Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] SKill training

• 19-05-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

As a new player to EVE I am trying to get my head around the idea of skill training.

Is there a way of speeding it up through gameplay, or is it just a case of paying my subs until my character is decent?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

What the heck is this doing in Political Theory!?

amazed,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Scofflaw wrote: »
    What the heck is this doing in Political Theory!?

amazed,
    Scofflaw

Indeed, it is a bit out of the way compared to where it was needed to be posted. Thanks for the move.
    fluffer wrote:
    As a new player to EVE I am trying to get my head around the idea of skill training.

Is there a way of speeding it up through gameplay, or is it just a case of paying my subs until my character is decent?

A lot of new players feel that they can never be decent enough to compete with the long time players of eve, THIS IS BULL****, just to let you know. It's very easy to kill 6 year old players in this game when your only a few days old all it takes is prep or a team of a few new players.

Time in this game means nothing really apart from maybe the size of ship you can fly or the more expensive guns you can use but most of this can be overcome even at a young age.

Find a corp, if you join the "irish" channel in game we can probably point you towards one corp or another, as Eve really is about team work and playing with others, sure you can still solo around killing people but its vastly more fun to be killing with a group of people.

Straight answer to your question no, you can't make your skills train faster by grinding anything in game. You can however use Implants and Attribute Remaps and Learning skills of course to decrease the amount of time taken to train other skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

What the hell?? How did my post end up in Political Theory!!?

amazed,
    fluffer

That was pretty mad. I was browsing Political Theory but I definitely clicked post on the eve forum.
    Attribute Remaps and Learning skills of course to decrease the amount of time taken to train other skills.
    I cant afford implants so I must take a look at remapping my attributes perhaps?

fluffer wrote: »
    What the hell?? How did my post end up in Political Theory!!?

amazed,
    fluffer

That was pretty mad. I was browsing Political Theory but I definitely clicked post on the eve forum.

I cant afford implants so I must take a look at remapping my attributes perhaps?

Remaps can only be done once a year, so use it more as a last option. Implants are cheap enough, +2 set cost you about 10mil max. Join Invar-Public channel they are a new corp made up of a few of my house mates and a few other Irish lads and then randoms. They will be able to help you start making isk and youll have a +3 set soon after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

What kind of ships should people be aiming for to be most effective quickly? I did mining with my character but got bored (not surprising!) as I knew people who'd been training for years and were still after stuff on the combat side. Obviously theres a train order to the skills (learning first etc) but I hadn't heard that people could be relatively effective in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Drakar wrote: »
    What kind of ships should people be aiming for to be most effective quickly? I did mining with my character but got bored (not surprising!) as I knew people who'd been training for years and were still after stuff on the combat side. Obviously theres a train order to the skills (learning first etc) but I hadn't heard that people could be relatively effective in a few days.

It really depends on your playing style. Some new players may focus on frigates and small weaponry and can be very potent quite quickly.

Myself, I like speed, tackling and generally being an ass, so I fly Interceptors, and focus my skills on speed, tracking, webbing and scrambling :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Where be this "Irish" channel on eve :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Stev_o wrote: »
    Where be this "Irish" channel on eve :eek:

Click on "channels & mailing lists" from the tab on the left
    click "Join"
    Type in "Irish" (w/o comma's)
    TheChrisD wrote: »
    It really depends on your playing style. Some new players may focus on frigates and small weaponry and can be very potent quite quickly.

Myself, I like speed, tackling and generally being an ass, so I fly Interceptors, and focus my skills on speed, tracking, webbing and scrambling :P

+1 for interceptors, I find them a lot of fun.
    They can also be a nice bargaining chip when your trying to join a good/well developed corp.
    You will often find that corps looking for 10mill SP players / tech 2 ship piloting and I believe interceptors are the quickest T2 ship to train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Krieg wrote: »
    You will often find that corps looking for 10mill SP players / tech 2 ship piloting and I believe interceptors are the quickest T2 ship to train.
    Spaceship Command 3, and Evasive Maneuvering 5 (x2) makes for a quick enough route into T2.

Although from there then you have to have to train High-Speed Maneuvering and MWD's :P

And I'm very surprised to see I'm still only around the 6M SP mark. I guess that over-extensive enforced break has me a little behind :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

fluffer wrote: »

Remapping is the quickest way to faster skill training, as a new player I think you get two remappings, anyone confirm that? Make sure your remapping matches what you want to train for a good while, ploughing everything in to social and forgetting perception only to find out after you've trained some of the social skills you want to concentrate on training ship skills!

The learning skills are usually a good choice for the first few skills to train and should be fairly fast with the new player training multiplyer. A good tool to have is Evemon http://evemon.battleclinic.com/ it's a great program to plan out skills and if your learning skills are lacking it will make some suggestions to speed things up! You can also make a plan up and play around with attributes to find out what will give you the largest training speed boost.

As for implants, the new player Epic mission arc is good to through, you'll get a number of skills as rewards, a few of the lower level implants for your troubles, along with some frigates and at least a basic grasp of the eve mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

The EvEmon looks useful. Downloading it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I fully recommend cruiser level 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

OMG attribute remapping.

must...re...sub
    charisma....too....high

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

pretty nice feature alright.. of course it should of been ingame for the last 4 + years :mad:

Had to put up with some ****ty perception on my main thanks to being an idiot and not reading up about what exactly attributes do when creating the character

mamolian wrote: »
    pretty nice feature alright.. of course it should of been ingame for the last 4 + years :mad:

Had to put up with some ****ty perception on my main thanks to being an idiot and not reading up about what exactly attributes do when creating the character

20+ charisma crew checking in.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

R0ot wrote: »
    20+ charisma crew checking in.. :pac:

True story. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

right so im a galainte (i spelt that wrong, sue me) who is aiming for pvp/fleet stuff and some minor piracy/hit and run fun. what should i be mappying me atributes to?
    i have two remaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

high perception and willpower, moderate intelligence and memory, low charisma, you can remap every 6 months so dont worry if you make a dogs-ear of it, dont neglect memory and intelligence too much btw

Advertisement