Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banana Bread more crumbly?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi I often make lovely banana bread using the recipe below. It's really simple and tastes delicious but the consistency can be a bit moist and chewy. I personally like this but I know others may prefer a drier /more crumbly consistency.

Leaving it longer in the oven just tends to burn the outside so I'm thinking it's more likely that I need to modify the amounts in the ingredients. So should I add more or less flour??? Or has anyone any suggestions please?

2 very ripe bananas
    2 tsp soft butter
    (mix together)
    8 oz sugar
    12 oz flour
    65g chopped nuts

Bake at 190 deg for approx 45 mins. Check middle with toothpick (if it comes out clean it's done!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips. This will create the shorter texture you're looking for. And I was going to suggest using less liquid, but there's none listed in your recipe? Also, baking at 170°c for 1 hour should dry it out a bit more: the longer and lower you bake something, the crisper/drier it becomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Thanks a million, I'll give those suggestions a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

That seems VERY dry as it is.

My recipe uses a cup of oil and 3 tbsp of orange juice. Comes out moist just the way everyone likes it.

If they want dry they can eat biscuits. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i usually just cover it with tin foil and leave it in for a couple of minutes extra then u dont have to worry about messing around with the ingrediants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 PinkLady001

Tupins wrote: »

2 very ripe bananas
    2 tsp soft butter
    (mix together)
    8 oz sugar
    12 oz flour
    65g chopped nuts

Bake at 190 deg for approx 45 mins. Check middle with toothpick (if it comes out clean it's done!)

Hi,

I have been looking a nice handy receipe for Banana Bread.
    Should there be liquid in the ingredients above?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

No, in fact you'll find that when you mash up the ripe bananas they are quite liquidy. You should use very ripe bananas only - the ones going brown on the outside are best as they are lovely and sweet and juicy. This is in the fact the wet ingredients in itself.

When you add in the rest of the ingredients the mixture will be quite sticky but that's how it's supposed to be.

Let me know how you get on with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 PinkLady001

Great, thanks for that. Might give it a try this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I made banana bread last weekend using the following recepie;

Ingredients
    285g/10oz plain flour
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    ½ tsp salt
    110g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
    225g/8oz caster sugar
    2 free-range eggs
    4 ripe bananas, mashed
    85ml/3fl oz buttermilk (or normal milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
    2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
    3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
    4. Add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture.
    5. Grease a 20cm x 12.5cm/8in x 5in loaf tin and pour the cake mixture into the tin.
    6. Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
    7. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.

I was trés tasty! Does anone have any recommendations on how I can improve the above? I've already tried wall nuts.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

just thought i'd add my recipe, as i see none of the others have any chocolate chips! i've just made two [bringing one in for everyone at work tomorrow] and it's yummmmy!

8oz self raising flour
    1/2 tsp of cinnamon
    4oz butter
    3 ripe bananas mashed up
    4oz chopped walnuts
    4oz chocolate chips
    5oz caster sugar
    2 eggs

put the flour and cinnamon in a bowl, add the butter and rub it in until you get a breadcrumb-like texture.
    mash the bananas and add them to the mixture along with the rest of the ingredients. mix well with a spoon and pour into tin. bake on 170 degrees fan over for around 45-50 minutes.

so easy!i like things you can bake using just one bowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I make the Avoca book 1 banana bread recipe..well a version of it.

I use 2 bananas instead of 4 so it's not as bananay as some but works.
    You use sunflower oil, no butter and I throw in chocolate chips instead of pecans but pecans are so nummy in it too.

I find it's better left over night or even 2 nights let it dry out a little bit and it's fairly crumbly, adding more than 2 bananas will make it more moist but 2 is grand for a more bready texture.

I love the recipe because I just throw all the ingredients (sieve flour etc.) into the mixer and let it do the work. Takes 5 mins to make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement