Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ch... Ch... Ch...Changes! (or... not, as the case may be)

Options
  • 19-05-2009 12:54pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've been meaning to bring people up to date for some time but tbh, nothing we've been doing affects the user population just yet so I prioritised things above it for simple pragmatism. I am but one man.

So, where were we when we last talked? We've hired a few people, Dav and Darragh have joined the office to help with the stuff I wouldnt expect mods or admins to do. (the new FAQ is Dav's work for example, have a gander at it).

We've hired IRLConor to allow Ross to spend sometime outside occasionally and to help build a solid platform for the future.

I renamed Smods to Admins because thats what they were being anyway and it inordinately annoys me when something is "a rose by any other name".
    I tend to slap a label which reads "<-- ROSE." on such things.
    We also gave them the tools to do what they need to do because all that was happening is that they were asking the old admins to do things, and we'd do them. Eventually. Thats inefficient and needed fixing. So I fixed it.

I've had a meeting with Adverts Moderators to discuss the future of Adverts which is massively in flux right now. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that Adverts needs a plan and a big "fix". If I told you anything else, I'd have to come back tomorrow and tell you something different most likely.
    When I have a solid answer I'll let you know.

We're going through a process of trying to streamline the mods work, get a list of guidelines for posters and agree a consensus on how mods should mod.
    More of that shortly.

Now, there is an underlying current of wanting to be kept in the loop around here and I think you'd be hard pushed to find someone who is MORE about consultation and consensus then I am. That doesnt mean I need to consult everyone about every change. When we created non-admin "mods" (waay back when) there were howls of indignation. We did it anyway. In fact we've quite a history of "just doing things" so I dont think thats changed at all.

I've just created non-founder "admins". The rationale is *exactly* the same as when we created non-founder "mods". The site needs the extra "bandwidth" of hands and eyes. We're lucky to have people who are willing to step up, just like the mods.

We now have three flavour of admins.
    "founders", the original 5...
    "community", those who were previously called Smods.
    "ambassador" those who are tasked with real world stuff and jobs that are too much like "work" to ask others to do (too long, too boring, too unpleasant etc).

So thats what has happened, but as you can see, not actually a lot has "happened". I've renamed some stuff, I've talked to a LOT of people about what-it-is-that-they-do-for-us, and I've fixed a few things that were blatantly broken.

The major thing is where I'm going with this. I'm setting up a structure that is self sustaining and self powering for the next "jump". When we appointed "mods" we exploded past the incumbent "communties" who were run by their founders, founders who couldnt let go of the steering wheel and let the community drive itself.

I'm hoping this is the next logical step. Removing the admin bottleneck to an extent. Creating a technical platform that doesnt creak alarmingly occasionally.

My intent is that in 2 years we'll have 10 times the traffic here on 2-3 times the number of forums. That Boards will mature (painfully, I'm sure) into the platform for Ireland. (Take a look at the thread in AH about the hospital closures to see a hint of that). We cant do that without some structure and certainly not with just 5 admins.

Boards LTD is going to become the best *platform* for that to happen on, but Boards.ie is being handed to the people who genuinely make it go.

Where it "goes" ... I've only some visions of that... its now, quite literally, not completely in my hands any longer. Thats pretty scary, but also exciting. :)

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Do paid staff have an offic where they work under one roof, or do they work from home in their underpants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

DeV, thanks.

Snypey, stop fapping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

snyper wrote: »
    Do paid staff have an offic where they work under one roof, or do they work from home in their underpants?
    There's an office. Having visited once, it all looks very officy and professional.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DeVore wrote: »
    My intent is that in 2 years we'll have 10 times the traffic here on 2-3 times the number of forums.
    I'd have thought Boards was nearing saturation point, or at least starting to see a slow down in the growth of the number of forums.

Of course, just because I can't think in terms of that kind of expansion don't mean squat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this already but for the record, from a regular mod's or user's point of view, the founder admins and the community admins are effectively the same right? As in there is no higher power to appeal to if say you don't like a decision by Beruthiel or BuffyBot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dades wrote: »
    I'd have thought Boards was nearing saturation point, or at least starting to see a slow down in the growth of the number of forums.

Of course, just because I can't think in terms of that kind of expansion don't mean squat. :)
    You might just be missing on the probable structure changes that will naturally come about (though this is not what is "planned" by a longshot).

As opposed to being one community site where you can discuss things in the various forums with all the people you know, the site is well down the road of developing its own sub-communities. Just look at Poker, Fitness and Cycling to see these in action. Within these sub-communites I think it can only be expected that these will act as mini-boards.ie's of their own, spawning their own subforums so their communities can discuss niche topics. So "Fitness" spawns, "Weightlifting", "Cardio", etc, while Cycling spawns, "Commuters", "MTBs", and so on.

Yes, there has to be a limit of sorts and there will be points where crossovers occur and forums are amalgamated or removed, but there is huge scope for expansion at the moment. Yes, people will tell you there are too many forums, but that's only if you're consider "boards.ie" to be the community. If you consider "Fitness" to be your community, then you might think that there aren't enough forums. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Guess what was playing on the radio when I clicked this thread?

/wanders off to the paranormal forum.

Javaboy
    That is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Now, there is an underlying current of wanting to be kept in the loop around here and I think you'd be hard pushed to find someone who is MORE about consultation and consensus then I am. That doesnt mean I need to consult everyone about every change. When we created non-admin "mods" (waay back when) there were howls of indignation. We did it anyway. In fact we've quite a history of "just doing things" so I dont think thats changed at all.

DeV.

There is also a tradition of long established users getting the hump and feicing off when changes "Just happen". I absolutely disagree that with the stance, "nothing we've been doing affects the user population". You've got a big plan and thats great, but small things do affect users. The Smod's may have been de-facto admins but the truth is they had no remit for the role they full filled. Their role has now been clarified and they've been given the backing to do the job they where doing anyway. This is all good.

Also, welcome IRLConor. You look extremely familiar tom e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

We now have three flavour of admins.
    "founders", the original 5...

Five? But isn't Vexorg gone, or am I missing somebody here?
    My intent is that in 2 years we'll have 10 times the traffic here on 2-3 times the number of forums. That Boards will mature (painfully, I'm sure) into the platform for Ireland.

Holy shit, that's certainly...ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

javaboy wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this already but for the record, from a regular mod's or user's point of view, the founder admins and the community admins are effectively the same right? As in there is no higher power to appeal to if say you don't like a decision by Beruthiel or BuffyBot.

Why pick on me :(

Who doesn't like my desicions?*

*question should not actually be answered.

• Advertisement

Nobody likes your decisions Buffy.
    Five? But isn't Vexorg gone, or am I missing somebody here?

Vex is part owner of this site.
    He will never be gone.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Vex is part owner of this site.
    He will never be gone.

That sounds like a threat Beruthiel, you don't frighten me.

Out here in the open. :o

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Boston wrote: »
    Also, welcome IRLConor. You look extremely familiar tom e

You might have seen me at a beers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Can i ask who the original 5 are? I presume you are the guys then that founded Boards.ie?

That sounds like a threat Beruthiel, you don't frighten me.

That's because you are a fool.

Monica Bing --> Clickeh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The founding five are -

/flash of steel blade........agggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

/evil giggles

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Monica Bing --> Clickeh

Someone might want to update that, between linking to vex for ads and the old definition of Admins...

Oh yeah?

Post reporte...ah fuck, nobody's going to reprimand an Admin are they?

You win this round, and every other round I would imagine, but I will be triumphant one day. And when that day happens...

*Shakes fist vaguely*

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Guess what was playing on the radio when I clicked this thread?

/wanders off to the paranormal forum.

Send in the Clowns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh yeah?

Wanna bet?

Post reported for personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Oh yeah?

You win this round, and every other round I would imagine, but I will be triumphant one day. And when that day happens...

*Shakes fist vaguely*

How does one shake a fist vaguely? Is the shaking that's vague? Maybe it's more a rotating/pumping motion. Or is the fist the vagueness? Maybe it's a foot? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Are you saying he was threathing to fist an admin?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How does one shake a fist vaguely? Is the shaking that's vague? Maybe it's more a rotating/pumping motion. Or is the fist the vagueness? Maybe it's a foot? :P

It's the intent behind the shaking that's vague. It offer's a mild threat but doesn't offer any kind of solid clarification on what the threat is. Like when somebody is asking your for directions when you're distracted and you just wave your hand in a vague direction saying: "Ahh, it's over there."
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Are you saying he was threathing to fist an admin?

Pointless. With my girlish little hands, they wouldn't feel a thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i like the new top bar thingy

IRLConor wrote: »
    You might have seen me at a beers or something.

Considering you where leaving trinity when I started its entirely possible that's from where.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Jazzy wrote: »
    i like the new top bar thingy
    I agree,it's a big improvement almost like a mini page.
    It's very clear and concise.
    /goes away happy.:)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Boston wrote: »
    Considering you where leaving trinity when I started its entirely possible that's from where.

True. I also help out in the rifle club so I'm around the campus a bit still.

IRLConor wrote: »
    True. I also help out in the rifle club so I'm around the campus a bit still.

That will be it. Joined the rifle soc all the way through college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

copacetic wrote: »
    Send in the Clowns?

Turn and face the strange (Ch-ch-Changes)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The original 5? What the frack is this all about? Frackin cylons!

Advertisement