Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HONDA Shadow 1100 1990 NOT STARTING

• 19-05-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I have a non starter Shadow 1100. It has been laid up for a while. The battery was fully charged. All lights, Indicators and horn work. The starter is not even trying to turn over. I have been told that the starter may be stuck and a tap or two with a hammer is worth a shot? I need to find the starter motor location?

Any help would be great!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

MKEOGHAN wrote: »
    Hi, I have a non starter Shadow 1100. It has been laid up for a while. The battery was fully charged. All lights, Indicators and horn work. The starter is not even trying to turn over. I have been told that the starter may be stuck and a tap or two with a hammer is worth a shot? I need to find the starter motor location?

Any help would be great!!!!

the starter motor is the round thing with a spline going in to the crank casing

http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/24/30/9ac0_1.JPG

its behind the rear cylinder somewhere tap it hard all overwith a wooden handle of a hammer

if that dosent work take it off and see if it spins without lod
    is the solenoid clicking when you press the starter button

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MKEOGHAN

There is a clicking noise when I press the starter motor. The headlight dims while the starter is pressed. I have double checked all the cables from the battery and they seem fine. I have had the battery on charge all day. I will charge it again tomorrow morning. I will try and find the starter in the morning and give it a few taps.

Let you know tomorrow....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Can you start it via push start? If so it seems to be the starter motor as stated above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Do you hear a click?

It would be unusual for a starter to stick.
    Sounds very like the battery isn't makinpower to attempt a start, try connecting another battery or jump leads from a car.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Got the Starter to attempt and start. This was managed by tapping the starter motor with the hammer. The battery is dead. New battery will be ready tomorrow. - So that is that.

Thanks for the help.

Mick

• Advertisement

did she start?

Yep - We have lift off - Need to get the back wheel fixed now though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thebinkyboy

i am having the same problem with my shadow i have a brand new battery and it still will not turn over the problem is getting worse and worse it used to be that i would have to try and start it over and over and it would finally turn over and start with no problem now does not want to turn over at all. headlight dims when i try to start it so it seems that the starter switch is working. tried tapping starter with no luck(might be doing something wrong?). was told to spray WD40 into start switch by local shop bad idea that is when it went for sometimes starting to not at all. but if that is the problem then why when the starter switch is pushed the lights dim that must mean that the switch is working right? please help i can not afford to take bike in and i need it to get to school? thank you

i am having the same problem with my shadow i have a brand new battery and it still will not turn over the problem is getting worse and worse it used to be that i would have to try and start it over and over and it would finally turn over and start with no problem now does not want to turn over at all. headlight dims when i try to start it so it seems that the starter switch is working. tried tapping starter with no luck(might be doing something wrong?). was told to spray WD40 into start switch by local shop bad idea that is when it went for sometimes starting to not at all. but if that is the problem then why when the starter switch is pushed the lights dim that must mean that the switch is working right? please help i can not afford to take bike in and i need it to get to school? thank you

does it go click or does the lights just dim

the click would be the switchy thing under the saddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thebinkyboy

it was not clicking but i did find out the problem if it helps any one there is four contact points in the start switch when you push the switch in two of the points loss contact (these are for the headlight) and the two contacts to start the bike are now connected. well my contacts got grinded down a little and did not touch the contacts to start the bike so the head light would dim but the bike would not start

• Advertisement
Advertisement