Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bin charges and collection companies

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

have any of u guys used panda for recycling in the fingal area?
    they are cheaper than the council...282 yearly for all 3 bins with no bin tags..

im about to change over to this panda crowd,from the council to save a few quid..but was wondering if anyone is using them and if they have had any hassle with them.

or if anyone has any other methods of waste removal?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You're only going to save money if you already put your bins out every week. If you only put them out every so often it can actually be more expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not sure if my sums are right here, but fingal charge €110 a year, plus €8.00 for a black bin lift (std. bin)
    Therefore:
    If you put out your black bin every 2 weeks, thats €8.00 * 26 = €208 + annual charge €110 = €318 per year.
    If you put out your black bin every 4 weeks, thats €8.00 * 13 = €104 + annual charge €110 = €217per year.

So, whether Panda is cheaper is dependent upon your own ability to recycle and keep black bin lifts to a minimum.

EDIT: Sums corrected, hope fully right this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

fingal charge 8euro per tag,not 8.50 so it works out a little cheaper than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

greatgoal wrote: »
    fingal charge 8euro per tag,not 8.50 so it works out a little cheaper than that.

OK, corrected so!

No doubt given how greedy they've become, Fingal will up it to €10 in the near future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

yeah true,but i hear panda have been sending out letters in the north county advising customers of an increase from 23.50 to 35.00euro per month.

• Advertisement

No suprise really. Lets hope the fines for littering increase in line with the charges so that it doesnt become too attractive to just dump your bins down some back road.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Gaspode wrote: »
    No suprise really. Lets hope the fines for littering increase in line with the charges so that it doesnt become too attractive to just dump your bins down some back road.

More to the point, let's see some enforcement of the rules so that people don't get away with illegal dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

I changed to City Bin Co last month & happy wiht the service so far. They have a number of options, I went for the pay by lift

This basically means I pay €6.50 every time the black bin is lifted & green bin is free. Both are collected fortnightly. So if you put your black bin out every 2 weeks the total annual cost is €169 a year, but obvously less if you dont put it out that often.

They also have a handy service that texts you the night before reminding you what bin to put out.

You would probably have to check what areas they cover in D.15 to see if you are covered. We didn't get any Panda offer in our area, but it does look like good value.

After comparing costs, I came to the conclusion that the Council service is the most expensive (based on my usage)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gaspode wrote: »
    Lets hope the fines for littering increase in line with the charges so that it doesnt become too attractive to just dump your bins down some back road.
    The fine is 150 euro - more than a speeding fine!
    PauloMN wrote: »
    More to the point, let's see some enforcement of the rules so that people don't get away with illegal dumping.
    If you see any illegal dumping please report it. FCC act on all my littering reports (and I've made a lot).

daymobrew wrote: »
    The fine is 150 euro - more than a speeding fine! If you see any illegal dumping please report it. FCC act on all my littering reports (and I've made a lot).

€150 is still a bit low imho.

I have also reported any dumping I see, and again FCC have acted swiftly on it. I know in a many of the cases they were successful in tracking down the owners of the rubbish and fining them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PauloMN wrote: »
    When the FCC annual charge was announced I wrote to PJ Howell, Director of Environment at FCC, suggesting increasing the bin tag price instead of an annual charge.

He replied saying that to generate the required revenue, they would have to increase the tag price to 14 euro. The EPA advised them that such an increase would lead to an increase in illegal dumping.

So, FCC took the easy option - charge everyone instead of rewarding those that generate less waste. :rolleyes:
    It's like speed ramps - punish everyone instead of increasing enforcement to punish the guilty. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 flame123

daymobrew wrote: »
    When the FCC annual charge was announced I wrote to PJ Howell, Director of Environment at FCC, suggesting increasing the bin tag price instead of an annual charge.

He replied saying that to generate the required revenue, they would have to increase the tag price to 14 euro. The EPA advised them that such an increase would lead to an increase in illegal dumping.

So, FCC took the easy option - charge everyone instead of rewarding those that generate less waste. :rolleyes:
    It's like speed ramps - punish everyone instead of increasing enforcement to punish the guilty. :mad:

And I'll bet that your still with FCC .... Irish people generally desreve what they get and unless you change to a different provider you will always get what you deserve

We changed over to the City Bin Co and its saved us a lot compared with FCC, looking at our road ( carpenterstown ) I'd say about a quarter of people have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

flame123 wrote: »
    And I'll bet that your still with FCC .... Irish people generally desreve what they get and unless you change to a different provider you will always get what you deserve

We changed over to the City Bin Co and its saved us a lot compared with FCC, looking at our road ( carpenterstown ) I'd say about a quarter of people have changed.

If you actually read any of the above posts you'll see that unless you put your bin out practically every week it's cheaper to stay with Fingal CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

Jip wrote: »
    If you actually read any of the above posts you'll see that unless you put your bin out practically every week it's cheaper to stay with Fingal CC.
    agreed,it took a while to get used to fingals new collection process.T.B.H. i wouldn't change over to anyone else. i know we pay the annual €110 then pay €8 per collection when ever it suits us to put out the bin. also fingal at the moment dont charge per weight so sometimes i would stand on the bin to get as much as i can into it. far better than paying 4,5,600 euro per year or what ever it costs.i used to live in meath sometime back and we were changed an annual rate of lets say €500 per year no matter how many times our bin was collected whether it be once a week,or once a month.
    so if i have 18 collections per year of my black bin it only costs €144 + €110 for the brown and green giving a grad total of €254 of which we're getting some sort of tax relief.

Advertisement