Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for a sticky thread maybe?

• 19-05-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking that maybe we could have a sticky thread for albums that we have just bought, be it a new release or an old album.

We could say if we thought it was any good and why, and maybe that way people could find out about new music and class old stuff etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Clutch - Pure Rock Fury, my first Clutch album getting into the rest of the stuff.

A big wedge of deadly. Great album altogether. Buy it now, pay money, a liver, a spleen, whatever is close at hand. This album deserves to be played loud yiz cunts!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sounds like a decent idea, I'd certainly contribute to it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Had a bit of a splurge in the last three weeks on cds, was a mixture or getting gift vouchers plus having 70 quid built up for Amazon through Irish Opinions.

What I got was the following

Shinedown - The Sound Of Madness 8/10

This was just a fun rock album, catchy as hell, and full of good riffs. Yes it is very commercial, but it still rocks, and is without a duff filler track.

Heaven And Hell - The Devil You Know 6/10

Got this as I was getting the remasted/reissued versions of two Sabbath albums. It is an album that has a few really good tracks in the classic Sabbath vein, slow, heavy and sludgey, but it is also an album that never quite clicks. The singing is good, the guitar work is really good in places, and the bass/drums work, but something is slightly off.

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell & Paranoid. 8/10 and 8/10

H&H is my favourite Sabbath album, and my old cd had seen better days so I picked up the remastered version. Dio's first album with Sabbath and it is a corker. Full of huge epic tracks and vocals as only Dio can do.

Paranoid was the legacy edition of the album. It is a three disc album, with the remastered version of the original album, the 1974 Quadraphonic version of the album, plus the regent studio version of the album from 1970. Where H&H is my fave Sabbath album, this has to be the classic Sabbath album with tracks like War Pigs, Iron Man, Faries Wear Boots, Planet Caravan and the title track all being classics.

Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses remastered version - 9/10

I picked up the remastered Slow Deep and Hard last month and loved the sound quality, so picked up their second album this month, making it the fourth time I have bought this album on different formats. It was money well spent as the sound is great, far better than the original. Slow but catchy. Black Sabbath meets the Doors.

The Gaslight Anthem - That '59 Sound - 7/10

I liked their Sink Or Swim album so picked this up. It is still similar to their sound elsewhere. A mix of Springsteen, The Clash and Tom Petty, but with Springsteen being the most obvious one. If you like the names mentioned, especially Bruce, then you will like this.

Queensryche - American Soldier - 6/10

This one is still growing on me so my opinion may change. It is a concept album based on wars from the Vietnam era to now, with actual interviews and comments from real soldiers playing between and during songs. It is quite a brave album to make and Queensryche deserve credit for making it. But is it any good? So far I have to say yes, the opening five tracks being much better than the latter half of the album though. Those who know Queensryche know the sound to expect, those who do not can expect a mix of Dream Theatre, and Iron Maiden, which is prob not the best compliment to Queensryche as they predate Dream Theatre.

Crippled Black Phoenix -20o Tons Of Bad Luck 8/10

Take Pink Floyd, Electric Wizard, Nick Cave, Portishead, and some ELO, throw them all into a blender and you get this album. Very hard to pigeonhole and all the better for it. A prog album that could appeal to non prog fans imho.

Greenday 21st Century Breakdown - 1/10

Listened to this three times, and on each listen I disliked it more. Thought
    I might like it as I really liked American Idiot, but this, for me, is a very weak album. Will be dumped on my friend's kid asap.

The Parlor Mob - And You Were A Crow - 7/10

Another band that sound like an old band. In this case Led Zepplin. Damn catchy album with vocals that could be a young Plant. If you like Zepplin or the Black Crowes then this could be a good buy.

Duff McKagan's Loaded - Sick - 7/10

Duff shows that he has a good voice that can stand across an album worth of tracks. It comes across a bit of a Velvet Revolver album but in a good way. It carries elements of all Duff's previous bands and works them together quite well.

Viking Skull - Doom, Gloom, Whiskey, And Heartache 7/10

A cracking album that you can roar and growl along with.

Joe Bonamassa The Ballad Of John Henry 8/10

It's Joe and his guitar. Nuff said.

Thin Lizzy - Still Dangerous 6/10

Too short, and mising too many songs that were recorded that night. Am a huge Lizzy fan but this left me feeling shortchanged and I put on Live And Dangerous straight after it to get my Lizzy Fix.

Picked up a few other albums but they would not really be for this forum as it was the likes of PJ Harvey etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

My Clutch - Pure Rock Fury album review

First off a few months back I had never heard of Clutch, zilch, nada. SHAME ON ME!

One day playing Hitman Contracts there was a song playing in a level that just hit me. I had one thought and one thought alone. This song deserves to be played loud and on big ****in' speakers! That song was 'Immortal', after tracking down said song and the band from whence it came. I bought the album on Amazon. Downloading this is an insult to Clutch and to music in general. This one deserves your hard-earned wedge. Why?

Because after giving it so many spins, 'Immortal' which is still a great song has now just moved into a series of great songs which are all great even 'Careful with that mic' which didn't click initially but has some groove in the chorus and the lyrics are just madball Neil Fallon but they work.
    And you just can't listen to a few songs at a time. You think you can but it just grabs ya in and doesn't let go until the live version of 'Spacegrass' fades away, which imo outshines the 'Clutch' album version by a country mile.

In conclusion, buy this album for yourself, your friends, family, hell even your grandmother. Leave them with the album and if they still don't like it after a week they should be disqualified from the human race for having no groove, soul or the ability to appreciate a good riff. Now raise a brew and have a drink to the dead while you're still alive and may we all join them in good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Good idea for a thread as long as it doesn't mutate into another postcount whore thread with no discussion/reviews.

I'll throw a few up myself later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Got Chimaira's latest offering. I love the band but they seem to be just ripping off their own riffs on this one. Well worth a listen if you're a fan but definitely not a great album to start listening to if you're just getting into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Picked up Iron Maiden's Flight 666 this morning.

Gets 8/10 from me as am a big Maiden fan for nearly 30 years.

It falls behind Live After Death and Rock In Rio in terms of Maiden live albums, imho, but is still a cracking live album.

Think Live After Death with the Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son tours mixed in. (Yes I know Fear Of The Dark is on this album but it is the only post 1988 song there)

Maiden fans will love this, non Maiden fans will not.

Came close to getting Marilyn Manson's new album as I had heard it is far better than the dirge he has been releasing on his last few albums, but resisted until I can get a listen to the album elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MarthaT

Sounds like a great idea OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

+1, er, too!

Last album bought was reissue of Crowbars self titled album (10/10 from me!).

Oh and also Two Tales of Woe's album. (8/10).

Advertisement