Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trawmore C&C

• 19-05-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hello there, taking the plunge with a first post and first C&C (long time lurker around here...) :)

BF1E9062578F40E1845E0191B98F50AD.jpg
    Achill Island a couple of weeks back.

Taken with a Nikon D300, Sigma 18-200 mm lens, and a polarizer (I think. That, or with a Cokin P121 grad ND)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Great composition and colours. I like the reflection on the water and the low-lying clouds. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Welcome to the plunge pool!
    That shot is Good.... It's a place l love, love, love.
    Do you have any more pics or a Flickr where we can see your images.

Welcome-BlueSmiley.gif

Linda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'd say you used the polariser as it's very dark in the top right corner.
    I think if you cropped it just above the stones in the bottom right as well it would be better and bring down the horizon line to the "thirds" line as there is prob a little too much space in the foreground. Very nice shot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hey! Welcome aboard,

Really nice image. Well done.

In terms of comments and suggestions (only an opinion) - It is an image of two halves really by which I mean it is kinda split down the middle 50/50(ish) land and sea. There's nothing particularly wrong with that but if re-shooting such a scene again, aim for a 80 / 20 split or a 20 / 80 split or a 60 / 40 or 40 / 60 ie. taking the scene out of a perfect balancing position.

This can yield a more visually appealing composition. Its all subjective though and I'd try any of the above in addition to what you are naturally drawn to. I'd also suggest trying to shoot from different perspectives - shooting from a low vantage point, quite literally getting down to ground / beach level can yield some very creative shots particularly with shallow depth of fields - this is where your D300's live view can be your friend (saves on wet knees!).

You have ND grad - at a guess i'd have thought that's what influenced the darkened sky. In theory, the polariser would have gotten rid of reflections but could be wrong here. If anything the filters (whichever was used) darkening of the image from top to bottom has slightly adversely effected those clouds - don't know what the original scene looked like but if they could have been all white and fluffy then the contrast against the sky would have been better and have nicely matched the highlights in the white horses which you've nicely captured. Then again if they were grey, then they were grey and not much to do about it.

Again, well done - a nice image and a great first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Hi all, thanks for the replies and the (very valid) suggestions!
    It's all coming back to me now - I did crop the image, because I had the edges of the filter holder darkening the corners of the shot :mad: Don't think filter holder + UV filter is a good idea, because I always would have to zoom a tad to get a free view without dark corners.
    So, to clarify, this is shot with a Cokin P121 grad ND :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

l pearse wrote: »
    Do you have any more pics or a Flickr where we can see your images.

More images, for now, are here: http://realta-eireann.deviantart.com

Advertisement