Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless people

Options
  • 19-05-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Well its not often that I be in Sligo except on a Saturday night.

But I was just wondering is there many or any people sleeping rough on the streets of Sligo?

The reason I ask is because I was out walking the mutt last night in the park in Ballymote. Never thought I would see the day when I saw someone sleeping rough in Ballymote. Poor lad was sleeping in the bandstand in the park.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I am not sure on the numbers. I think there is somehwere down in Fininsklin where homeless people can go to get a bed for the night. Whats worse is while canvassing with a local candidate in the elections, the amount of houses with nobody occupying them would sicken any right thinking person. To think even one person has to sleep rough while houses are empty is both saddening and angering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah, there is a homeless hostel down Finisklin road, as well as a halfway house type place for troubled youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 finbarr44

There are two homeless hostels on the Finisklin Rd, and a night shelter in Ballytivlan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

finbarr44 wrote: »
    There are two homeless hostels on the Finisklin Rd, and a night shelter in Ballytivlan.
    where about is that shelter in Ballytivnan?

it is beside St. John's hospital. A bungalow on the same side of the road

finbarr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭f00tball

There's a homeless lad usually outside Moffits at around 4 am. Seen him a few times a couple of weeks back. Also down at the book nest you'd see a couple of them lying about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

finbarr44 wrote: »

Only one now. Kazelan was closed down because of locals whingeing about drug addicts and blah blah coming round their area. - Knobs!

What you don't realise, is that the funding was suddenly stopped for the place and it closed just before someone in the local area who had a lot to do with it was going for re-election. Rather convenient wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 xX Mark Xx

Plenty hang around rockwood parade drinking. They are harmless but I dunno where they sleep. I remember hearing the used to sleep under the bridge beside the Riverside Hotel in the summer. Dunno if its true though.

Kazelain was not a homeless hostel, it was a hostel run by the Dept. of Justice for recovering addicts.
    There are two homeless hostels in finisklin and a night shelter in Ballytivlan.

Advertisement