Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get decent cheap firewood, logs etc.

Options
  • 19-05-2009 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello everyone.

Not sure if this is in the right place.

A friend of mine has a house down the country with a big open fire place in it.

We are hoping to head down some weekend soon for a bit of relaxing.

Does anyone have info on where to buy good decent firewood, logs etc etc.

We are based in Dublin.

If you know of a business or "stockist", please feel free to pm me.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

If you get any replies from Donegal, please let us know.

We have fallen trees here but disability means we cannot use a chainsaw.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

most of the hardware stores have kiln dried timber in bags: might be better to source it closer to where it is needed.

The garages and smaller convenience stores have it also but in many cases the quality is crap, the timber being by and large very wet in th bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bk2020

sorella wrote: »

Thank you

Thanks for this Sorella.
    I am actually based in Dublin. But I don't know the legality of this issue, so I hope I'm not promoting anything ropey or enviornmentally unsound!! :(

Thank you as well Carlow52 for your info:
    The garages and smaller convenience stores have it also but in many cases the quality is crap, the timber being by and large very wet in th bags.

Looks like I'm going to have to go with this option.

Thanks Folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Depending on where down the country is, some of the agri supply stores e.g Connaught Gold (roscomon mayo sligo) sell this stuff by the bag. Also if you are travelling west turn off the M4 just before the toll booth (Kilcock junction) and take the old N4 west to kinnegad. there is a farm near Clonard selling turf and logs according to sign on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

bk2020 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Not sure if this is in the right place.

A friend of mine has a house down the country with a big open fire place in it.

What part of the country is the house :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bk2020

Hi Folks.

The house is in Roscommon.

However I was looking for a Dublin area stockist so I could use them again and again.
    And also, I would like to head off with wood in the van , so its one less thing to do when we get down there.
    We're looking at a Friday evening after work departure. So it would be great to leave Dublin, drive straight there and relax for the weekend.

Thanks for all comments so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Check with a couple of farmers in the area where you have the house. I'd be surprised if there wouldn't be a few lads around willing to sell a fallen tree to you. It'll be cheap enough if you're handy with a chainsaw and you're willing to clean up after you. If you're looking in the Dublin area, there's a place in Coolquay that has a mountain of logs in the yard. Wouldn't do any harm enquiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

I have some, based in d15, was cut in september so it's still a little bit moist but it lasts longer! PM if you still need some. can help you load it up too :D

it's beech wood by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

...I'd be surprised if there wouldn't be a few lads around willing to sell a fallen tree to you. It'll be cheap enough if you're handy with a chainsaw and you're willing to clean up after you...

How much is the going "cheap" rate for a fallen tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thats always a good one,and kind of a how long is a piece of string question.Depends on what type of tree it is.How long it is down or lying,and how much a chancer the seller or buyer is.:)
    If it is a hardwood,like oak,ash ,beech etc it will fetch more than soft woods.Potential buyers will always try the cheapest price and the sellers themore expensive .If the buyer is a pro timber cutter,you can be assured he wil knock out a profit from it.if however you are a newbie and can convince the seller you just want the crown and toppings,not the main trunk.Which is a lot handier wood to cut and work with than the trunk.You might be looking around the 100/150 Euro mark for a mature Beech crown.?
    Word on Chainsaws.
    BE DAMN careful with them.If you have never used one.Go away and hire in somone who is insured and KNOWS how to use one safley and will show you how to use it properly.Buy and use the saftey gear.I cant emphise this enough!100 quid is money well spent on this.Otherwise SUTURE self!!:eek:.Get them to show you how to break up the tree.It isnt a matter of just flaying away with the saw at branches.Things can go horribly wrong quickly when you are cutting up a tree.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ...Word on Chainsaws.
    BE DAMN careful with them.If you have never used one.Go away and hire in somone who is insured and KNOWS how to use one safley and will show you how to use it properly.Buy and use the saftey gear.I cant emphise this enough!100 quid is money well spent on this.Otherwise SUTURE self!!:eek:.Get them to show you how to break up the tree.It isnt a matter of just flaying away with the saw at branches.Things can go horribly wrong quickly when you are cutting up a tree.:eek:

Thanks Grizzly, I've got a Stihl ms280, ms361 and my pride and joy, ms660 so I take great care...... and agree with all you've said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi.

I'm in the Dublin area looking for cheap firewood, or firewood free to take away if anyone has some?

About a car boot full of logs would be nice!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 snowy two

sorella wrote: »

Thank you

hi do you still have the trees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Try phoning tree surgeons. They get paid for felling the trees. To get rid of the debris afterwards is a problem, sometimes they pay people to take it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

recedite wrote: »
    Try phoning tree surgeons. They get paid for felling the trees. To get rid of the debris afterwards is a problem, sometimes they pay people to take it away.

Tree surgeons sell all wood that they cut these days. there is great demand for it. They might give you the mulshed leaves and branches for free, but they all know the value of firewood these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Just saw a clip on CNN about the Australian Flood and with it the closure of some Aussie Coal mines for up to 6 months. They are now buying coal from Russia Poland etc and this is sure to have an effect on coal prices for next year.

Seems like the time to start buying a little bit of forestry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

reilig wrote: »
    Tree surgeons sell all wood that they cut these days. there is great demand for it. They might give you the mulshed leaves and branches for free, but they all know the value of firewood these days.
    You have to be prepared to go in at short notice to cut it up yourself, transport it, then later split it, and season it before you get the "free firewood". When they are busy, they haven't time for all that.

Advertisement