Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny...Libertas managed to explain why Im both libertas skeptical and euroskeptical

Options
  • 19-05-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Go to their home page, http://www.libertas.eu and use the calculator on the sidebar (left). Assume your national party gets all 13 seats.
    It says:
    With your national party, you only won 13 out of 785 seats
    With Libertas you can win 785 out of 785

It's clear from this poll that Irish interests will have hardly any impact on decision making in Europe since we only have 1.7% of the vote (my old Euromillions vs. National Lottery argument)

But Libertas aren't good for Ireland either, in fact they seem even more likely to be trying to form a superstate Europe. IF they get control of the parliament, presumably they'll all vote along a party line. And since they're a pan-European party you can bet that Irish interests will almost certainly not be their priority.

It takes me back to what I've said before: The only answer to the democratic deficit is to stop handing over power from national governments to the EU. Irish issues should be decided by the Irish people. That's what independence means. And until some party out there addresses the issue of centralization of power away from us, the people, I will remain euro skeptical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's not even an argument and is a pretty anti-democratic notion but that's what we've come to expect from Libertas.The word totalitarian springs to mind here, although delusion is a much better one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Libertas' EU Election Promise -

I swear this it their TOP issue and seems to be the issue that they are fighting on.

wait for it...

Its a MAJOR European issue...

"We will Publish details of all our expenses"

Yep - the TOP selling point to elect Libertas in Irealnd East is that they will publish their expense sheets every month.

I've looked at both sides of their flyer and there are no other policies stated. - Even SF do better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well I do agree that there should be far more accountability for the extravagance currently going on in Europe but even so it's a bad argument.
    If there was a true democratic option I'd vote for it but there really doesn't seem to be, because as Libertas have pointed out, our votes count for **** in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

And Colm Burke already does it Im sure.

Advertisement