Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Advice for a HTPC Case

Options
  • 19-05-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I'm upgrading my PC to a Core i7 build. It has a Silverstone TJ09 case so I'm looking for a suitable HTPC case for the all componants I'll be replacing.Because of this the motherboard for the HTPC will be ATX. I was hoping to find an ATX HTPC case that would'nt be too big and would have:

2 x 5.25 external bays (I wat to instal an iMon VFD on one 5.25 bay).
    1 x external 3.25 bay (For a Media Card Reader).
    2 x internal 3.25 bays (For two HDDs).

Does anyone have any advice on this?
    Which is the best HTPC case?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Gerb98 wrote:
    I was hoping to find an ATX HTPC case that would'nt be too big

Oxymoron alert :p

Given those specific requirements there isn't much choice. The Silverstone SST-LC17S is cheapish at €90 but its huge and I don't know if any fans are bundled, plus it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Superflower SF103BK might work if you strip out the cheapo LCD panel, but the build quality is inferior and you're talking over €95 anyway when you add on the delivery from Germany :( All the other ATX HTPC cases I've seen so far don't have both twin 5.25" bays and the extra 3.5" bay for the card reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

I could live without the 3.5 inch bay. But I would want two 5.25 bays because I think the iMon is a must for one of the bays on a HTPC.

In regards to the oxymoron, when I mentioned.....
    Gerb68 wrote: »
    I was hoping to find an ATX HTPC case that would'nt be too big....

I was particularly taking about Silverstone cases because ther huge for HTPC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I know the Silverstones are really pushing the boundaries, yet any HTPC case capable of carrying a full ATX mobo, full-height cards and an ATX2.2 PSU is gonna dwarf the oldskool amps they try so desperately to mimic :P

And the "blank" Fusion without the VFD or PSU would have been ideal, but I haven't seen any around. In fact the majority of affordable "heavy HTPC" cases about at the moment are either giant Silverstones or have VFD kits already installed.

Advertisement