Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Spur Hill Cork. Slow Upload/Interference Issues.

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Been having problems with by breeze antenna the past few weeks, upload speed terrible.On upload tests im normally getting between 0.15Mbps and 0.3Mbps but sometimes it's higher (and sometimes the upload test dosen't work at all) (As opposed to the 4Mbps im paying for)

Just had the guys out from IBB and they replaced the radio.. exact same problem still exists. I have a perfect LOS and 4 bars reception., Im only about a mile from the mast.

And I just heard that a few other people in the area are having similar problems.
    The conclusion that was reached is that there is something interfering with my radio and/or the mast. I was told there has been no users added to the mast for a long while so this isn't due to overselling or bandwitdh problems.

So my question.. does anyone know of anything installed recently in the area that could be interfering with the alvarion radio's? (operating at ~5.4Ghz iirc)
    Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Because I really really do NOT want to have to get eircom broadband, being about 5-6 miles from the exchange where id imagine all the wires are damn old.. neighbours have 2mb and it's painful.. im not even sure their line can properly handle 1mb..

Edit: Forgot to mention, im also getting intermittent packet loss. A few nights ago I pinged the mast (gateway) for about half an hour and ended up with 15% loss.. today it's not as bad but it changes rapidly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Redisle wrote: »
    Been having problems with by breeze antenna the past few weeks, upload speed terrible.On upload tests im normally getting between 0.15Mbps and 0.3Mbps but sometimes it's higher (and sometimes the upload test dosen't work at all) (As opposed to the 4Mbps im paying for)

Just had the guys out from IBB and they replaced the radio.. exact same problem still exists. I have a perfect LOS and 4 bars reception., Im only about a mile from the mast.

And I just heard that a few other people in the area are having similar problems.
    The conclusion that was reached is that there is something interfering with my radio and/or the mast. I was told there has been no users added to the mast for a long while so this isn't due to overselling or bandwitdh problems.

So my question.. does anyone know of anything installed recently in the area that could be interfering with the alvarion radio's? (operating at ~5.4Ghz iirc)
    Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Because I really really do NOT want to have to get eircom broadband, being about 5-6 miles from the exchange where id imagine all the wires are damn old.. neighbours have 2mb and it's painful.. im not even sure their line can properly handle 1mb..

Edit: Forgot to mention, im also getting intermittent packet loss. A few nights ago I pinged the mast (gateway) for about half an hour and ended up with 15% loss.. today it's not as bad but it changes rapidly.

Im pretty sure their AP's run in the 3.65GHz licensed spectrum and their backhauls are in the licensed spectrum also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I thought they were in the 5Ghz range. This looks like the kit they use and it is it's namesake.. http://www.alvarion.com/products/breezeaccessvl/
    Poe box and radio pictured there are identical to the kit installed here.
    I always assumed that they were in the 5 range because of that link, there are other similar units on the alvarion site but that one is the closest match (probably not the best way to figure out what frequency they are operating at though)

Anyway, does anyone know what could be causing this?

And if this dosen't sort itself out do I have any other options? I know I can't get digiweb, asked the guy if he could see farmers cross from the roof but no such luck (+ I had a los test done before iirc)
    IBB rang earlier offering to switch me to DSL.. but of course I started explaining why that wasn't ideal..

Isn't it strange that my download and ping are mostly fine?

477179964.png

The upload is the problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

See Pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Who is doing the interfering Bushy ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Sorry , was just pm about the frequencies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I had similar symptoms to you off the Wicklow Kilpoolehill mast - download speeds were OK but upload next to useless and loads of packet loss. At points up to 50% to the mast itself. Pings to the mast over 150ms... I rang and argued with at least 2 people and got told contention, my router, all sorts. But eventually got a guy who talked me through all sorts of tests he wanted me to do, spent about an hour on the phone going through stuff and he was eventually convinced the problem was with their equipment somewhere. Anyway they sent an engineer out who swapped the equipment and moved the installation. He said the original install was very poor and was using the wrong equipment and in the wrong place on the house. The book says it was "B max" and he swapped it to VL5.4. Since then I've never had any real problems. They have their bad days but things tend to sort themselves out.

I vaguely remember in the days that IBB were a hot topic on this board that there were different kinds of equipment for breeze, typically the better VL5.4 ones going to business customers. Check in the booklet to see what they claimed you have.

I dont think it's particularly relevant to you though if others in your area are having the same problems but it's worrying if the usefulness of your connection depends on the competency of the install team as I assume the original lot didn't think their job was poor with poor equipment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ok, It's defo BreezeACCESS VL so therefore it's 5.4Ghz (Checked sticker with camera)

BigMoose I don't think it's a bad installation on my side, I actually had to get the POE box replaced before because water got it but it is in a much better place now, the lads said the existing anteanna had 4 bars reception and full los.. they replaced it just in case but same results with both.

I was just reading that airport radar's operate in the 5Ghz band.. is it possible that the new radar station at Cork Airport could be interfering? (I am very near the airport as the crow flies and always get light aircraft flying overhead)

Advertisement