Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is your favourite?

• 19-05-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Pretty straight forward really! Which book is your favourite? And which is your least favourite? For me, my favourite is GOF. When I first read i was just so blown away and the twist at the end was just crazy! I was like 11 at the time and it just completely amazed me! But my top spot is very closely followed by HBP and DH. My least favourite is definitely OotP, i just thought it was too long and really bloated, she could have cut so much out and would have a much better quality book IMO.

So go on, your turn :D

Which Harry Potter book is your favourite? 50 votes

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    0% 0 votes
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    6% 3 votes
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    6% 3 votes
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    28% 14 votes
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    24% 12 votes
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    18% 9 votes
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    18% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

My favourite would be DH, just because all the questions are finally answered! Closely followed by PoA (I just love Sirius) My least favourite would be GoF, I found it so boring in parts and other parts made no sense, I had to re-read it to get the whole story. It even my least favourite in the film series.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

DH is my favourite too. I love how all the questions are answered, and I just love the battle scene at the school too! Much as I thought OoTP could have been condensed a good bit, I have to give a nod to the Weasley's exit of the school, that was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lostanddribling

Toots* wrote: »
    Much as I thought OoTP could have been condensed a good bit, I have to give a nod to the Weasley's exit of the school, that was brilliant!

Oh yeah their exit was brilliant!Like even though OotP was my least favourite I still do like it (Umbridge!!Such a love/hate thing I feel for her :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

My favourites are the Deathly Hallows and Order of the Phoenix. I voted for the Order, as it begging of end , lines are drawn, and friendships are made. It shows that with a bit of right type of teaching, any one can do any thing, most of the DA was able to do a Patronus Charm, which is suppose to very difficult .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

The one I enjoyed the most at the time was the Chamber of Secrets because, as epic as the overall plot is, what first appealed to me about HP was the whole boarding school aspect of it and the way people lived in Hogwarts - it was a great form of escapism. I loved reading about them doing typical Hogwartsy stuff. And CoS has a lot of that in it :) Before DH came out, I was quite disappointed that it wasn't going to be set in Hogwarts, but then when I read it it was just BRILLIANT. Probs tied fave with CoS :D I dunno, I enjoyed them all equally more or less! OotP is my probs least fave because it kinda dragggged on and it was becoming increasingly evident that she was under pressure to get the books finished. But even so, I still couldn't put it down! :P

On a side note JK said that CoS was the hardest one to write. Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well ive just recently re read 6 of the 7 books in series(just started DH) there one directly after each other and my fave is deffinatly still Prisoner of Azkaban. Everything about that book just flows, the character progression is great and i find the writing to have deffinatly been joes best.

Least faveourite would without a shadow of a doubt be Deathly hollows. I thought the writing was clumsy, the pacing slow and tedius at times. The whole fact that it kept on alternating between the deathly hollows and horcruxes cracked me up and the way everything just seemed to happen by accident was really an anticlimax.

On a side note, fave film was Ootp(they changed a good bit but at least the film was entertaining) and least fave would be the first two(i dunno though is this just the fact there too kiddie for me these days having grown up with harry potter).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Favourite? Definitely the first film in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My favourites are HBP and PoA. PoA because it is the first book where things start turning a bit darker, the film of it is also great. HBP because I was left with SO many questions and couldn't wait for them to be answered!

My least favourite book and film is probably GoF, a lot of the plot just seems pointless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dazf

GOF does it for me, i think iv read it about 20 times now, i just love the introduction of new characters like Bagman etc. My least is either OOTP(way too long) or COS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thinking about it, I think OotP is my favourite. I cry without fail for the last few chapters. My least favourites are either the first one (simply because it's written for a very young audience and I find that a bit frustrating as an adult - the rest of the books are a lot more grown up), or GoF because I thought it was a bit long and the Quidditch world cup thing really bored me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,685 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Halfblood Prince book was really something else. It really starts to pull together a lot of the loose threads and shock the hell out of you in a few places. Its pretty much the climax book of the series. Deathly Hallows spent too much time wandering around the woods on a camping trip imo.

For the movies so far the OoTP has them all beat easilly. Its so far been the best fit for Michael Gambon (Dumbledore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mantom

Deathly Hallows, definitely! Probably the best book ever written. It has happiness, sadness, fighting, love, everything. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Father Stone

Azkaban, mainly because it's the first one I ever read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

1. DH
    2. HBP
    3. POA
    4. GOF
    5. OOTP
    6. PS
    7. CS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

While I think POA was the best book, my favourite is OOTP because it is so big and it is also the one where the sh!t hits the fan. Conversely, while COS was the worst book, my least favourite is DH because it was one long camping trip in the woods, extremely anti-climactic and generally not as fun as the others. The fact it was the shortest book since the third also put a damper on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Azkaban, mainly because it's the first one I ever read!
    Same here!

I also agree with Monellia - the earlier ones where there is a lot of Hogwarts stuff provides a lot of escapism.

Of the later books, DH is my favourite - ironically due in large part to its not being set in Hogwarts! I found GOF to be the least interesting of the series, but that's not to say that I didn't enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciano12

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix's savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 09828

Goblet of fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Goblet of fire is the best for me :D.
    Not too keen on the prisnor of askaban :o.

• Advertisement
Advertisement