Options%20Final.jpg

If you look at where the new proposed roads meet up with the old and new tuam roads and imagine another exit into River Village then this is the site of your proposed 5/4 exit roundabout.

Check out this also:

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?File_number=09102&LASiteID=0

oops :o

Well that explains why the rest of that road is in bits, waiting for a decision on these new link roads.

Is there really a need for a new road from the Roscommon road to the Tuam one? Can't see a massive need for it myself considering the DC is perfectly good for the trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Is there really a need for a new road from the Roscommon road to the Tuam one? Can't see a massive need for it myself considering the DC is perfectly good for the trip

When they make the DC into a motorway, they'll want to avoid a heap of traffic using it for just one junction.

Zube wrote: »
    When they make the DC into a motorway, they'll want to avoid a heap of traffic using it for just one junction.
    With the redesignation imminant(sp?) they've left it a bit late to build it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

With the redesignation imminant(sp?) they've left it a bit late to build it!

Redesignation imminent? When was this announced? Thought it still being debated.

While a Motorway would be more useful for likes of myself who traverse the whole bypass, I dont think its much use for the whole town.

But thats another thread i guess

Redesignation imminent? When was this announced? Thought it still being debated.

While a Motorway would be more useful for likes of myself who traverse the whole bypass, I dont think its much use for the whole town.

But thats another thread i guess

I should have said the "announcement" was imminent..

Still though, is there a need to spend millions building a new road when the one thats there can do the job? Its not as if there's a demand of thousands of cars everyday. Surely the DC/MW can handle it, especially since its already doing so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FUBARED

Surely the DC/MW can handle it, especially since its already doing so

And what about all the tractors / learners/ Grannys who want to travel at 35mph etc who currently use the dual carrageway to get from Roscommon rd to Monksland. They will, by law, be banned from using the motorway?

Don't thnk the purpose of the new motorway is to be a link road between roscommon and monksland. That's the job of a local access road.

Advertisement