Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99 Designs - What's the Verdict?

Options
  • 19-05-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

99 Designs

I just came across this cool site where clients post a brief up and how much they are willing to pay for it. Then designers throw logos or whatever at the client and they choose which ones they like.

If the person is chosen, they get the cash. That's it!

I was just wondering if anyone here uses it and if they have ever won anything. It's a really cool concept and if anything else it could be used to build up a portfolio.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

It's all a matter of opinion, but I personally can't stand 99designs or any other design contest sites.

The idea of producing work with a small promise of getting paid? No thanks! I'd rather do some real work. The quality of the stuff on that site is hilariously awful as well.

If your gonna do it though, I'd recommend logosauce.com. The quality of the work there is a lot better and you're gonna learn a lot more about logo design being beaten by people who are actually good at it.

Here's an article thats against design contests (that site has a lot of really interesting articles about the debate):
    http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_blog/index.php/logo-design-contest/

And here's one thats pro:
    http://www.specdebate.com/index.php?p=view&id=1

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

If you're lookng to make money they're not the way to go. If you've got spare time and money isn't an issue, you can do whatever kind of design you want and retain the rights to the work (correction?)
    Nice if you wanna build a folio of work YOU like.

But yeah, the only people who use 99designs as a means of earning money are the people living in countries where $500 is a months pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

It's a stupid idea.

There's loads of things up there are a rip-off of other work, it's so obvious.

And I wouldn't submit my work there in the hope of getting paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

99designs to me and many I know is brilliant. All this bashing that it gets here on boards is cleary from those with a vested interest.
    I've used it to get work done for my business and its been inventive,affordable and creative.
    Thats why its so successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Obviously it's not going to be a main earner for anyone but I think I'll enter a few over the summer when I've got loads of time to waste. And it'd be nice to add to a portfolio, I'd say.

• Advertisement

im...LOST wrote: »
    Obviously it's not going to be a main earner for anyone but I think I'll enter a few over the summer when I've got loads of time to waste. And it'd be nice to add to a portfolio, I'd say.

good on ya........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

im...LOST wrote: »

Exactly the situation for me. Since I'm at Uni I just do the odd competition here and there. To be honest I don't take them anywhere near as seriously as I do proper design commissions as the majority of people on there just want a basic web 2.0 logo which is piss easy to make.

I've entered a few throughout my uni year and have earned a couple of hundred from doing it. It's a nice wee earner when I've no other way of money.

In fact, the very first contest I won was for a medical firm and 2 years later they've contacted me outside of 99designs to do some more design work for them. So it has many positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It's not really a good way to earn money or learn about the normal design process, but if you're a student could be a fun way to practice and to try answer a real brief and build up a few projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Grafenwalder

I just stumbled across 99 designs and lookin at previous post the result is split.

I am interested in entering a few, for experience mostly but cash would be nice too!!!

Could any1 clarify if the prize is put up as 300$ do you not receive that if ur design is chosen?

If you win, you get the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Who owns the copyright to the non-winning entries? That would be my only objection I supose. (and I havent looked at the site...)

In a lot of competitions you hand over the rights to your work in the small print and those I wouldnt go near.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

I tried it out for a few weeks, submitting about 10 logo designs. My opinion is that your time doesn't equal money. I've often been disappointed by the choice of winners. And now that they've made most of the competitons private it's hard to gauge how you fare in the process as well.
    But then again, if you've got the time, it doesn't hurt to try a few comps out.

As for copyright, once the comps have ended there's nothing stopping anyone ripping off your designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I feel those sites are degrading to designers. Its hard to get work fullstop that pays a fair price for your services, but to do the work for free then hope the person picks it really makes my blood boil.

Advertisement