Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fear of the bath

Options
  • 19-05-2009 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

My two and a half year old used to enjoy baths but since I slipped and fell in the bath she freaks out at bath time and she has a real fear of it. She screams and sobs her heart out at bath time. She comes up with many reasons for not having a bath now such as she is tired and wants to go to sleep etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for helping her overcome this fear?

- shower is not an option as she hates that too

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My little boy went through a stage of hating the bath as well, he loves it now thankfully...

what I did was get an extra long bath mat, use two standard ones if necessary, so he felt safe and couldn't slip in it. I also used to put only about an inch or so of water in the bottom as well, that combined with a new bath time only toy really did the trick.

Now my only trouble is getting him out of the bath.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Poor little thing.

We were on holidays once and when our youngest (was around 18 months at the time) saw DW swimming and splashing about in the pool, she freaked out. As far as she was concerned, DW was distressed and the splashing about maybe led her believe DW was in trouble.

It obviously impacts them deeply if they witness or perceive that their mummy is in distress... poor little things.

I wouldn't push her into anything or rush anything.

Our little one hated having her hair washed... so I let her wash mine! That was fun... and wet! IT worked a treat though, she had no problem letting me wash hers after. Could you try something similar like getting into the bath with her? You need to try and replace the negative experience she has of the bath with something positive. You could get into the bath and look like you're having lots of fun and perhaps she's want to come in too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

It makes sense that she would be afraid, when you think of it. One of the people she loves and relies on most in the world was "hurt" by the bath, thats a big fright for a little one :(

I agree with above posters and think that you getting in with her will probably be the best option for now, along with a new toy and make a big deal of new safe bath mats etc. Reassurance and patience will go a long way too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

what worked for me when little fella was around that age, was getting into "my" bath, then he would want to jump in! Worked a treat, but for some reason he doesnt like baths anymore. ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

... and it was great fun! We'd always get up to high jinks. I'd suggest you try some of the following if you havent tried them already..

- get a bath mat & put it in & explain that 'mammy cant slip in the bath anymore now'

- Have a clear, simple , direct conversation with your child. At 2 & a half they understand much more than they can actually say. They will rarely state that they are afraid of something, but if you ask they may nod their head for example. Reassure them that its OK, that baths are safe as long as you take care, etc.

- Have this conversation when bathing is not on the agenda! Pick a spot/time when your child is relaxed & there is no question of them needing a bath soon. Repeat the conversation a few times over a couple of days. This gives the idea time to sink in. Try get them to agree that they will have a bath 'on Saturday', give them notice, w/o causing them anxiety.

- Have a bath yourself & show your child that you are not afraid of it. Invite them in.

- Make it as much fun as you can,if it makes a mess so what. When my kids got to the stage that I didnt bath with them anymore I just painted the bathroom ceiling ( we, uhh used to have squirting competitions w/the radox bottles to see who could get the ceiling...I was as messy as they were...oh, happy days)

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

My little one developed a fear of the bath when she was around 2 and a half. For some odd reason she would not sit down and just went nuts when any attempt to sit her down was made. It was v.stressful because of the distress that she expressed.

I found that by giving my child some kind of control at bathtime helped a lot. These steps helped 'in my case' but it took a small bit of patience.

1. I gave her the job of putting bubble bath in, then she put in some toys.
    2. I used the toys in the bath to 'talk to her' and they asked her to come in and play.
    3. I reassured her that she could stand in the bath and didn't have to sit down at any time. She seemed to relax a bit by knowing that she didn't have to sit down.
    4. After awhile and a bit of splashing etc she eventually sat down and forgot all about the fear.

It turned out that because of her sensitive skin and a rash on her vulva and bum, the soapy water stung her and completely turned her off bathing. It seems like such a small thing to develop such a reaction over but at 2 and a half yrs old it must be have been like torture to have no control and have to be 'forced to endure' this process of bathing.

Since OP fell in the bath maybe she shrieked out and scared the little one and instilled a fear which is still there? What I would do in this case if that happened to me would be.

1. Do steps 1 and 2 above.
    2. Tell the child that you will keep hold of her in the bath 'ask her if this is ok as well' i.e. use constant reassurance without refering to the 'incident'.
    3. Constantly reasure whilst slightly distracting her with the toys 'talking to her'.
    4. Back off gradually i.e. go from holding her with two hands securely to holding her with one hand securely whilst still using 'toy' distractions.
    5. Sit back and read your favourite magazine or paper while the little one enjoys bath?

Ps. I was going to also suggest that the OP could pretend to fall in the bath and make a comedy out of it i.e. pretend to fall in a silly way and then kind of flop around in a careful way and then make it look like play by laughing and spirting water out of the mouth etc. But maybe that would only encourage the child to copy and fall and hurt themselves for real?

If it was done right then it could alleviate the fear from the initial encounter? I would try this myself if I was in the same situation but I'd be v.careful to do it in such a way as to dilute the fear and not encourage the child to take a dive in the bath;)

If all else fails... they will get over it and your next problem will be 'How can I get my child out of the bath'?

Advertisement