Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Martin to be sacked er "resign"

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

No not that Michael Martin.

The Speaker of the House of Commons is standing down, with a statement due at 2.30 this afternoon. And why? Cos he was seen as a bulwark for the grubby and unsustainable status quo.

I'm trying to imagine a comparible moment ever occurring here....I can't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

Following Seán Doherty's revelations on Nighthawks about Charles J. Haughey's role in the wiretapping of Irish Journalists in the 1980s the Taoiseach announced his "retirement" in January 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There was the "thundering disgrace, unfairly levelled against Cearbhall O Dalaigh by the Minister for Defence Paddy Donegan in 1976, when he referred the anti-terrorism law to the Supreme Court. Donegan also tried to resign but Cosgrave refused. And then there was Malcom McArthur and the AG otherwise known as GUBU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ray Burke resigned too, as did Michael Lowry.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I should have been clearer - its not about resignations under pressure per se, its about the use of power to maintain the unacceptable status quo and then being forced out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

Phil Hogan resigned as Minister with responsibility for the OPW in 1995 when his office mistakenly faxed information regarding the budget to the media before the embargo had lapsed. He's probably the only Minister ever to have taken responsibility for a mistake in his office.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I think I should have been clearer - its not about resignations under pressure per se, its about the use of power to maintain the unacceptable status quo and then being forced out.

Well there were a number of MP's that tried to block the original FOI request along with Martin, and they're still members of their parties, and haven't resigned their seats.......He might be 'guilty', but he's really just the most convenient one to chuck to the lions at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm trying to imagine a comparible moment ever occurring here....I can't.

Ivor Calily(sp?) no?

nesf wrote: »
    Ivor Calily(sp?) no?

Thats another one, aye. ('Callely' is the sp I think). He's now doing the country proud in the Seanad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He stayed for at least a year though after first being accused of abuse of expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

No not that Michael Martin.

That's a pity ;)!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The last person i recall being executed for the sins of other people was the old son of god himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Michael Martin Has had to step in the furore over MPs expenses
    Personally i think he was made a scapegoat. It was the MPs who should have been punished. Getting him to resign is to me a bit liking a burglar asking a policeman to resign for not catching him committing a burglary!

I am not defending him or saying hes right but it seems to me that the political partys should have have looked at themselves first

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

If only our Micheal Martin did the same.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bob Z wrote: »
    Personally i think he was made a scapegoat. It was the MPs who should have been punished. Getting him to resign is to me a bit liking a burglar asking a policeman to resign for not catching him committing a burglary!

I am not defending him or saying hes right but it seems to me that the political partys should have have looked at themselves first

Pretty sure he's also an MP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Bob Z wrote: »

In no way was he made a scapegoat. He was the central figure in trying to block the FOI request for the information and even sent in the police to find the so-called whistleblower, AFTER the High Court had ruled that his blocking of the info was illegal.

He should more than resign, he should be punished for trying to block the workings of the legal system.

The MP's who offered their regret and those that replied with "hear, hear"'s are a disgrace in supporting such behaviour.

OP, I'm still waiting for something like that to happen here. Sure even with the Anglo scheme, it was weeks before the Guards got a look-in to see if their was anything illegal going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He was incompetent at his job and some will say he actively connived to keep the free for all expenses policy from becoming public

Good riddance

Advertisement