Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documents Required By EA for new lease

Options
  • 19-05-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

Were currently looking at renting a new house and have finally found one we really like. When we told the EA we were interested in the house he said that they would require the following
    1. Work Reference
    2. Previous landlord reference
    3. PPS Number
    4. Photocopy of ID (Divers licence / Passport)

Ive no problem with the references, but requesting the PPS Number's & Passport/Drivers licence copy seems a bit much (and borders very close to identity theft since they want a bank statement for monthly standing order aswell if we take it).

Is this normal procedure when creating a new lease?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I just had to do exactly that, about 3 weeks ago.

It's illegal to photocopy passports, and the data protection commissioner was saying, only last week on national radio, not to give out your PPS number.

It's ridiculous, but I figured that for me, it wasn't worth the hassle of arguing about it.

Which EA out of curiousity? It was Lowe's in Rathmines in my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭gerryjuice

quozl wrote: »
    I just had to do exactly that, about 3 weeks ago.

It's illegal to photocopy passports, and the data protection commissioner was saying, only last week on national radio, not to give out your PPS number.

It's ridiculous, but I figured that for me, it wasn't worth the hassle of arguing about it.

Which EA out of curiousity? It was Lowe's in Rathmines in my case.

Ya im kind of thinking that we dont want to cause any fuss aswell since we really like to gaff.

The EA are Keystreet from mount street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The PPS number is needed to set you up with the PRTB.

Photocopy of ID is one I didn't have to do. I guess it's to ensure you are who you say you are? The pps number should cover that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IMO, the passport thing is an equality thing. If they only ask the foreigners, they get sued. They ask the foreigners for one, to get their name, and country of origin. They ask everyone for one, they don't get sued for discrimination...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It's all above board OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement