Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for somewhere to rent, any general advice??

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi,

I'm in my mid-twenties and will soon be looking for a place to rent for the first time (yes I was a bit of a mammy's girl, stayed at home all the way through college!!)

I'm a bit clueless about the whole thing, so it would be great if anyone could give me some general advice about the whole thing. For example, is there anything I should look out for or any particular questions I should ask when viewing the places? Would I be expected to have a deposit with me there and then, and how much would it usually be? What's the story with bills - are the usually included in the rent, and if not, how much would they usually be each month (approximately!)? I'd need somewhere where my boyfriend could occasionally stay over (once a month at most, for just a night) - should I bring up stuff like that when I'm viewing, or is that pretty acceptable and not something that you need to ask? And do you agree a fixed time you're going to rent for in advance? Anything else I need to know?

Told ya I was clueless :rolleyes: Sorry for all the questions!! But I'd really appreciate any help ye could give me!!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

You sound like me :) Im going looking at a house tomorrow:D
    as regards rent price and bills being extra i'd ask all that on viewing as you dont wanna end up paying more than you had budgeted for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Make a check list of everything you seek in what will be your home.

A clipboard looks so efficient:)

YOU are the client so YOu are in charge here.

Yes, ask re bills; that should be all on the lease. Also re water supply; hot water, heating etc, refuse collection.

Check for damp; especially under the sink and in the bathroom. Do not be afraid to challenge on that.

Ask re maintenance also.

Take photos and a full inventory if one is not given to you before you sign anything.Especially if there is any damage already there.

If it is with an agent, the paperwork tends to be easier; make sure the tenancy is registered with PTRB; has to be in law; but tenants are still protected anyways.

The Threshold site has some very good info.

http://www.threshold.ie/

and they are there to advise also.

A good way to get some ideas re rentals and prices is the daft ie website.

Writing this after some bad experiences so lessons learned now!

Good luck and enjoy the search. Blessings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

Thanks for the replies so far! Can I ask also - is it acceptable to try and bargain down the advertised price a bit? Not that I'm very good at that kind of thing unfortunately ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes, use evidence of cheaper properties in the area as backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 holyjoe

sorella wrote: »
    Make a check list of everything you seek in what will be your home.

A clipboard looks so efficient:)

YOU are the client so YOu are in charge here.

Yes, ask re bills; that should be all on the lease. Also re water supply; hot water, heating etc, refuse collection.

Check for damp; especially under the sink and in the bathroom. Do not be afraid to challenge on that.

Ask re maintenance also.

Take photos and a full inventory if one is not given to you before you sign anything.Especially if there is any damage already there.

If it is with an agent, the paperwork tends to be easier; make sure the tenancy is registered with PTRB; has to be in law; but tenants are still protected anyways.

The Threshold site has some very good info.

http://www.threshold.ie/

and they are there to advise also.

A good way to get some ideas re rentals and prices is the daft ie website.

Writing this after some bad experiences so lessons learned now!

Good luck and enjoy the search. Blessings

wait a minute, thats all advise if the OP is leasing a house/apt by themselves.

I coud be wrong but it Sounds like the Op is just looking for a room in a houseshare?

maybe the OP can clear that up?

• Advertisement

holyjoe wrote: »
    wait a minute, thats all advise if the OP is leasing a house/apt by themselves.

I coud be wrong but it Sounds like the Op is just looking for a room in a houseshare?

maybe the OP can clear that up?

Yup just looking for houseshare, sorry if that was unclear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 holyjoe

things to ask
    1) whos living in the house, what they do, where they from etc,
    2) what are the bills and how much are they per month
    3) most importantly, just try have a general conversation with the people and see how you feel about them,do they seem ok, would you fit in etc.. no point in finding a perfect room if the people there are total wierdos and you end up miserable.

no you would not be exoected to have a deposit there and then,
    generally you just go see the place,if they like you and you
    want to move in they will contact you afterward and you then arrange to pay the deposit.

bills are not usually included in the rent, these are seperate, theres usually heating|(gas or oil), esb, tv, and possiblly broadband and refuse charges.
    Theres no way to estimate these, every house is different so you just have to ask the people living there.

regarding your boyfriend, if it honestly is only once a month or even once a week i probally would not mention as its not a big deal. but if it 2 - 3 times a week or more then yes its better to discuss that and gauge how they feel about it.

things to ask
    1) whos living in the house, what they do, where they from etc,
    2) what are the bills and how much are they per month
    3) most importantly, just try have a general conversation with the people and see how you feel about them,do they seem ok, would you fit in etc.. no point in finding a perfect room if the people there are total wierdos and you end up miserable.

Thanks for that! It's good to know I can ask about stuff like that, I'd have been afraid that it would come across as nosy or something, but I'd like to know something about who I'd be living with!!
    regarding your boyfriend, if it honestly is only once a month or even once a week i probally would not mention as its not a big deal. but if it 2 - 3 times a week or more then yes its better to discuss that and gauge how they feel about it.

Yeah he doesn't even live in this country so once a month for one night would be the absolute maximum, once every couple of months would probably be more realistic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yes

Download www.property-bee.com toolbar for Mozilla so you can see the history of each entry in Daft.

Also check out www.irishpropertywatch.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

definetly find out as much as you can about the people living there,i lived with a complete nutter for 9 months,i realise now it was a bad idea, when i looked at the place it was a nice big room for a good price and i just took it straight away, it turned out to be a nightmare!

theres plenty of places to choose from nowadays so dont be forced into anything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement