Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle

Options
  • 19-05-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone let me know if they would recommend Dingle for a family holiday thinking of going to Radharc na Mara houses during the summer. Is there much for children and adults alike. Dont want to spend the week driving to different destinations. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Dingle is a beautiful place for a family holiday. If you're just staying in the one place then there's plenty to do for the kids i.e. Funghi day trip, Rock climbing, Ocean world etc. if you do a tiny bit of driving around, there are some amazing places to visit. The nearby Conor Pass, Castlegregory and the Maharees, Mt. Brandon, Brandon village and point, Glenteenasig forest park, Anascaul lake, long stretches of beaches from Derrymore all the way up to Cloghane village, Slea head, Dunquinn. The Dingle world war 2 bunker ontop of the mountain directly south west of town offers amazing views of the surrounding areas and across to the Iveragh peninsula.

Needless to say, highly recommended, tho i am a proud (biased ;)) Kerry man, so perhaps someone more objectivist can chime in with another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Age of kids?

Tbh, there's plenty to do around the area if you get the weather, esp. for younger kids ... apart altogether from tourist facilities as such, the whole west of the peninsula is a cornucopia of beaches, walks, archaeology, scenery, etc., and none of it more than a 20 minute drive from the town. There's a fair bit to do around the town as well, once you're not expecting Disneyworld! :)

Only real disadvantage is that there are no beaches in / beside the town itself ... nearest would be Beenbawn, I guess, maybe a 5 minute drive?

If you get rained on for the week, your options are more limited, but then, isn't that true anywhere in Ireland? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Those are the ones up behind the fish factory I think.Can be a bit of a whiff at times. Handy for town though and you are beside the aquarium. The Dingle world of leisure is good for rainy days too.

"This is a complete all weather family entertainment complex, with cosmic ten pin bowling, American style pool tables, children’s activity gym, interactive amusements & café / coffee dock. Holiday memberships are available to the Harmony Health Club, complete with state of the art gym, swimming pool, sauna, Turkish steam room and hydro spa. "

Don't forget Murphy's Icecream!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fear na gCrub

There's a corn maze at the top of the town during the summer and kids love it. Also there's Scanlons pet farm about 5 miles away which is in a lovely setting. Places like Galluras Oratory are equally satisfying for children and parents. Plenty of beaches too. Great place to bring kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

Yes. Murphy's icecream is worth a visit. A bit pricey though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fear na gCrub

Agree about Murphys ice cream being a bit pricey. The Garden Cafe by the church is nice and not as expensive, no ice cream mind. There's also a new climbing wall just outside the town that's supposed to be good, suitable for kids too. The bowling alley has lots of stuff for kids.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Murphys is not cheap, but it is made from proper stuff, not artificial stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SavoA

Hi All,

Thanks for replying to me i'll take note of all those areas to visit. Cant wait to go and I've heard that Murphys Ice Cream is to die for.......Change of plan for accommodation staying in Harbour View Cottages they look nice anyone know about them.

The kids are from 5yrs to 14yrs so seems theres everything they need just pray for good weather!!! Planning to go on fungi trip and swim anyone go on that....

:) Anyway thanks again for all your information I didnt find out any of that on websites.

you can walk out to see Fungie, if you drive out the Tralee road, take the bohreen beyond the Skellig, v rough so take it easy, but short walk on path out to the tower and Fungie hangs out there, swimming trips are early a.m. There is a new rock climbing wall out at Ballinaboula,neat the Murpy's Icecream factory, if weather is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Just back from Dingle. Brilliant time with 3 kids (6,4, 1.5). Stayed in the Southbound Holiday cottages. Excellant location and well kept with a tennis court and playground for the kids. Went to see Fungi and he turned up and swam beside the boat. Kids delighted. Bennys pub and the chinese were excellant and a restaurant on the corner opposite the yellow pub at the bridge worth a mention. Didnt try Murphys (€9 for 2 cones???). Ventry beach was beautiful and went for a swim in Irish water for the first time in 25 years. Blasket centre in Dunquin was very interesting and the Slea Head drive out to it is worth it for the views alone. Not crazy on Dingle world of Leisure (Bray amusements).
    Went to Tralee for the aquadome and again kids loved it. The view on the way into Tralee from dingle is like something in the Med/Riviera. Dingle aquarium was also well worth a visit. Treated ourselves to 2 nights in Dingle Skellig at the end of the week and it was worth every penny. Great food and a kids club and creche. Overall one of the best weeks we had and the weather wasnt even that great. In the words of the Governor of the most bankrupt state in America "I'll be back"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

kaltz wrote: »
    Didnt try Murphys (€9 for 2 cones???).
    Is it gone that bad now? ... it was always high.

Yeah, definitely a once in a blue moon treat, but unless their standards have fallen, one to remember.

Not to be wasted on kids though until they get to a discriminating age ... ;)

Glad ye enjoyed yourselves! :)

Advertisement